RayDavis

Default DIY Electrics and Insurance

Last year I finished a complete re-wire of my house. I've followed all the
reg's etc, but I'm a little concerned about the buildings/contents
insurance.

Would this likely be a sticking point should there ever be a problem. I'm
confident the fixed wiring is all up to spec. but with insurance companies
operating the way they do they'd probably stitch me up even if a fire was
caused by an appliance fault.

What should I do in terms of getting it inspected and signed-off? How much
should I expect to pay (3 bed semi with 3 rings)?

Thanks

VisionSet

"RayDavis" wrote in message
Last year I finished a complete re-wire of my house. I've followed all

the
reg's etc, but I'm a little concerned about the buildings/contents
insurance.

Would this likely be a sticking point should there ever be a problem. I'm
confident the fixed wiring is all up to spec. but with insurance companies
operating the way they do they'd probably stitch me up even if a fire was
caused by an appliance fault.

What should I do in terms of getting it inspected and signed-off? How

much
should I expect to pay (3 bed semi with 3 rings)?

Good grief, life's to short!
Do it if you know you're up to it and then forget it.
Otherwise get someone in.
Of course the god damned sellers pack thing is another matter I guess
there'll be alot of DIY sellers when that date nears.

--
Mike W

Alan

`In message , VisionSet
wrote

Of course the god damned sellers pack thing is another matter I guess
there'll be alot of DIY sellers when that date nears.

So what's going to happen when you cannot prove the wiring has be
inspected? In the real world the value of the house may fall by a few
hundred quid - a lot less than the money it would have cost to get the
professional in. One or two potential sales may be lost but the value of
the house is based more on its location, size general state of repair
than having one certificate.

People shopping for the 'perfect' house may have a long wait if they are
not prepared to accept that there may be something wrong with the
property.

--
Alan

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
RayDavis wrote:
Last year I finished a complete re-wire of my house. I've followed all
the reg's etc, but I'm a little concerned about the buildings/contents
insurance.

Would this likely be a sticking point should there ever be a problem.
I'm confident the fixed wiring is all up to spec. but with insurance
companies operating the way they do they'd probably stitch me up even
if a fire was caused by an appliance fault.

If it ever got to that, it's usually pretty simple for an expert to say
where and how a fire started. And IMHO 'pro' installations are every bit
as likely to be 'at risk' as a DIY one done carefully - ie near zero.

And at the time you finished the work, there was no legal requirement to
have any certification.

What should I do in terms of getting it inspected and signed-off? How
much should I expect to pay (3 bed semi with 3 rings)?

To inspect an installation thoroughly would be very expensive. You could
have a basic check made to make sure the earthing etc complies for
probably a couple of hundred.

--
*I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Christian McArdle

What should I do in terms of getting it inspected and signed-off? How
much
should I expect to pay (3 bed semi with 3 rings)?

What you need is a periodic inspection certificate. Any electrician could do
this. It shouldn't be particularly expensive. My guess is 50-100 quid.

When you said you followed all the regs, did you do insulation resistance
and earth loop impedence tests?

Christian.

RayDavis

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
What should I do in terms of getting it inspected and signed-off? How

much
should I expect to pay (3 bed semi with 3 rings)?

What you need is a periodic inspection certificate. Any electrician could
do
this. It shouldn't be particularly expensive. My guess is 50-100 quid.

When you said you followed all the regs, did you do insulation resistance
and earth loop impedence tests?

Christian.

The checks I've done all along are multi-meter resistance test between
live-neutral, live-live/neutral-neutral/earth-earth test on ring mains and a
basic socket tester in every socket. Without the expensive equipment I'm
not sure what else I can/should test.

Bob Eager

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:36:22 UTC, "RayDavis" wrote:

When you said you followed all the regs, did you do insulation resistance
and earth loop impedence tests?

The checks I've done all along are multi-meter resistance test between
live-neutral, live-live/neutral-neutral/earth-earth test on ring mains and a
basic socket tester in every socket. Without the expensive equipment I'm
not sure what else I can/should test.

So that hasn't tested everything, by any means. Better to get someone
in. Your tests won't necessarily detect loose connections, and the
safety of the earth path.
Christian McArdle

The checks I've done all along are multi-meter resistance test between
live-neutral, live-live/neutral-neutral/earth-earth test on ring mains and

basic socket tester in every socket. Without the expensive equipment I'm
not sure what else I can/should test.

In which case, you should definitely get an electrician in to do the tests.
The required equipment for the tests costs many hundreds of pounds. They
can't be done by a 6 quid multimeter from Maplins.

Christian.