Uno Hoo!

Default Drive Drains

I'm utilising a 'drive drain' at the lower (but widest) end of my new patio
(the drain is the long narrow type - bit like guttering with a metal grille
over). Is it necessary to 'slope' the drain (like with guttering)? The patio
is 9 metres in length at its lower end and because of this long run, any
slope would result in the lowest end of the drain being way below the level
of the flags! Because these drains are not particularly attractive I've
thought of setting it below the level of the flags, putting water permeable
membrane over the grille, with decorative aggregate over the top of that.
This would effectively disguise the drain, would compensate for any drop in
level below the flags for a drainage slope, and water should be able to flow
through the aggregate and the membrane into the drain. Anyone see any
problems with this?

Kev

dennis@home

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
I'm utilising a 'drive drain' at the lower (but widest) end of my new
patio (the drain is the long narrow type - bit like guttering with a
metal grille over). Is it necessary to 'slope' the drain (like with
guttering)? The patio is 9 metres in length at its lower end and because
of this long run, any slope would result in the lowest end of the drain
being way below the level of the flags! Because these drains are not
particularly attractive I've thought of setting it below the level of the
flags, putting water permeable membrane over the grille, with decorative
aggregate over the top of that. This would effectively disguise the drain,
would compensate for any drop in level below the flags for a drainage
slope, and water should be able to flow through the aggregate and the
membrane into the drain. Anyone see any problems with this?

Don't use an aggregate that powders like lime stone chippings.
Washed pebbles would probably be fine.

You will have to clean it out occasionally.

Uno Hoo!

"dennis@home" wrote in message
. uk...

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
[...]

Yes - I'm sure the 'disguise' will work ok, and I can't really see any need
to have the drain sloping - so long as it's perfectly flat, or has a very
very slight downward slope toward the outlet, it should empty ok.

Kev

Chris Bacon

Uno Hoo! wrote:
I'm utilising a 'drive drain' at the lower (but widest) end of my new patio
(the drain is the long narrow type - bit like guttering with a metal grille
over). Is it necessary to 'slope' the drain (like with guttering)? The patio
is 9 metres in length at its lower end and because of this long run, any
slope would result in the lowest end of the drain being way below the level
of the flags!

Your entire "patio" should have a slope, the drain follows this
slope. IMO it's far, far nicer to slope the surface to one or
several "low points" which have trapped gulleys and gratings
to underground piping. Accodrains etc. in a domestic environment
are *frightful*.
Uno Hoo!

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Uno Hoo! wrote:
I'm utilising a 'drive drain' at the lower (but widest) end of my new
patio (the drain is the long narrow type - bit like guttering with a
metal grille over). Is it necessary to 'slope' the drain (like with
guttering)? The patio is 9 metres in length at its lower end and because
of this long run, any slope would result in the lowest end of the drain
being way below the level of the flags!

Your entire "patio" should have a slope, the drain follows this
slope.

I am building the patio across the entire rear of the house. It will slope
down away from the house and into the back lawn. Because the lawn sloped up
away from the house I had to dig into it to make the drainage slope. At the
lowest part of the patio slope I will be building a Bradstone block wall and
this will obviously prevent rainwater from just running off the patio and
draining into the lawn. The Aco drain will therefore run across the 'bottom'
of the patio, parallel to the rear wall of the house. It will not,
therefore, follow the slope of the patio and this is the problem. There is
already a rainwater soakaway (put there by the house builders) conveniently
placed at the lowest part of the slope of the patio, and at one end. I will
have the Aco drain emptying into this soakaway. My query was whether the Aco
drain would drain correctly (from the end above the soakaway) if it was laid
perfectly flat along the lower end of the patio. It seems to me that it
would. The alternative, as I have suggested, would be to put a slight slope
on it but this would result in it the lowest end (above the soakaway) being
below the level of the patio. I suggested that I could deal with this by
covering the 'sunken' Aco with a membrane and aggregate.

IMO it's far, far nicer to slope the surface to one or
several "low points" which have trapped gulleys and gratings
to underground piping. Accodrains etc. in a domestic environment
are *frightful*.

I agree that they are not the most attractive of features - that's why I was
suggesting sinking it slightly below the level of the patio and covering it
with membrane and decorative aggregate. It is a common practice, of course,
to surround patios with such aggregate.

Kev