Zipadee Doodar

Default mixer tap and sealed CH system

Planning the new bathroom layout. To save moving electrics (I wouldn't want
to upset the Part P police) my wife is asking about replacing old electric
shower with a mixer tap. The CH system is a sealed system running from a
Vaillant ecomax, so there is no storage or header tank, so I assume mains
pressure would be adequate? But I seem to recall the plumber who fitted the
boiler muttering about not being able to have a mixer. Is this right?

TIA

ZD

Doctor Drivel

"Zipadee Doodar" wrote in message
o.uk...

Planning the new bathroom layout.
To save moving electrics (I wouldn't want
to upset the Part P police) my wife is
asking about replacing old electric
shower with a mixer tap.

Great idea. Electric showers are made by Satan.

The CH system is a sealed system running from a
Vaillant ecomax, so there is no storage or header tank, so I assume mains
pressure would be adequate? But I seem to recall the plumber who fitted

the
boiler muttering about not being able to have a mixer. Is this right?

The sealed system part has nothing to do with fresh water. Is the boiler a
combi?

Lobster

Zipadee Doodar wrote:
Planning the new bathroom layout. To save moving electrics (I wouldn't want
to upset the Part P police) my wife is asking about replacing old electric
shower with a mixer tap. The CH system is a sealed system running from a
Vaillant ecomax, so there is no storage or header tank, so I assume mains
pressure would be adequate? But I seem to recall the plumber who fitted the
boiler muttering about not being able to have a mixer. Is this right?

Twaddle: are you sure he said that? You'd need to check that the new
valve is definitely one intended for mains pressure but suspect you'd be
hard pressed to find one which wasn't.

Sealed systems like yours are ideal for showers - you have mains
pressure for both H&C supplies which is far better than what an electric
shower will give. Plus you will be using gas- rather than electrically
heated water, which for now at least is a lot cheaper.

BTW - when you say 'electric' shower I assume you mean one where the
electric heats the water instanteously, rather than just an electric
booster pump which provided water already heated by gas?

David
Zipadee Doodar

"Lobster" wrote in message
Zipadee Doodar wrote:
[...]

Yes, she wants one of those old fashioned things to replace the instant hot
water electric job.. The Vaillant is a combi, but its sounds like this is
OK?

Lobster

Zipadee Doodar wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message

Zipadee Doodar wrote:

[...]

Sorry, hadn't realised you were talking about a combi; I thought you
meant you had a pressurised HW storage tank, for which it would be a
no-brainer to use a mixer valve (hence the 'twaddle' remark!). It's not
quite as clear-cut with a combi, although depending on the unit I'd say
it would still give you a better shower than an electric one. And
although there are certainly suitable mixer valves out there, you'd need
a pressure-balancing one specifically intended for a combi.

Google the archives of this group for "combi" and "shower" for more on this.

One other consideration - if your combi were ever to break down, you'd
be left with no means of producing hot water (with a hot tank, you'd
presumably have an immersion heater); if you were to retain the lecky
shower it would at least provide a back-up for washing!

David

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Lobster wrote:

One other consideration - if your combi were ever to break down, you'd
be left with no means of producing hot water (with a hot tank, you'd
presumably have an immersion heater); if you were to retain the lecky
shower it would at least provide a back-up for washing!

When I were a lad we used to bathe in a thimble of warm water heated by
a nightlight....

Certainly wouldn't consider the "what if" factor as I would expect most
plumbers would be able to get spares & fix said boiler in a couple of
days tops.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Owain

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
When I were a lad we used to bathe in a thimble of warm water heated by
a nightlight....

I can remember my mum boiling kettles on the gas hob for baths during
the power workers' strikes of the 1970s. Obviously our Ascot was one
that didn't work without electricity.

Owain