Arthur

Default Holes in base of new cistern

Hi.
I have a new close coupled toilet and cistern but I'm puzzled
by the holes in the base.
There is the large one for flush water and 2 bolt holes either side of it.
But their are also 2 other holes about 26mm diameter nearer to the back and
toward the corners.
What are these for?

This cistern has no pre-drilled hole for the input or the overflow.
Is this standard? ..giving the option choice of which side to place the
input valve.

Thanks.

Arthur

Alex

Arthur wrote:
Hi.
I have a new close coupled toilet and cistern but I'm puzzled
by the holes in the base.
There is the large one for flush water and 2 bolt holes either side of it.
But their are also 2 other holes about 26mm diameter nearer to the back and
toward the corners.
What are these for?

Probably for the overflow - having a plastic pipe coming up vertically
to just above the water level. One should be blocked obviously

alex

--
Alex Meaden
Technical Support Officer
Frank Erskine

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 12:12:30 +0000 (UTC), "Arthur"
wrote:

Hi.
I have a new close coupled toilet and cistern but I'm puzzled
by the holes in the base.
There is the large one for flush water and 2 bolt holes either side of it.
But their are also 2 other holes about 26mm diameter nearer to the back and
toward the corners.
What are these for?

This cistern has no pre-drilled hole for the input or the overflow.
Is this standard? ..giving the option choice of which side to place the
input valve.

The input is usually in the bottom of a cistern, so it is one of those
26mm holes.

--
Frank Erskine
John Rumm

Arthur wrote:

This cistern has no pre-drilled hole for the input or the overflow.
Is this standard? ..giving the option choice of which side to place the
input valve.

The input will usually come up into the base of the cistern, so that
sounds like one of your holes.

Separate overflows are now not usually used. The Torbek / Fluidmaster /
Siamp type valves used in most cisterns these days allow the overflow to
be directed into the pan.

--
Cheers,

John.

Badger

Rob Morley wrote:

There is the large one for flush water and 2 bolt holes either side of it.
But their are also 2 other holes about 26mm diameter nearer to the back and
toward the corners.
What are these for?

Inlet and overflow?

That how ours is installed.
John

"Arthur" wrote in message
Hi.
I have a new close coupled toilet and cistern but I'm puzzled
by the holes in the base.
There is the large one for flush water and 2 bolt holes either side of it.
But their are also 2 other holes about 26mm diameter nearer to the back
and toward the corners.
What are these for?

This cistern has no pre-drilled hole for the input or the overflow.
Is this standard? ..giving the option choice of which side to place the
input valve.

Thanks.

Arthur

These ARE the inlet and overflow holes. If no overflow required with your
type of syphon a suitable bung is sometimes in the fitting kit or can be
purchased quite easily.

Just as an off shoot to this question. I installed a bathroom suite (B & Q
Madrid cheapo) for a friend in a house he is renting out. The cistern did
not have any holes to fix it to the wall. I have never seen a cistern
before without these holes, and I have installed/repaired 100's. I rang B &
Q as I thought it might be a faulty one to be told by the 'bathroom
consultant' that "On the budget suites there aren't any holes, you stick it
to the wall with silicon". I asked how it would be removed if needed i.e.
doughnut washer change, or if it leaked after installation etc. to which he
replied "I've never thought of that".

I needed some fixing holes so decided to drill it, even with good quality
tile drills and masonry bits two 8mm holes took nearly 2 hours! I have
never drilled anything as hard as that before in my life!

John

John wrote:
"Arthur" wrote in message
[...]

metal brackets would be a lot eaier in future, as used to be used. But
they can be put t other way up, so the brackets arent visible. London
brackets are no good, use non tapered ones.

NT

Mobile base for a table saw (longish) busbus Woodworking 1 December 30th 04 04:11 PM
Accurate Holes in Concrete? (Slightly Bogus Metal Content) Doug White Metalworking 12 August 28th 04 06:20 PM
Shower base repair Kevin Webb UK diy 0 January 19th 04 03:09 AM
router base plate [email protected] Woodworking 3 January 2nd 04 09:15 PM
Bridgeport base casting weight? George Willer Metalworking 1 August 26th 03 02:59 AM