in2minds

Default LV downlighters... shrouds

BCO just been out for final inspection...
I need shrouds inside the ceiling cavity covering the LVD's, he said
they're cloth and look like little tents, anyone know where I can buy
them ?

thanks

LJ

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"in2minds" writes:
BCO just been out for final inspection...
I need shrouds inside the ceiling cavity covering the LVD's, he said
they're cloth and look like little tents, anyone know where I can buy
them ?

Any local electrical wholesaler, or somewhere like TLC mail order...
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ght/index.html

--
Andrew Gabriel
in2minds

BCO just been out for final inspection...
I need shrouds inside the ceiling cavity covering the LVD's, he said
they're cloth and look like little tents, anyone know where I can buy
them ?

Any local electrical wholesaler, or somewhere like TLC mail order...
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ght/index.html

thanks Andrew, knowing the proper term for them helped... local factors
can get them £307 for 29...

could have had an all-in-one light fitting for £14 each if I'd known /c;

SWMBO nearly fell over (c;

LJ

Harris

Blimey!!

is there anyway to do this on the cheep, (just thinking out loud) but
could you build a plaster board box around the light in the cavity, and
surround it with insulation?

lucky my kitchen lights are in a first floor flat, I paid around 100
quid for 10 lights/transformers/junction boxes, etc... which I thought
was a bargain... but if I was downstairs I would have had to pay out
another 120 quid for these things...

in2minds

is there anyway to do this on the cheep, (just thinking out loud) but
could you build a plaster board box around the light in the cavity,
and
surround it with insulation?

lights are in adn the ceiling is plastered, the only way I can add fire
protection to the downlighters is to use these intumescent shrouds

lucky my kitchen lights are in a first floor flat, I paid around 100
quid for 10 lights/transformers/junction boxes, etc... which I thought
was a bargain... but if I was downstairs I would have had to pay out
another 120 quid for these things...

well, I only paid £100 for 30 from screwfix so can't complain... until a
transformer goes and I have to pull the ceiling apart to replace it that
is (c;

LJ

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"in2minds" writes:

well, I only paid £100 for 30 from screwfix so can't complain... until a
transformer goes and I have to pull the ceiling apart to replace it that
is (c;

They should have been inserted through the light holes,
so that they can easily be withdrawn and replaced.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Mike

"Harris" wrote in message
oups.com...
Blimey!!

is there anyway to do this on the cheep, (just thinking out loud) but
could you build a plaster board box around the light in the cavity, and
surround it with insulation?

lucky my kitchen lights are in a first floor flat, I paid around 100
quid for 10 lights/transformers/junction boxes, etc... which I thought
was a bargain... but if I was downstairs I would have had to pay out
another 120 quid for these things...

I thought flats on any floor have to have them.

Harris

I thought flats on any floor have to have them.

hope not, its a converted house and the only thing above is the loft
space so I doubt it... (downstairs has them without shrouds!)

Dave

in2minds wrote:
BCO just been out for final inspection...
I need shrouds inside the ceiling cavity covering the LVD's, he said
they're cloth and look like little tents, anyone know where I can buy
them ?

thanks

LJ

I thought these were only needed when insulation would cover the lights,
are they really needed in a (downstairs?) ceiling "cavity"?

Dave
in2minds

BCO just been out for final inspection...
I need shrouds inside the ceiling cavity covering the LVD's, he said
they're cloth and look like little tents, anyone know where I can buy
them ?

I thought these were only needed when insulation would cover the
lights, are they really needed in a (downstairs?) ceiling "cavity"?

they're in the basement ceiling cavity, it had to have 30 minutes fire
protection and the downlighters don't provide that cover without the
shrouds

LJ

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Dave writes:

I thought these were only needed when insulation would cover the lights,
are they really needed in a (downstairs?) ceiling "cavity"?

Strictly, they are needed whereever you punch a hole though a fire
barrier. This would apply to any such lights in a 3-storey house
except on the top floor. It may apply in other situations too (it
would seem to be a reasonable requirement for all kitchen ceilings
for example, although I don't think it is).

They are nothing to do with keeping insulation of the lights, but
to ensure fire doesn't spread through the light filling to the
area above the ceiling.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Mike

"in2minds" wrote in message
BCO just been out for final inspection...
I need shrouds inside the ceiling cavity covering the LVD's, he said
they're cloth and look like little tents, anyone know where I can buy
them ?

Screwfix stock them.