Dark Angel

Default Old Sky analogue system. Bin it?

Got an old sky analogue dish and receiver gathering dust in my loft, but is
there actually anything still broadcasting on the old frequencies worth
looking at that warrents me hanging onto them, or should I just chuck them
in the bin?

Call me sentimental, but seems a pity to throw things out that still work,
but is pointless hanging onto them if I'm not likely to ever use them.

Thanks in advance!

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)

OldBill

Dark Angel wrote:
Got an old sky analogue dish and receiver gathering dust in my loft, but is
there actually anything still broadcasting on the old frequencies worth
looking at that warrents me hanging onto them, or should I just chuck them
in the bin?

Call me sentimental, but seems a pity to throw things out that still work,
but is pointless hanging onto them if I'm not likely to ever use them.

Thanks in advance!

Wrong news group, see uk.tech.tv.sky, but yes bin it.
Dark Angel

"OldBill" wrote in message ...

but yes bin it.

Thanks!

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)
"Dark Angel's Realm of Horror" - http://www.realmofhorror.co.uk
"Realm of Horror Radio" - http://www.live365.com/stations/313834

raden

In message , Dark
Angel writes
Got an old sky analogue dish and receiver gathering dust in my loft, but is
there actually anything still broadcasting on the old frequencies worth
looking at that warrents me hanging onto them, or should I just chuck them
in the bin?

IIRC, there are a few sports channels and about 9 German ones which were
worth watching on Astra

--
geoff
Michael Chare

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Dark
Angel writes
Got an old sky analogue dish and receiver gathering dust in my loft, but is
there actually anything still broadcasting on the old frequencies worth
looking at that warrents me hanging onto them, or should I just chuck them
in the bin?

IIRC, there are a few sports channels and about 9 German ones which were
worth watching on Astra

Yes, there is an English language version of Eurosport on Astra1 19.2 East in
analogue.

Depending on the equipment, it may also be suitable for receiving the French
stations on 5 West

--

Michael Chare

raden

In message , Michael Chare
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Dark
Angel writes
Got an old sky analogue dish and receiver gathering dust in my loft, but is
there actually anything still broadcasting on the old frequencies worth
looking at that warrents me hanging onto them, or should I just chuck them
in the bin?

IIRC, there are a few sports channels and about 9 German ones which were
worth watching on Astra

Yes, there is an English language version of Eurosport on Astra1 19.2 East in
analogue.

Depending on the equipment, it may also be suitable for receiving the French
stations on 5 West

I thought that they were transmitted at about a gig higher than
everything else

--
geoff
Michael Chare

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Michael Chare
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Dark
Angel writes
Got an old sky analogue dish and receiver gathering dust in my loft, but

is
there actually anything still broadcasting on the old frequencies worth
looking at that warrents me hanging onto them, or should I just chuck them
in the bin?

IIRC, there are a few sports channels and about 9 German ones which were
worth watching on Astra

Yes, there is an English language version of Eurosport on Astra1 19.2 East

in
analogue.

Depending on the equipment, it may also be suitable for receiving the French
stations on 5 West

I thought that they were transmitted at about a gig higher than
everything else

The French stations - Yes they are quite high, hence use of the word "may"!
Certainly an old early Pace receiver that I was given would not go that high.

--

Michael Chare

Andy Hall

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:42:40 +0000 (UTC), "Dark Angel"
wrote:

Got an old sky analogue dish and receiver gathering dust in my loft, but is
there actually anything still broadcasting on the old frequencies worth
looking at that warrents me hanging onto them, or should I just chuck them
in the bin?

Call me sentimental, but seems a pity to throw things out that still work,
but is pointless hanging onto them if I'm not likely to ever use them.

Thanks in advance!

I have a steerable dish and hybrid receiver and occasionally poke
around on analogue to see what's there.

There is still some stuff on the Astra 1 constellation on 19.2E -
mainly from Germany. For a fixed position dish, this probably has
the most.

www.lyngsat.com has loads of info.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
RedOnRed

I thought Sky had switched the anologue signal off. If not, isn't it
pending?

Richard Conway

RedOnRed wrote:
I thought Sky had switched the anologue signal off. If not, isn't it
pending?

He didn't say they were broadcast by Sky

PC Paul

Richard Conway wrote:
RedOnRed wrote:
I thought Sky had switched the anologue signal off. If not, isn't it
pending?

He didn't say they were broadcast by Sky

Sky did, but there are other stations transmitting using the same
satellites. ISTR that when our analogue stuff was switched off the dishes on
the satellites were reoriented to give a different footprint so the signals
we get now are not as strong as they were.

s--p--o--n--i--x

wrote:

Got an old sky analogue dish and receiver gathering dust in my loft, but is
there actually anything still broadcasting on the old frequencies worth
looking at that warrents me hanging onto them, or should I just chuck them
in the bin?

Call me sentimental, but seems a pity to throw things out that still work,
but is pointless hanging onto them if I'm not likely to ever use them.

Thanks in advance!

Put it up for grabs on your local freecycle group:

www.freecycle.org
Andy Hall

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:16:42 GMT, "PC Paul" wrote:

Richard Conway wrote:
RedOnRed wrote:
I thought Sky had switched the anologue signal off. If not, isn't it
pending?

He didn't say they were broadcast by Sky

Sky did, but there are other stations transmitting using the same
satellites. ISTR that when our analogue stuff was switched off the dishes on
the satellites were reoriented to give a different footprint so the signals
we get now are not as strong as they were.

A couple of the Astra1 satellites that are nearing their sell-by date
have been moved to different locations as well.