bhads

Default Mortar and water

I'm new to bricklaying, and am in the process of building a low level garden
wall that's about 10m long. I have access to a mixer and I've found that if
I mix the mortar at 1:4 with some plasticizer it begins to stiffen after
about 2 hours. Is it OK to add a little more water and keep using the mortar
a little longer as I understand I could be using a 1:6 mix?

Thanks for any advice.

bhads wrote:
I'm new to bricklaying, and am in the process of building a low level garden
wall that's about 10m long. I have access to a mixer and I've found that if
I mix the mortar at 1:4 with some plasticizer it begins to stiffen after
about 2 hours. Is it OK to add a little more water and keep using the mortar
a little longer as I understand I could be using a 1:6 mix?

Thanks for any advice.

2hrs is way too long. 4:1 is a strong mix, 1:1:6 is a more likely
condidate for walling. But 4:1 will work ok, long as youre not using
soft bricks.

Your remixed mortar will work, but be much weaker. Best discard after
40 mins or so.

NT

OldBill

bhads wrote:
I'm new to bricklaying, and am in the process of building a low level garden
wall that's about 10m long. I have access to a mixer and I've found that if
I mix the mortar at 1:4 with some plasticizer it begins to stiffen after
about 2 hours. Is it OK to add a little more water and keep using the mortar
a little longer as I understand I could be using a 1:6 mix?

Thanks for any advice.

Duh! never add water to mix after its started to go off, plaster or
mortar. Its a chemical reaction that going on here you know.
Only mix as much as you can use. Chuck the unused hardening stuff away.
Nick Finnigan

bhads wrote:
I'm new to bricklaying, and am in the process of building a low level garden
wall that's about 10m long. I have access to a mixer and I've found that if
I mix the mortar at 1:4 with some plasticizer it begins to stiffen after
about 2 hours. Is it OK to add a little more water and keep using the mortar
a little longer as I understand I could be using a 1:6 mix?

Don't add more water, don't mix more than you can use in two hours;
don't you want a tea break anyway? That may mean it is barely worth
using a mixer anyway.
Michael Mcneil

"Nick Finnigan" wrote in message

bhads wrote:

I mix the mortar at 1:4 with some plasticizer it begins to stiffen after
about 2 hours. Is it OK to add a little more water and keep using the mortar
a little longer as I understand I could be using a 1:6 mix?

Lots do. I dare say it is wrong though.

Don't add more water, don't mix more than you can use in two hours;
don't you want a tea break, it is barely worth using a mixer anyway.

It is cheap enough to discard but if he had used a 6:1:1 lime mix he'd
have ben better of (you don't use plasticiser with lime mortar.)

Some mortar is supplied in skips that is kept wet for ages.

Rick

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 16:27:05 GMT, "bhads" wrote:

I'm new to bricklaying, and am in the process of building a low level garden
wall that's about 10m long. I have access to a mixer and I've found that if
I mix the mortar at 1:4 with some plasticizer it begins to stiffen after
about 2 hours. Is it OK to add a little more water and keep using the mortar
a little longer as I understand I could be using a 1:6 mix?

Thanks for any advice.

Its best to make less :-)

I started with 4 shovels of sand, to 1 cement, and when I had enough
skill to use that in 30 minuites, I doubled the mix.

Rick