Richard

Default Downlighters and Holesaws

SWMBO has decreed that the kitchen will have (halogen) downlighters.

Fine by me. Except

Screwfix (at page 77-196) directs me to Holesaws on pages 65 and 66
where I expect to find saws to match the lights they sell.

Am I missing something or does 'cutout 80 mm' not suggest a holesaw
which makes an 80 mm hole?

Screwfix has all manner of holesaws in sets or as singles but none in 80
mm as far as I can tell.

WTF?

Richard

--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM
Ian Stirling

Richard wrote:
SWMBO has decreed that the kitchen will have (halogen) downlighters.

Fine by me. Except

As an aside, first try the downlighters lightly fixed to the ceiling,
before cutting holes.
You may find that you have dim spots, or areas which are overly lit.
Dave

Richard wrote:
SWMBO has decreed that the kitchen will have (halogen) downlighters.

Fine by me. Except

Screwfix (at page 77-196) directs me to Holesaws on pages 65 and 66
where I expect to find saws to match the lights they sell.

Am I missing something or does 'cutout 80 mm' not suggest a holesaw
which makes an 80 mm hole?

Screwfix has all manner of holesaws in sets or as singles but none in 80
mm as far as I can tell.

WTF?

Richard

A compass (point and pencil type) plus a padsaw ("Fat Max" from
Homebase) works very well for any size.

Dave
Richard

Ian Stirling wrote:

As an aside, first try the downlighters lightly fixed to the ceiling,
before cutting holes.
You may find that you have dim spots, or areas which are overly lit.

Thanks Ian. Good idea.

--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM
Richard

Dave wrote:

A compass (point and pencil type) plus a padsaw ("Fat Max" from
Homebase) works very well for any size.

Dave

Ah,

The LoTec approach. Simple when you step back from the 'tool for a
purpose' approach to DIY.

And, as I am fitting the lights after the ceiling has been finished,
possibly less destructive.

Thanks Dave

Richard

--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM

Ian Stirling

Richard wrote:
SWMBO has decreed that the kitchen will have (halogen) downlighters.

Fine by me. Except

Screwfix (at page 77-196) directs me to Holesaws on pages 65 and 66
where I expect to find saws to match the lights they sell.

Am I missing something or does 'cutout 80 mm' not suggest a holesaw
which makes an 80 mm hole?

Oh, IIRC, there are adjustable holesaws, which may be suitable.
Mike

"Richard" wrote in message
SWMBO has decreed that the kitchen will have (halogen) downlighters.

Fine by me. Except

Screwfix (at page 77-196) directs me to Holesaws on pages 65 and 66
where I expect to find saws to match the lights they sell.

Am I missing something or does 'cutout 80 mm' not suggest a holesaw
which makes an 80 mm hole?

Screwfix has all manner of holesaws in sets or as singles but none in 80
mm as far as I can tell.

Screwfix D12620 (£14.99) handles most lights.

Ellis Greensitt

Mike" wrote in message
"Richard" wrote in message
SWMBO has decreed that the kitchen will have (halogen) downlighters.

Fine by me. Except

Screwfix (at page 77-196) directs me to Holesaws on pages 65 and 66
where I expect to find saws to match the lights they sell.

Am I missing something or does 'cutout 80 mm' not suggest a holesaw
which makes an 80 mm hole?

Screwfix has all manner of holesaws in sets or as singles but none in 80
mm as far as I can tell

Most Electrcical Wholesalers sell holesaws of most common downlighter cut
out sizes including 80mm.

--
Ellis Greensitt, Site Admin, UK Electrcians Forum
http://supplychain.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

TheScullster

Personally I like nice neat jobs whether they are covered by bezels,
architraving afterwards or not!
I got a multi pack hole saw (common back plate and 4 cutters of different
sizes).
Found that the cutter claiming to be 89mm actually cut about 95mm!
Had to pack the cutter blade into the back plate to maintain the correct
diameter.
Fortunately, being the "nice neat job liker" I discovered this on a test
scrap piece of plasterboard not the bathroom ceiling!

Phil

johnty

I have just complete the same job (in response to the same decree).

I found there is a bit of leeway in hole size depending on the style
of light. The next nearest size up from the recommended will almost
certainly be fine. Using the nearest size down make for a very tight
fit -- something I did on the first couple of lights that I fitted.
Let's hope I don't have to remove then anytime soon.

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 08:28:08 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

I got a multi pack hole saw (common back plate and 4 cutters of different
sizes).

Possibly one of the most ill-conceived and generally most useless tools
around. Spend the extra and get the tube sort - at least they stay
attached.
John Rumm

Richard wrote:

Screwfix has all manner of holesaws in sets or as singles but none in 80
mm as far as I can tell.

The 86mm

Will almost certainly be fine (most downlights have over a cm of bezel
all the way round).

--
Cheers,

John.

Stuart Noble

John Rumm wrote:
Richard wrote:

Screwfix has all manner of holesaws in sets or as singles but none in
80 mm as far as I can tell.

The 86mm

Will almost certainly be fine (most downlights have over a cm of bezel
all the way round).

If it's a lath and plaster ceiling you usually end up using the padsaw.
The laths aren't stable enough and anything mechanical just bounces
around too much
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Stuart Noble writes:
If it's a lath and plaster ceiling you usually end up using the padsaw.
The laths aren't stable enough and anything mechanical just bounces
around too much

.... and a lath and plaster ceiling will require lights suitable
for mounting in a flammable ceiling.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Tim..

"Richard" wrote in message
SWMBO has decreed that the kitchen will have (halogen) downlighters.

Fine by me. Except

Screwfix (at page 77-196) directs me to Holesaws on pages 65 and 66
where I expect to find saws to match the lights they sell.

Am I missing something or does 'cutout 80 mm' not suggest a holesaw
which makes an 80 mm hole?

Screwfix has all manner of holesaws in sets or as singles but none in 80
mm as far as I can tell.

I have a 'motorised compasses attachment' affair (from Toolstation or
Screwfix) the shank of which you pop in your drill, then slaken the wing nut
and slide the cutter blade in or out to your required diameter.

Place the center point on the relevant spot, on slow speed (dead slow- else
dust everywhere) the blade rotates and cuts a very neat hole in the
plasterboard. Works lovely on plastics too.

Obviously does all sizes from about 25mm upto about 150 from memory.

Tim..