Aidan

Joe wrote:
Has anyone actually used this for a drive?

No, but I know a man who has.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/stonpv01.htm

Joe

Default Indian sandstone drive?

I'm looking to replace the broken slate of an old driveway with
some kind of reasonably decorative paving slabs. I'm warned that
a minimum thickness of about 45mm in cast concrete slabs is needed
for parking a car on, which seriously limits the possibilities.
Basically, only fairly boring slabs in one or two sizes come that
thick.

I see a lot of Indian sandstone advertised, at about the same price
as decent concrete. Thickness is 25-35mm, but in sandstone this is
said to be OK for the load. Can anyone confirm that? Has anyone
actually used this for a drive?
Aidan

Joe wrote:
This seems excessive to me.

May be there's a good reason for it.

Pavingexpert has got a discussion forum, the Brew Cabin (I think,
never used it). Ask on there.

Joe

Aidan wrote:

Joe wrote:

Has anyone actually used this for a drive?

No, but I know a man who has.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/stonpv01.htm

Yes, an excellent site, but fairly noncommital on this subject. Only
seems to endorse 100-150mm stone for vehicular use. This seems excessive
to me.
Ian Stirling

Joe wrote:
Aidan wrote:

Joe wrote:

Has anyone actually used this for a drive?

No, but I know a man who has.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/stonpv01.htm

Yes, an excellent site, but fairly noncommital on this subject. Only
seems to endorse 100-150mm stone for vehicular use. This seems excessive
to me.

Sandstone is quite weak, compared to concrete (well, some of it.)

I'd only use 20-25mm, if it was bedded in ~100mm of concrete.

The Natural Philosopher

Joe wrote:

I'm looking to replace the broken slate of an old driveway with
some kind of reasonably decorative paving slabs. I'm warned that
a minimum thickness of about 45mm in cast concrete slabs is needed
for parking a car on, which seriously limits the possibilities.
Basically, only fairly boring slabs in one or two sizes come that
thick.

I see a lot of Indian sandstone advertised, at about the same price
as decent concrete. Thickness is 25-35mm, but in sandstone this is
said to be OK for the load. Can anyone confirm that? Has anyone
actually used this for a drive?

Ive used it for a patio, and believe me it is not strong. You would need
to essentuially use it to surface a full blown concrete drive - i.e.
make a load bearing concrete slab, and then set the stones into the top
of it.

Even then don't let the 30 tonners reverse onto it.
The Natural Philosopher

Joe wrote:

Aidan wrote:

Joe wrote:

Has anyone actually used this for a drive?

No, but I know a man who has.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/stonpv01.htm

Yes, an excellent site, but fairly noncommital on this subject. Only
seems to endorse 100-150mm stone for vehicular use. This seems excessive
to me.

The key is to support it fully on a wet mortar base over a rigid sub-layer.

AlexW

Joe wrote:
I'm looking to replace the broken slate of an old driveway with
some kind of reasonably decorative paving slabs. I'm warned that
a minimum thickness of about 45mm in cast concrete slabs is needed
for parking a car on, which seriously limits the possibilities.
Basically, only fairly boring slabs in one or two sizes come that
thick.

I see a lot of Indian sandstone advertised, at about the same price
as decent concrete. Thickness is 25-35mm, but in sandstone this is
said to be OK for the load. Can anyone confirm that? Has anyone
actually used this for a drive?

I have used this on my patio and in my house and I reckon its stronger
than equivalent thickness pre-cast concrete flags. However as others
have alluded its how they are supported which will be the key. I imagine
a full mortar bed on something quite solid would be a must.

I have also seen this stuff used on a farmhouse driveway up the road and
this looks pretty good 2 years after I started walking past that drive.
Not sure what kind of traffic it gets though (probably nothing more than
the odd range-rover & horse box). No idea what the flags are laid on to
either.

Also, IIRC in my case the flag thickness varied from 15mm to 50mm thick
at the extremes. If you get the opportunity to hand pick thick ones from
a crate it might help a little.

HTH,

Alex.