Default Replacing floorboards.....

Hi there...

SWMBO has decided she wants varnished floorboards in the bedroom (as
part of a complete top-to-bottom redecoration).

Anyways, I had a quick look under the carpet to find that the existing
floorbaords are completely messed up.

Things like rewirings, central heating installation etc have meant that
there are lots of cross-cuts, all the tongues and grooves have been
destroyed etc...

ANyways...how easy is it to simply rip up and start again?

From my (naive, possibly) POV, it would simply be a case of rip off the

skirting boards then start at one side of the room, removing the old
boards 2 or 3 at a time, then cutting new boards to size and nailing
them to the joists. Then add (new) skirting boards to the walls
(possibly after getting a plasterer in to fix any damage caused by
removing the old ones...). Finish off with some varnish or wax....

On the surface this seems like it would be quite a cheap job too....

So the question is - is it as simple as this? What pitfalls have i
missed?

ANy tips?

Cicero

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there...

SWMBO has decided she wants varnished floorboards in the bedroom (as
part of a complete top-to-bottom redecoration).

Anyways, I had a quick look under the carpet to find that the existing
floorbaords are completely messed up.

Things like rewirings, central heating installation etc have meant that
there are lots of cross-cuts, all the tongues and grooves have been
destroyed etc...

ANyways...how easy is it to simply rip up and start again?

From my (naive, possibly) POV, it would simply be a case of rip off the

skirting boards then start at one side of the room, removing the old
boards 2 or 3 at a time, then cutting new boards to size and nailing
them to the joists. Then add (new) skirting boards to the walls
(possibly after getting a plasterer in to fix any damage caused by
removing the old ones...). Finish off with some varnish or wax....

On the surface this seems like it would be quite a cheap job too....

So the question is - is it as simple as this? What pitfalls have i
missed?

ANy tips?

=================
It isn't a difficult job at all and you shouldn't need to remove the
skirtings. I did all my downstairs rooms about 2 years ago. With care you
can remove the old boards from under the skirting and then slide the new
boards into place. Take care (obviously!!) when you're working near wiring /
piping etc. I would suggest that you use a good nail gun rather than hammer
and nails. The reason for this is that you're less likely to damage the
ceiling of the room below and it's much quicker. It took me about 4 days per
room but that included repairing bits of the dwarf walls - not necessary in
upstairs rooms. Make sure you make proper access hatches if required.

Cic.

Unless, like in my house, when the house was built they wacked a few
nails though the skirting at an angle into the fllorboards for good
measure.

Kevin

Then she'll be inserted under them too.....

Chris McBrien

If you are buying new Tounge & Grooved floor boarding do get in in the house
for a few weeks to dry out/aclimatise first, if possible of course.

A good tip I heard regarding laying. Look at the end grain of the board. The
grain will be either a 'cup' or a 'cap' or depending how you hold it a ( or
a ) This is the way it was cut from the tree. When laying the boards put a
'cup' shape next to a 'cap' shape so that the end view of the boards give a
~~~~~~~ type of sequence. This helps when the wood finally dries out and
starts to rise at the ends of a 'cup' and droop at the ends of a 'cap'.

What a long description. A picture is worth a 1000 words.

x-- 30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion
x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Grunff

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Depending on the house design, you might find they go under the internal
walls. Which can make complete replacement tricky, as they might not have
a convenient joist at the wall.

Yes, all of our upstairs internal walls are built onto floorboards.

--
Grunff

Mitre saw for skirting and floorboards Martin Pentreath UK diy 14 October 25th 04 07:34 PM
lifting and relaying old floorboards jack UK diy 4 August 21st 04 11:30 AM
Replacing taps. Mary Pegg UK diy 7 July 3rd 04 01:42 PM
Replacing hot water cylinder. Kevin UK diy 14 June 10th 04 05:26 PM
Bathroom Flooring (replacing floorboards) Dan delaMare-Lyon UK diy 1 August 12th 03 09:35 AM