Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Philip

Default loft conversion - i have read the FAQ and this is not in it!

Hi,

I am about to put down my new floor joists in between the original
ceiling joists. Guidance diagrams I have seen from swansea BCO show A1
category loft insulation laid in the original 400mm gap between ceiling
joists first, and nailed battens securing this to the ceiling joist -
so their is no chance of fire ingress from downstairs. The new joists
are suspended inbetween the old ceiling joistts, raised about 30mm to
stop deflection cracking the ceiling.

my question is - is the battening totally necessary? could i run the
inulation across the joists, overlaped? I really cant face all the
extra work the battening will require - and i wont be able to use
precut insulation, as i will need an excess to run up each side of the
ceiling joists.

what have others found to be acceptable to BCO?

Reason for not applying for regs? my wife refuses to have stairs to
this room - so no matter how well I buid the thing - it can't pass! My
plan is to do everything as per the regs and the next owner then has
the choice. The windows are in as per regs, so is the roof and
insulation, now it comes to the floor...

many thanks

philip