DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Condensing boilers- inside info (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/114122-condensing-boilers-inside-info.html)

Peter Scott July 20th 05 06:35 PM

Condensing boilers- inside info

A CORGI-registered installer, who is also a trusted acquaintance, was
installing a bottled gas supply for my cooker. I got chatting about
changing my oil-fired boiler to Calor as it is getting old and oil does
not seem likely to come down in price soon or ever. He said 'don't'.

His experience, and that of people he knows, is the new condensing
boilers have poor reliability. He thinks that the rushed and ill-
conceived rules resulted in poorly tested boilers. Apparently before
long all new oil boilers are also going to have to be condensers and
he thinks that problems could happen with them as well. He advised
me to install a new oil boiler before the new regs, if I thought I
might go down that route. He has given up boiler installations for
the time being, until the equipment improves.

Peter Scott

Scanned using Norton Antivirus 2004 before being sent

Rod July 20th 05 09:27 PM

"Peter Scott" wrote in
:

A CORGI-registered installer, who is also a trusted acquaintance, was
installing a bottled gas supply for my cooker. I got chatting about
changing my oil-fired boiler to Calor as it is getting old and oil does
not seem likely to come down in price soon or ever. He said 'don't'.

His experience, and that of people he knows, is the new condensing
boilers have poor reliability. He thinks that the rushed and ill-
conceived rules resulted in poorly tested boilers. Apparently before
long all new oil boilers are also going to have to be condensers and
he thinks that problems could happen with them as well. He advised
me to install a new oil boiler before the new regs, if I thought I
might go down that route. He has given up boiler installations for
the time being, until the equipment improves.

Have you checked the price of Calor against that of oil? (On a 'per KWh'
basis.) Last time I did so, oil suddenly sounded quite cheap. In fact, it
got surprisingly close to electricity sounding affordable.

And just why should a condensing boiler be so much less reliable than a
non-condensing one? From what I have heard, if it has the name Poxi-
Batterton that might be sufficient reason.

--
Rod

Doctor Drivel July 20th 05 09:52 PM

"Peter Scott" wrote in message
A CORGI-registered installer, who is also a trusted acquaintance, was
installing a bottled gas supply for my cooker. I got chatting about
changing my oil-fired boiler to Calor as it is getting old and oil does
not seem likely to come down in price soon or ever. He said 'don't'.

His experience, and that of people he knows, is the new condensing
boilers have poor reliability. He thinks that the rushed and ill-
conceived rules resulted in poorly tested boilers. Apparently before
long all new oil boilers are also going to have to be condensers and
he thinks that problems could happen with them as well. He advised
me to install a new oil boiler before the new regs, if I thought I
might go down that route. He has given up boiler installations for
the time being, until the equipment improves.

He is right and he is wrong.
The best condensers have:

- top mounted pre-mix burners,
- one piece heat exchangers,
- bottom mounted flues from exchanger.

The better makes have these: Glow Worm condensers, W-B Greenstar, Ideal
Istar/Icos, Keston. These are dedicated condensing boilers, designed from
scratch only to be condensing boilers.

To get their existing models in line for the April 1st deadline many makers
added on a secondary heat exchanger in addition to the existing
non-condensing heat exchanger, and still normal bottom mounted rail burners.
This converts them to condensers. AVOID these converstions like the plague.

For e.g., Ideal have converted many of their models to condensers, yet have
the superior dedicated ICOS and ISTAR range, which cost about £80-100 more.
That difference is buttons.

Dedicated condensers are NOT less reliable than others. They are the same
as non-condensers except they have condensate drain connections and larger
heat exchangers, that's all. The controls are identical in most cases.
When the burner is top mounted they don't require cleaning, the condensate
washes down the inside.

Your friend needs to know what models of boilers to fit. LPG is not cheaper
than oil from what I understand, although LPG boilers are much cheaper than
gas to but=y and fit, so capital savings go a long way to pay for any extra
LPG cost. Oil condensers are just not worth it as the fuel saving is small
to gas condensers, and the price hype is "large".

chris French July 20th 05 10:58 PM

In message , Rod
writes
"Peter Scott" wrote in
:

His experience, and that of people he knows, is the new condensing
boilers have poor reliability. He thinks that the rushed and ill-
conceived rules resulted in poorly tested boilers.

And just why should a condensing boiler be so much less reliable than a
non-condensing one?

From what I have heard, if it has the name Poxi-
Batterton that might be sufficient reason.

Suggestion I've heard is that some manufacturers have brought some
boilers to market with not enough experience of them or of rushed
designs which have been lacking in some respects.

However there are companies such as Worcester, Vallaint etc. who do make
reliable condensing boilers
--
Chris French

John Rumm July 21st 05 04:01 AM

Peter Scott wrote:

A CORGI-registered installer, who is also a trusted acquaintance, was
installing a bottled gas supply for my cooker. I got chatting about
changing my oil-fired boiler to Calor as it is getting old and oil does
not seem likely to come down in price soon or ever. He said 'don't'.

His experience, and that of people he knows, is the new condensing
boilers have poor reliability. He thinks that the rushed and ill-
conceived rules resulted in poorly tested boilers. Apparently before
long all new oil boilers are also going to have to be condensers and
he thinks that problems could happen with them as well. He advised
me to install a new oil boiler before the new regs, if I thought I
might go down that route. He has given up boiler installations for
the time being, until the equipment improves.

One of those rare occasions I would agree with Drivel!

The change in the law will to an extent reinforce the old wives tale
about poor reliability. We had got to the stage where many of the
condensers available were properly designed 2nd/3rd generation models
with good reliability. The older designs (i.e. lash ups based on
existing conventional boiler designs) were dying out. Now of course all
the makers will be rushing to "fix" their existing model ranges to be
compliant - causing a step back to dodgy technology in many cases.

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Hall July 21st 05 09:22 AM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 04:01:43 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Peter Scott wrote:

A CORGI-registered installer, who is also a trusted acquaintance, was
installing a bottled gas supply for my cooker. I got chatting about
changing my oil-fired boiler to Calor as it is getting old and oil does
not seem likely to come down in price soon or ever. He said 'don't'.

His experience, and that of people he knows, is the new condensing
boilers have poor reliability. He thinks that the rushed and ill-
conceived rules resulted in poorly tested boilers. Apparently before
long all new oil boilers are also going to have to be condensers and
he thinks that problems could happen with them as well. He advised
me to install a new oil boiler before the new regs, if I thought I
might go down that route. He has given up boiler installations for
the time being, until the equipment improves.

One of those rare occasions I would agree with Drivel!

I'll send the van.

The change in the law will to an extent reinforce the old wives tale
about poor reliability. We had got to the stage where many of the
condensers available were properly designed 2nd/3rd generation models
with good reliability. The older designs (i.e. lash ups based on
existing conventional boiler designs) were dying out. Now of course all
the makers will be rushing to "fix" their existing model ranges to be
compliant - causing a step back to dodgy technology in many cases.

This was done a few years back when the 78% requirement happened.
Some achieved this by making the pilot electronic.

It is fairly easy to work out which manufacturers have bodged though.
Most seem to have properly engineered products now...

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Doctor Drivel July 21st 05 09:43 AM

wrote:

Peter Scott wrote:

[...]

Oh Good. Free boilers.

The change in the law will to an extent reinforce the old wives tale
about poor reliability. We had got to the stage where many of the
condensers available were properly designed 2nd/3rd generation models
with good reliability. The older designs (i.e. lash ups based on
existing conventional boiler designs) were dying out. Now of course all
the makers will be rushing to "fix" their existing model ranges to be
compliant - causing a step back to dodgy technology in many cases.

This was done a few years back when the 78% requirement happened.
Some achieved this by making the pilot electronic.

It is fairly easy to work out which manufacturers have bodged though.
Most seem to have properly engineered products now...

Do they? Have a closer look.

Doctor Drivel July 21st 05 09:46 AM

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Peter Scott wrote:

A CORGI-registered installer, who is also a trusted acquaintance, was
installing a bottled gas supply for my cooker. I got chatting about
changing my oil-fired boiler to Calor as it is getting old and oil does
not seem likely to come down in price soon or ever. He said 'don't'.

His experience, and that of people he knows, is the new condensing
boilers have poor reliability. He thinks that the rushed and ill-
conceived rules resulted in poorly tested boilers. Apparently before
long all new oil boilers are also going to have to be condensers and
he thinks that problems could happen with them as well. He advised
me to install a new oil boiler before the new regs, if I thought I
might go down that route. He has given up boiler installations for
the time being, until the equipment improves.

One of those rare occasions I would agree with Drivel!

You have to all the time, as I know infinitely more than you in most things,
and of life too.

Just follow my guide on boilers. BTW, is what I suggested in the FAQ? I
think it might be buried somewhere.

Andy Hall July 21st 05 11:52 AM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:43:18 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Peter Scott wrote:

[...]

I guess that that'll be your next ploy.

The change in the law will to an extent reinforce the old wives tale
about poor reliability. We had got to the stage where many of the
condensers available were properly designed 2nd/3rd generation models
with good reliability. The older designs (i.e. lash ups based on
existing conventional boiler designs) were dying out. Now of course all
the makers will be rushing to "fix" their existing model ranges to be
compliant - causing a step back to dodgy technology in many cases.

This was done a few years back when the 78% requirement happened.
Some achieved this by making the pilot electronic.

It is fairly easy to work out which manufacturers have bodged though.
Most seem to have properly engineered products now...

Do they? Have a closer look.

Naturally this would only apply to brands that are worth buying. I
wasn't talking about the tat that's left on the shelves in your branch
because you believed the rep and over-ordered. Will he allow stock
rotation or are you going to have to sell it out?

Watch out folks. August's hare brained scheme will justify a way to
use what DimmPlumb has in the warehouse.

Andy Hall July 21st 05 11:53 AM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:46:43 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Peter Scott wrote:

[...]

It should be........

Doctor Drivel July 21st 05 01:43 PM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:43:18 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Peter Scott wrote:

[...]

What a stupid comment.

Doctor Drivel July 21st 05 01:45 PM

wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Peter Scott wrote:

[...]

Figures, as you advocate poor quality equipment.

Christian McArdle July 21st 05 03:01 PM

His experience, and that of people he knows, is the new condensing
boilers have poor reliability.

Not really inside info.

A large proportion of CORGI installers are disciples of Mr Ludd, who bought
some tat by Messrs Poxi and Batterton ten years ago and think that all
condensing boilers are crap, when they're not.

I can't recall in this newsgroup, which is full of boiler complaints, many
problems with Worcester Bosch Greenstars (excluding the CDi secondary
converter) or Vaillants Ecomaxes.

Christian.

Andy Hall July 21st 05 04:46 PM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:43:22 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

the makers will be rushing to "fix" their existing model ranges to be
compliant - causing a step back to dodgy technology in many cases.

The change in the law will to an extent reinforce the old wives tale
about poor reliability. We had got to the stage where many of the
condensers available were properly designed 2nd/3rd generation models
This was done a few years back when the 78% requirement happened.
Some achieved this by making the pilot electronic.

It is fairly easy to work out which manufacturers have bodged though.
Most seem to have properly engineered products now...

Do they? Have a closer look.

Naturally this would only apply to brands that are worth buying.

What a stupid comment.

If a manufacturer has been consistently producing a good quality range
of condensing products of several generations over many years then it
is worth buying from them.

If they are modifying crappy old designs, then it is not worth buying
from them.

Pretty straightforward.

Try to focus on the products and their quality and not what you heard
from your plumber customers this week or from the rep.

Happy customers are more important than that trip to Eyebyeza you
know.

Two reels of PTFE tape please.

Andy Hall July 21st 05 04:48 PM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:45:01 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Peter Scott wrote:

[...]

You can make many accusations, but it's a stretch, even for you to
accuse me of advocating poor quality anything.

Two gold plated combis please.

Peter Scott July 21st 05 08:15 PM

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
His experience, and that of people he knows, is the new condensing
boilers have poor reliability.

Not really inside info.

A large proportion of CORGI installers are disciples of Mr Ludd, who

bought
some tat by Messrs Poxi and Batterton ten years ago and think that all
condensing boilers are crap, when they're not.

I can't recall in this newsgroup, which is full of boiler complaints, many
problems with Worcester Bosch Greenstars (excluding the CDi secondary
converter) or Vaillants Ecomaxes.

Christian.

Thanks for all the comments. Seems like my mate needs to do a bit
of research as he's only partly correct. Thanks for the information
about good brands. I'll certainly pass these on.

Looks like its time to do some more research into relative fuel costs.

Peter Scott

Doctor Drivel July 21st 05 09:52 PM

wrote:

[...]

Do you know what PTFE is used for?

raden July 21st 05 09:54 PM

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

One of those rare occasions I would agree with Drivel!

You have to all the time, as I know infinitely more than you in most things,
and of life too.

"Life in the fast lane
Surely make you lose your mind"

Just follow my guide on boilers. BTW, is what I suggested in the FAQ?

I'm sure even you could find that yourself

think it might be buried somewhere.

Hope so ...

--
geoff

raden July 21st 05 10:05 PM

In message , Andy Hall
writes
Just follow my guide on boilers. BTW, is what I suggested in the FAQ? I
think it might be buried somewhere.

It should be........

Figures, as you advocate poor quality equipment.

You can make many accusations, but it's a stretch, even for you to
accuse me of advocating poor quality anything.

Two gold plated combis please.

And a saveloy to go

--
geoff

Andy Hall July 21st 05 10:15 PM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:52:22 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Do you know what PTFE is used for?

Sure.

However, I guess you know it by the catalogue number in the till...

Doctor Drivel July 21st 05 10:45 PM

wrote:

Do you know what PTFE is used for?

Sure.

Stop making things up.

Doctor Drivel July 21st 05 10:53 PM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Andy Hall
writes
Just follow my guide on boilers. BTW, is what I suggested in the FAQ?

think it might be buried somewhere.

It should be........

Figures, as you advocate poor quality equipment.

You can make many accusations, but it's a stretch, even for you to
accuse me of advocating poor quality anything.

Two gold plated combis please.

And a saveloy to go

Maxie, it is nice to see you are alive and kicking. Have you been kick
starting your motorbike for fun lately?

Doctor Drivel July 21st 05 10:55 PM

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

One of those rare occasions I would agree with Drivel!

You have to all the time, as I know infinitely more than you in most

things,
and of life too.

"Life in the fast lane
Surely make you lose your mind"

Maxie, that was very good.

Just follow my guide on boilers.
BTW, is what I suggested in the FAQ?

I'm sure even you could find that yourself

I think it might be buried somewhere.

Hope so ...

Maxie! You want people to buy naff stuff so you can fix it?

raden July 21st 05 11:06 PM

In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Reduces friction when you TIUTA ?

--
geoff

raden July 21st 05 11:15 PM

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Andy Hall
writes
Just follow my guide on boilers. BTW, is what I suggested in the FAQ?

think it might be buried somewhere.

It should be........

Figures, as you advocate poor quality equipment.

You can make many accusations, but it's a stretch, even for you to
accuse me of advocating poor quality anything.

Two gold plated combis please.

And a saveloy to go

Maxie, it is nice to see you are alive and kicking. Have you been kick
starting your motorbike for fun lately?

No you dozy ****tard, I've been at home recovering from a knee operation
haven't I

No wonder you work in a plumbers merchant

--
geoff

Matt July 22nd 05 11:40 AM

raden wrote:

In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

Do you know what PTFE is used for?

Reduces friction when you TIUTA ?

Well it would stop him talking out of it.

John Rumm July 22nd 05 11:47 AM

Matt wrote:

Do you know what PTFE is used for?

Reduces friction when you TIUTA ?

Well it would stop him talking out of it.

Doubt it... he has a second one just under his nose.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm July 22nd 05 11:48 AM

-

--
Cheers,

John.

Doctor Drivel July 22nd 05 11:54 AM

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Andy Hall
writes
Just follow my guide on boilers. BTW, is what I suggested in the

FAQ?
think it might be buried somewhere.

It should be........

Figures, as you advocate poor quality equipment.

You can make many accusations, but it's a stretch, even for you to
accuse me of advocating poor quality anything.

Two gold plated combis please.

And a saveloy to go

Maxie, it is nice to see you are alive and kicking. Have you been kick
starting your motorbike for fun lately?

No you dozy ****tard, I've been at home recovering from a knee operation
haven't I

Maxie, all that fun type kick starting ruined your knee. I hope the kick
start gets better.

Doctor Drivel July 22nd 05 12:03 PM

"Matt" wrote in message
raden wrote:

In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

Do you know what PTFE is used for?

Reduces friction when you TIUTA ?

Well

Madness comes in many forms. I destroys lives and families. Fortunately we
have the NHS, so please use it. Please.

Andy Hall July 22nd 05 12:15 PM

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:03:43 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message
.. .
raden wrote:

In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

Do you know what PTFE is used for?

Reduces friction when you TIUTA ?

Well

Madness comes in many forms. I destroys lives and families.

Do you? How do you manage that?

Fortunately we
have the NHS, so please use it. Please.

That's much more tricky.

Doctor Drivel July 22nd 05 12:50 PM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:03:43 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message
.. .
raden wrote:

In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

Do you know what PTFE is used for?

Reduces friction when you TIUTA ?

Well

Madness comes in many forms. I destroys lives and families.

Do you? How do you manage that?

You never know.

Fortunately we
have the NHS, so please use it. Please.

That's much more tricky.

Please use the NHS, you need to. You need to.

Andy Hall July 22nd 05 01:30 PM

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:50:52 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:03:43 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message
.. .
raden wrote:

In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

Do you know what PTFE is used for?

Reduces friction when you TIUTA ?

Well

Madness comes in many forms. I destroys lives and families.

Do you? How do you manage that?

You never know.

Fortunately we
have the NHS, so please use it. Please.

That's much more tricky.

Please use the NHS, you need to. You need to.

I don't have the time.

Owain July 22nd 05 02:27 PM

Doctor Drivel wrote:
I destroys lives and families.

Don't flatter yourself.

Or are you auditioning for the movie "Dr Drivel - Shock And Awe On The
Tango Floor"

Owain

Doctor Drivel July 22nd 05 08:00 PM

"Owain" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

I destroys lives and families.

Or are you auditioning for the movie "Dr Drivel - Shock And Awe On The
Tango Floor"

I am producing, directing and star of the motion picture itself. Big gala
pemier splash at Leicester Square, with all celebs, me being chief celeb, in
Prius' rolling on to red carpets.

Andy Hall July 22nd 05 08:36 PM

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:00:06 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

I destroys lives and families.

Or are you auditioning for the movie "Dr Drivel - Shock And Awe On The
Tango Floor"

I am producing, directing and star of the motion picture itself. Big gala
pemier splash at Leicester Square, with all celebs, me being chief celeb, in
Prius' rolling on to red carpets.

Don't you mean everybody else rolling on the carpets having a good
laugh?

raden July 22nd 05 09:42 PM

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"Owain" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

I destroys lives and families.

Or are you auditioning for the movie "Dr Drivel - Shock And Awe On The
Tango Floor"

I am producing, directing and star of the motion picture itself. Big gala
pemier splash at Leicester Square, with all celebs, me being chief celeb, in
Prius' rolling on to red carpets.

Sorry, Peter Pan's been done already

--
geoff

Doctor Drivel July 22nd 05 11:06 PM

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"Owain" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

I destroys lives and families.

Or are you auditioning for the movie "Dr Drivel - Shock And Awe On The
Tango Floor"

I am producing, directing and star of the motion picture itself. Big

gala
pemier splash at Leicester Square, with all celebs, me being chief celeb,

in
Prius' rolling on to red carpets.

Sorry, Peter Pan's been done already

Maxie! Is Peter Pan a money earner? Does it need a sequel?