Rich

Default DIY conveyancing

I am purchasing a small piece of land from my neighbour which has its
own title number at the land reistry. I intend to register this at the
land registry (and Inland Revenue) myself but have got slightly stuck!!

The vendor's soliciter is quite happy for me to do my own conveyancing
but can not act jointly as the value is a bit too much. He has however
asked me to supply him with a "Transfer Deed" for his inspection but I
can not find an example anywhere (I assume it is not the same thing as
a Land Regisrty TR1 which I understand I will also have to execute
before registration).

Can anyone help with the text required for a straight forward "Transfer
Deed" please?

BigWallop

"Rich" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am purchasing a small piece of land from my neighbour which has its
own title number at the land reistry. I intend to register this at the
land registry (and Inland Revenue) myself but have got slightly stuck!!

The vendor's soliciter is quite happy for me to do my own conveyancing
but can not act jointly as the value is a bit too much. He has however
asked me to supply him with a "Transfer Deed" for his inspection but I
can not find an example anywhere (I assume it is not the same thing as
a Land Regisrty TR1 which I understand I will also have to execute
before registration).

Can anyone help with the text required for a straight forward "Transfer
Deed" please?

Go to uk.legal newsgroup, and someone will give you better details on how
this works.

Autolycus

"Rich" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am purchasing a small piece of land from my neighbour which has its
own title number at the land reistry. I intend to register this at
the
land registry (and Inland Revenue) myself but have got slightly
stuck!!

The vendor's soliciter is quite happy for me to do my own conveyancing
but can not act jointly as the value is a bit too much. He has
however
asked me to supply him with a "Transfer Deed" for his inspection but I
can not find an example anywhere (I assume it is not the same thing as
a Land Regisrty TR1 which I understand I will also have to execute
before registration).

Can anyone help with the text required for a straight forward
"Transfer
Deed" please?

It sounds as though you may have skipped a number of stages in the usual
process. Many of them aren't strictly necessary, but it's best to know
what they are so you know what assumptions you've made and what risks
you're taking. For instance, have you done local authority searches,
examined the Land Registry entries (OC1 - do it online), and exchanged
contracts? Normally you would then do the bankruptcy search, send off
OS1 (official search with priority) and finally you, as buyer, would
complete TR1 with any special covenants etc you've agreed) and send a
draft to the vendor's solicitor with your requisitions.

Bradshaw's book "House Buying, Selling, and Conveyancing" covers all
this quite well, and so does the "Which?" book for straightforward
registered property. If you've not done it before, I really would
recommend you get, and follow, one of these books. If nothing else it
will stop the vendor's solicitor taking the wossname.

Best of luck with it: I'm in the middle of my ninth bit of conveyancing,
and it's very satisfying when it all goes through.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Rich

Dear Kevin
Thanks for your reply. We own all the surrounding land already and are
aware of the local search results (no problems there!). Have done the
Land Registry office copies entries OC1. We have agreed to go directly
to transfer rather than the usual exchange/completion route.
A couple of further questions please -
1) Are you actually sayng that TR1 is the only deed of transfer that is
likely to be required and that I can submit a draft to the vendor's
solicitors?
2) Can you advise when to do the OS1 with protection as I understand
that it is only valied for 30 days and preumably during that time I
need to obtain a certificate from the Inland Revenue on SDLT 1

Autolycus

"Rich" wrote in message
ups.com...

We own all the surrounding land already and are
aware of the local search results (no problems there!). Have done the
Land Registry office copies entries OC1. We have agreed to go
directly
to transfer rather than the usual exchange/completion route.
A couple of further questions please -
1) Are you actually sayng that TR1 is the only deed of transfer that
is
likely to be required and that I can submit a draft to the vendor's
solicitors?

My most recent transaction (the only one since the last set of changes
in the law) was the sale of a house with registered title, and I didn't
even see the TR1 till I turned up for completion. I don't think the
buyer's solicitor bothered with an OS1 at all. So yes, the TR1 is the
modern substitute for "Whereas..." and "Now this deed witnesseth..." and
"hereunto set my hand and seal". You don't even need the sticky paper
seal and the performance of putting your finger on it while you recite
"I deliver this as my act and deed". "Signed as a deed" seems horribly
prosaic for something as splendid as buying land.

2) Can you advise when to do the OS1 with protection as I understand
that it is only valied for 30 days and preumably during that time I
need to obtain a certificate from the Inland Revenue on SDLT 1

IME the Land Registry are the most helpful, competent, and prompt
government department, (or agency, or whatever they are today) I've ever
dealt with. Even their online stuff works. So I'd do the OS1 three or
four days before completion, and fill the SDLT1 in immediately online.
According to Bradshaw the only circumstances you can get away with not
sending the certificate with your TR1 and AP1 is if the IR have held
onto it for more than 20 days, so I'd guess even the IR must be geared
up to dealing with them quickly.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***
Car Transport by Tiltbed Trailer - based near Derby

Rich

That sounds most helpful thank you.