Dave Key

Default a problem with my pumped thermostatic bath/shower system

Hi,

I have a Monsoon 3.0 Bar twin pump that is fed from a hot water tank
and a large (to me?) cold water tank that's in the loft. This is
connected to a thermostatic bath and shower mixer.

Recently my shower and bath taps have been running very slowly compared
with their past performance. The pressure is still enough to allow me
to switch the mixer to shower, but it's nothing impressive Also,
the cold water is drying up faster that the hot!! If you put the
temperature knob on the 38deg setting it comes out too hot, even right
round on cold it's still not that good and we have started to have to
add cold water to the bath!!

I originally thought that it was the pump to blame, so I took it out
and cleaned it through with weak citric acid solution to get rid of the
scale, there was a little bit there, but nothing much and once
re-fitted and bled of air it was slightly improved but not by much! I
have done some "devilishly ingenious" tests and am sure that the pump
and everything leading up to it are fine, but where do I go from here??

I am now guessing that there is lime scale in the mixer, and I have
read that the metallic strip for the thermo can get furred up. I am
thinking of disconnecting the pipes from the pump and forcing weak
citric acid solution through them and out of the bath tap, does anyone
think that this will work, or have any idea what my problem is (no
obvious answers please, and nothing even hinting at a "weak citric acid
solution" fetish!)

Thanks in advance

Dave

Martin Angove

In message . com,
"Dave Key" wrote:

I am now guessing that there is lime scale in the mixer, and I have
read that the metallic strip for the thermo can get furred up.

Living in a soft water area I don't really know about limescale, but two
things occur to me. Firstly, aren't most thermostatic mixers based on
wax capsules? Secondly, all the ones I've seen (admittedly very few)
have had internal fine mesh filters which can quite easily clog up with
gunk of all sorts. My first port of call for an underperforming shower
is now to find these filters and clean them.

HTH

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... (beep) Help, I've fallen and can't reach the beer.