Have you tried household bleach? The thickened versions are quite
effective.
Barry

Zak

Default Seek better mould cleaner than "disodium octaborate" ?

What is the next strongest mould killer ("mold killer" to the
Americans) I can use?

The background to this is that I used some mould killer to stop
the mould in the grout between the ceramic tiles on my bathroom
wall. There is not much mould there at all and it only shows
black when the bathroom is damp from running a bath but I want to
stop it early.

I used "Polycell 3-in-1 Mould Killer". See
http://tinyurl.com/dngdb
It didn't seem all that great to me.

The label says it contains:
disodium octaborate (3%) and
benzalkonium chloride (1.5%).
The label also says "This product is approved under the Sale of
Pesticide Regulations 1986. HSE number 6157"

What is the next strongest mould cleaner to this one which I can
use in my bathroom?

And where can I get it from? (I don't want something I have to
obtain by the gallon and is only available from some obscure
wholesale chemicals warehouse!)

Zak
labrat

It's the benzalkonium chloride that does the trick. This is also used
as an algaecide in pools, and will even shift algae from paths and
driveways. You might have to leave it on for a bit for it to have an
effect: try leaving it on overnight. Thickened bleaches are good for an
instant hit, but you mightn't like the pale patches on your clothes.

Uncle Al

Zak wrote:

[...]

Kill it with straight chlorine laundry bleach (gloves, goggles,
respirator) and an old toothbrush. Rinse and dry. Apply "Polycell
3-in-1 Mould Killer" and do not rinse. Reapply monthly.

If you had black grout this would't be a problem.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
Ian Stirling

In uk.d-i-y Uncle Al wrote:
Zak wrote:

What is the next strongest mould killer ("mold killer" to the
Americans) I can use?

snip
Kill it with straight chlorine laundry bleach (gloves, goggles,
respirator) and an old toothbrush. Rinse and dry. Apply "Polycell
3-in-1 Mould Killer" and do not rinse. Reapply monthly.

If you had black grout this would't be a problem.

Don't be silly, it's clearly obvious that you'd then get white mould

muha

Use Chlorox bleach, slightly diluted, you can add some laundry
detergent to it. Let it do its job for half an hour and then rinse.

If the discoloration persists, you can also use 10% hydrogen peroxide
(not stronger! use gloves!) but be aware that silicone sealant putty
around the bath may get attacked.

To keep the assorted fauna and flora from re-growing, it helps if you
clean your mossy bathtub corner on regular basis. I do it too, at least
once a year - whether my bathroom needs it or not. (But the easier
alternative is to move into another apartment.)

Ron Jones

Zak wrote:
[...]

1. That's probably as strong as you can buy.
2. We don't have obscure wholesale chemical warehouses in the UK - not that
any general public can get to anyway!
3. Try good old bleach, or a solution of Bio-tex might work, or Vanish
4. Best still, rake out the grout, clean the tiles and use a good mould
resistant one grout in place : go to plumbers merchants - don't use ready
made, it holds too much water - encourages mould, use one that has to be
mixed by weight (cement based) - and use scales! Mix about 300g at a time
(about 55g water IIRC) as it sets in 20 mins! My bathroom gets well damp,
not a trace of any mould, even with the NW weather (raining again...)

Ron Jones

Don't repeat history, see unreported near misses in chemical lab/plant
at http://www.crhf.org.uk
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it!) but 'That's funny ...'" :
Isaac Asimov:

Ian Stirling

In uk.d-i-y Ron Jones wrote:
Zak wrote:
What is the next strongest mould killer ("mold killer" to the
Americans) I can use?

snip
1. That's probably as strong as you can buy.
2. We don't have obscure wholesale chemical warehouses in the UK - not that

Yellow pages.
Take telephone, credit card, and intone "I'd like to place a small private
order for XXX by credit card" till you get a positive response.

FWIW:
In the "Arts and Recipies" section of older CRC Handbooks, if you make
up a 2% solution of copper sulfate, soak a rag in it and let it dry,
and then merely rub the rag over mildew-stricken leather-bound books,
you can treat "scores, up to 100 volumes."
CuSO4 is readily avilable as a root killer from hardware stores, and if
a wipe from a dry cloth that was soaked in 2% CuSO4 is effective, how
much more so direct application of the 2% solution itself.
Tried this on some wood and not only was mold stopped, but the CuSO4
turned out to be invisible.
Ron Jones

Bill Woods wrote:
On Wed 06 Jul 2005 19:33:34, Ron Jones wrote:

3. Try good old bleach, or a solution of Bio-tex might work, or
Vanish

Do you know what ingredient in the Bio-Tex and Vanish makes them
particularly suitable?

Not a bleach, surely?

Bio-tex is an enzyme formulation.
Vanish (the powder form), will probably be a percarbonate (i.e. mild non
chlorine bleach)

Ron Jones

Don't repeat history, see unreported near misses in chemical lab/plant
at http://www.crhf.org.uk
Only two things are certain: The universe and human stupidity; and I?m
not certain about the universe. ~ Albert Einstein

Ron Jones

Ian Stirling wrote:
In uk.d-i-y Ron Jones wrote:
Zak wrote:
What is the next strongest mould killer ("mold killer" to the
Americans) I can use?

snip
1. That's probably as strong as you can buy.
2. We don't have obscure wholesale chemical warehouses in the UK -
not that

Yellow pages.
Take telephone, credit card, and intone "I'd like to place a small
private order for XXX by credit card" till you get a positive
response.

LOL ;-) This is the UK! - HSAWA, COSSH, IPPC... = no private sales. I
happen to work for Alfa Aesar / Avocado / Lancaster. We do get some calls
like this (one or two a year), our friends with the blue flashing lights are
usually quite interested...

Ron Jones

Don't repeat history, see unreported near misses in chemical lab/plant
at http://www.crhf.org.uk
Only two things are certain: The universe and human stupidity; and I?m
not certain about the universe. ~ Albert Einstein

Ian Stirling

In uk.d-i-y Ron Jones wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
In uk.d-i-y Ron Jones wrote:
Zak wrote:
What is the next strongest mould killer ("mold killer" to the
Americans) I can use?

snip
1. That's probably as strong as you can buy.
2. We don't have obscure wholesale chemical warehouses in the UK -
not that

Yellow pages.
Take telephone, credit card, and intone "I'd like to place a small
private order for XXX by credit card" till you get a positive
response.

LOL ;-) This is the UK! - HSAWA, COSSH, IPPC... = no private sales. I
happen to work for Alfa Aesar / Avocado / Lancaster. We do get some calls
like this (one or two a year), our friends with the blue flashing lights are
usually quite interested...

Maybe things have changed.
I quite easily got a barrel of sulphuric acid, and H2O2, 5 years ago or so.
Ron Jones

Ian Stirling wrote:
In uk.d-i-y Ron Jones wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
In uk.d-i-y Ron Jones wrote:
Zak wrote:
What is the next strongest mould killer ("mold killer" to the
Americans) I can use?
snip
1. That's probably as strong as you can buy.
2. We don't have obscure wholesale chemical warehouses in the UK -
not that

Yellow pages.
Take telephone, credit card, and intone "I'd like to place a small
private order for XXX by credit card" till you get a positive
response.

LOL ;-) This is the UK! - HSAWA, COSSH, IPPC... = no private sales.
I happen to work for Alfa Aesar / Avocado / Lancaster. We do get
some calls like this (one or two a year), our friends with the blue
flashing lights are usually quite interested...

Maybe things have changed.
I quite easily got a barrel of sulphuric acid, and H2O2, 5 years ago
or so.

You may well be able to now.... Depends on what the use is. To buy
chemicals as "chemicals" is nigh on impossible - there are only (now) 3 main
suppliers for small to medium amounts - us, SAF, and Acros. One *might* be
able to buy "battery acid" - but that would be ca. 25% w/w sulphuric,
peroxide - yes as dilute solution for hair bleach, and a small selection of
"photographic chemicals" can still be got from some helpful camera shops,
plus a few other odds and ends from (helpful) independent pharmacists.
Anything else will attract the attention of the HSE and the EA (especially
the EA, who will want to know what your waste disposal plan is - and
flushing anything that is not "domestic" down the toilet will not endear you
to them....)