John Hearns

Default Waste pipe plumbing

The waste plumbing under the kitchen sink in my flat
was done using the ordinary white PVC push-fit piping.

The sink, waste disposal, washing machine and dishwasher
are all plumbed into the one drain. This used what I'll
term a 'christmas tree' ie. a section of pipe with several
screw-fit terminals on it which slopes down slightly.
What is the technical term?
The 'christmas tree' hangs loose, supported by the pipes.
On two occasions I have had flooding due to blockage of the
U-bend or pipes, which then can cause the joints to come apart.

My question is - does something like a 'christmas tree' exist which
clamps to the wall? The waste pipes from sink and waste disposal
could connect via flexible bellows piping?

Set Square

John Hearns wrote:

The waste plumbing under the kitchen sink in my flat
was done using the ordinary white PVC push-fit piping.

The sink, waste disposal, washing machine and dishwasher
are all plumbed into the one drain. This used what I'll
term a 'christmas tree' ie. a section of pipe with several
screw-fit terminals on it which slopes down slightly.
What is the technical term?

It's usually called a manifold.

The 'christmas tree' hangs loose, supported by the pipes.
On two occasions I have had flooding due to blockage of the
U-bend or pipes, which then can cause the joints to come apart.

My question is - does something like a 'christmas tree' exist which
clamps to the wall? The waste pipes from sink and waste disposal
could connect via flexible bellows piping?

I have a similar setup in my kitchen - with the sink and the waste disposal
unit both discharging into the manifold which - in turn - discharges into a
U bend before going out through the wall to the outside drain. The manifold
has connections for about 6 inputs (only 2 of which are used) and has
various baffles inside. Whenever mine has blocked, it has invariably been
due to solid matter (potato peelings etc.) from the waste disposal unit
getting stuck between the baffles. I have greatly improved the situation by
re-plumbing it - so that the route from the waste disposal unit to the drain
is straight through the manifold - i.e. input and output directly opposite
each other.

I've not seen a wall mounted manifold - but it shouldn't be beyond the wit
of man to make some brackets, if that would be useful. You could use pieces
of 3"x1" wood, with manifold-sized holes drilled in them, and then cut into
2 across the hole (like a big-end bearing in a car engine). The larger
piece - cut off to a suitable length - could be screwed to the wall, and the
smaller piece clamped round the manifold and screwed to the larger piece.

You could also reduce the risk of it all falling apart when blocked by
replacing any push-fit fittings with their compression-fit equivalents.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hearns
The waste plumbing under the kitchen sink in my flat
was done using the ordinary white PVC push-fit piping.

My question is - does something like a 'christmas tree' exist which
clamps to the wall? The waste pipes from sink and waste disposal
could connect via flexible bellows piping?
Have you thought of moving the existing waste assembly to the rear or side of the sink unit and fixing it with 1 1/2" waste pipe clips, while extending the pipe from the sink and waste disposal in 1 1/2" pipe. alternatively a suitably sized munson ring and piece of threaded bar and backplate will support the assembly from any adjacent surface.
Pete C

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:40:15 +0100, John Hearns
wrote:

The waste plumbing under the kitchen sink in my flat
was done using the ordinary white PVC push-fit piping.

The sink, waste disposal, washing machine and dishwasher
are all plumbed into the one drain. This used what I'll
term a 'christmas tree' ie. a section of pipe with several
screw-fit terminals on it which slopes down slightly.
What is the technical term?
The 'christmas tree' hangs loose, supported by the pipes.
On two occasions I have had flooding due to blockage of the
U-bend or pipes, which then can cause the joints to come apart.

My question is - does something like a 'christmas tree' exist which
clamps to the wall? The waste pipes from sink and waste disposal
could connect via flexible bellows piping?

Hi,

Try wrapping white packing tape round the joints and making a bracket
for the manifold out of some slotted strip.

cheers,
Pete.