Edrich

Default York Maxitwin Radiator Valve

I have moved into a house with 8mm microbore central heating. I would like
to know how to fit one of the dual entry valves but dont know anything about
them. After looking a one in a merchants I am particularly concerned about
making the compression joint beween the valve and the rad tail and what type
of fitting is needed for the inlet pipe into the radiator.

Thanks

Edrich

Ed Sirett

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 10:13:08 +0000, Edrich wrote:

I have moved into a house with 8mm microbore central heating. I would like
to know how to fit one of the dual entry valves but dont know anything about
them. After looking a one in a merchants I am particularly concerned about
making the compression joint beween the valve and the rad tail and what type
of fitting is needed for the inlet pipe into the radiator.

This question comes up from time to time.

If you have any choice in the matter I would try to put a valve at each
end of the radiator, usually the etra length of 10 or 8 mm pipe can be
hidden behind/under the rad itself.

There are some good reasons for this.
1) You will have a larger choice of valves, in fact any 15mm valve can be
fitted with a reducing olive set to take 8 or 10 pipe.
2) Dual entry valves need to have an internal pipe attached which takes
the flow/return water to the opposite end of the rad internally. This can
and does break resulting in rad becoming hot only in one corner.
3) Radiators can be drained and removed for decorating. I'm nearly certin
that this can't be done with dual entry unit without draining everything.

The downside is that if the existing is in working order leave well alone.

john

"Edrich" wrote in message
I have moved into a house with 8mm microbore central heating. I would like
to know how to fit one of the dual entry valves but dont know anything
about them. After looking a one in a merchants I am particularly concerned
about making the compression joint beween the valve and the rad tail and
what type of fitting is needed for the inlet pipe into the radiator.

Thanks

Edrich

My house has the same valves - the installation must have been easy. The
radiators are always removed for decorating (Ed). It is easy as the opposite
end has a drain cock. Just close the tap and the lockshield, open the drain
and the airvent and lift the radiator away bearing in mind there is the tube
inside. My tubes are nylon and can be left in place or unscrewed once the
radiator has been moved away slightly.

I am dreading the time when I need my Worcester Heatslave replacing and will
have to change these valves and bodge the pipework so that I can have naff
thermostatic valves fitted.