Ali Mac

Default Window through chimney breast

I was just reading the thread 'Things that make simple jobs hard' and that
reminded me to post this question. We're approaching the end of the kitchen
refurb and a visiting friend said ' You know what you should do, you should
put a window above the sink. Everybody says it's a good idea and we did in
in our house and blah blah' so now I have to put a window above the sink,
through an unused chimney breast. It'll be a small window (Wickes 40% off
PCVu windows 620 wide x 1050 high) and I'll be going though a half brick
breast and a full brick exterior wall (Victorian house)

Quite happy to knock holes in walls and put lintels in. It'll be set more or
less flush to the outside, so there'll be a deep internal ledge
Anybody done this and can give me any advice? The flue will still need to be
vented, so will it be better to do that through the wall above the opening
or at the top of the boxing out (does that make sense?).

Alistair

Stuart Noble

Ali Mac wrote:
[...]

What about support for the chimney breast? Have you've still got the
stack on the roof? Do you share the stack with next door?

[news]

Stuart Noble wrote:

What about support for the chimney breast? Have you've still got the
stack on the roof? Do you share the stack with next door?

a window into next door's fireplace ? is that what the OP wants ?

pilkington K won't be enough to reflect the heat and upvc for the frame
is out of the question. who will be responsible for cleaning the window ?

RT

nightjar

"Ali Mac" wrote in message
I was just reading the thread 'Things that make simple jobs hard' and that
reminded me to post this question. We're approaching the end of the kitchen
refurb and a visiting friend said ' You know what you should do, you should
put a window above the sink. Everybody says it's a good idea and we did in
in our house and blah blah' so now I have to put a window above the sink,
through an unused chimney breast.

Unless you plan to spend long periods standing at the sink, there is usually
not a lot of point in putting a window there.

Quite happy to knock holes in walls and put lintels in. It'll be set more
or less flush to the outside, so there'll be a deep internal ledge
Anybody done this and can give me any advice?

Not a window, but I did put the flue for a cooker hood through an old
chimney breast. I suggest that you make sure the chimney has been really
well swept before you start knocking holes in it.

The flue will still need to be vented, so will it be better to do that
through the wall above the opening or at the top of the boxing out (does
that make sense?).

If you put the vent into a horizontal surface, add a bit of ducting above
the vent and fit an angle piece at the top, so that dirt cannot fall
straight through and out of the vent.

Colin Bignell

Mary Fisher

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

"Ali Mac" wrote in message
I was just reading the thread 'Things that make simple jobs hard' and that
reminded me to post this question. We're approaching the end of the
kitchen refurb and a visiting friend said ' You know what you should do,
you should put a window above the sink. Everybody says it's a good idea
and we did in in our house and blah blah' so now I have to put a window
above the sink, through an unused chimney breast.

Unless you plan to spend long periods standing at the sink, there is
usually not a lot of point in putting a window there.

Oh I disagree! Where else in a kitchen would you suggest putting window?
Where else do you spend any time? At the cooker perhaps but it's not
practical to have a window there.

At the sink you need light, more often than not you're creating a shadow
over the sink from the general room lighting. Having artificial light over
the sink is necessary when the sun's gone down but natural light is far
better than artificial light in every way.

I've lived in four houses in my life, three had the sink at the window, one
didn't. We only lived there for four years but I certainly wouldn't go back
to a windowless sink, not even a screen or a fish tank would be a
compensation.

We have a small sink (rather than a silly washbasin) in the bathroom. It's
next to the window but since the glass was pebbled it might as well have
been anywhere in the room. Spouse removed the casements and installed a
single double glazed window, it's now a delight to do anything there, we can
see the garden, the birds, the sky ...

It's probably a very personal preference but I'm sure I'm not unique, which
is why there is a lot of point in having a window at a sink for many people.

Mary

Ali Mac

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
Ali Mac wrote:

so now I have to put a window above the sink,
through an unused chimney breast. It'll be a small window (Wickes 40% off
PCVu windows 620 wide x 1050 high) and I'll be going though a half brick
breast and a full brick exterior wall (Victorian house)

Alistair

What about support for the chimney breast? Have you've still got the stack
on the roof? Do you share the stack with next door?

Hi Stuart

I'll put in an internal lintel to support the breast. The stack is joined,
but through the party wall so that doesn't affect our plans.

Alistair

Ali Mac

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

"Ali Mac" wrote in message

SNIP so now I have to put a window above the sink,
[...]

Thanks Colin, your post made me realise that since I'm piercing the wall to
run the extractor hood vent through to the outside, then I might as well
vent it there. Or even both. Thansk for the tip about the angled ducting.

Alistair

Mary Fisher wrote:
nightjar wrote
"Ali Mac" wrote in message

You know what you should do, you should put a window above the sink.

We have a small sink (rather than a silly washbasin) in the bathroom. It's
next to the window but since the glass was pebbled it might as well have
been anywhere in the room. Spouse removed the casements and installed a
single double glazed window, it's now a delight to do anything there, we can
see the garden, the birds, the sky ...

Have you been arrested yet for public indecency ?

HTH

Paul.

nightjar

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...
Unless you plan to spend long periods standing at the sink, there is
usually not a lot of point in putting a window there.

Oh I disagree! Where else in a kitchen would you suggest putting window?

My kitchen has work areas down both long sides, with the window in one end
wall.

Where else do you spend any time? At the cooker perhaps but it's not
practical to have a window there.

I probably spend most time in the food preparation area, which is next to
the cooker.

At the sink you need light, more often than not you're creating a shadow
over the sink from the general room lighting. Having artificial light over
the sink is necessary when the sun's gone down but natural light is far
better than artificial light in every way.

I don't recall the last time I needed to stand at the sink and, where I need
light in the kitchen, I have local task lighting.

Colin Bignell

David Lang

Hi Alistair
We're approaching the end of the kitchen refurb and a visiting friend said
' You know what you should do, you should put a window above the sink.

Don't you just love people who make helpful DIY suggestions?

My sister in law once suggested removing a 10' long x 6' deep x 4' high
raised bed and extending our
patio.............................................

Dave

Nick Atty

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 08:51:05 +0100, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my
surname here.uk.com wrote:

"Ali Mac" wrote in message
I was just reading the thread 'Things that make simple jobs hard' and that
reminded me to post this question. We're approaching the end of the kitchen
refurb and a visiting friend said ' You know what you should do, you should
put a window above the sink. Everybody says it's a good idea and we did in
in our house and blah blah' so now I have to put a window above the sink,
through an unused chimney breast.

Unless you plan to spend long periods standing at the sink, there is usually
not a lot of point in putting a window there.

I think the usual wisdom is the other way round.

If you are turning a room into a kitchen, then the best place to put the
sink is under a window because you need all the wall you can get in
kitchens for other stuff and you can't put anything much over a sink.

I don't think it follows that you have to put a window over the sink.

--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)
nightjar

"Nick Atty" wrote in message
I think the usual wisdom is the other way round.

If you are turning a room into a kitchen, then the best place to put the
sink is under a window because you need all the wall you can get in
kitchens for other stuff and you can't put anything much over a sink.

The hot water / central heating boiler is over mine.

I don't think it follows that you have to put a window over the sink.

I think the idea comes from the fact that, before dishwashers, people would
spend a lot of time at the sink, so needed something to look at.

Colin Bignell

Mary Fisher

"Nick Atty" wrote in message

Unless you plan to spend long periods standing at the sink, there is
usually
not a lot of point in putting a window there.

I think the usual wisdom is the other way round.

If you are turning a room into a kitchen, then the best place to put the
sink is under a window because you need all the wall you can get in
kitchens for other stuff and you can't put anything much over a sink.

I don't think it follows that you have to put a window over the sink.

I've NEVER seen a window under a sink.

But hey, whatever turns you on ...

Mary

Mary Fisher

I think the idea comes from the fact that, before dishwashers, people
would spend a lot of time at the sink, so needed something to look at.

You - well, in this house we - still spend time at the sink. Washing dishes
isn't the only activity there for many people, you know!

And it's not a matter of NEEDING something to look at either, just
preferring to look into the garden rather than a wall or shelves or a boiler
or whatever.

Mary

Colin Bignell

David Lang

Hi Colin
I think the idea comes from the fact that, before dishwashers, people
would spend a lot of time at the sink, so needed something to look at.

AFAIK its comes from just after WW2 when a huge house building project was
started. The concept was; Dad at work, mum at home, children playing in
garden. Mum could keep an eye on Janet & John whilst washing up, peeling
spuds, whatever. That's also why the kitchen is at the back of most houses
of that era.

Dave

Mary Fisher

"David Lang" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi Colin
I think the idea comes from the fact that, before dishwashers, people
would spend a lot of time at the sink, so needed something to look at.

AFAIK its comes from just after WW2 when a huge house building project was
started. The concept was; Dad at work, mum at home, children playing in
garden. Mum could keep an eye on Janet & John whilst washing up, peeling
spuds, whatever.

Oh what a load of ********.

Mary

Owain

David Lang wrote:
AFAIK its comes from just after WW2 when a huge house building project was
started. The concept was; Dad at work, mum at home, children playing in
garden. Mum could keep an eye on Janet & John whilst washing up, peeling
spuds, whatever. That's also why the kitchen is at the back of most houses
of that era.

More practically, the bathroom is usually at the back (because frosted
glass windows don't look nice at the front of the house) so that's where
the drains are, and having the kitchen sink under the window means the
pipe can go straight through the wall and into a gully in the back yard.

Owain

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
David Lang wrote:
AFAIK its comes from just after WW2 when a huge house building project
was started. The concept was; Dad at work, mum at home, children playing
in garden. Mum could keep an eye on Janet & John whilst washing up,
peeling spuds, whatever. That's also why the kitchen is at the back of
most houses of that era.

More practically, the bathroom is usually at the back (because frosted
glass windows don't look nice at the front of the house)

They don't look nice from inside the house either!

But I've noticed that a lot of front porches are now being glazed with
frosted glass.

so that's where the drains are, and having the kitchen sink under the
window means the pipe can go straight through the wall and into a gully in
the back yard.

That's more like it.

Mary

Owain

Stuart Noble

David Lang wrote:
Hi Colin

I think the idea comes from the fact that, before dishwashers, people
would spend a lot of time at the sink, so needed something to look at.

They just preferred natural light.

AFAIK its comes from just after WW2 when a huge house building project was
started. The concept was; Dad at work, mum at home, children playing in
garden. Mum could keep an eye on Janet & John whilst washing up, peeling
spuds, whatever.

Now mum and dad are both at work, Janet and John are at school (or
"after school club") from 8 till 6, and the garden's overgrown. That's
progress for you.

David Lang wrote:
Hi Alistair
We're approaching the end of the kitchen refurb and a visiting friend said
' You know what you should do, you should put a window above the sink.

Don't you just love people who make helpful DIY suggestions?

My sister in law once suggested removing a 10' long x 6' deep x 4' high
raised bed and extending our
patio.............................................

Dave

So, did you take the opportunity and bury her under it?

Andrew

Ali Mac

"David Lang" wrote in message
o.uk...
Hi Alistair
We're approaching the end of the kitchen refurb and a visiting friend
said ' You know what you should do, you should put a window above the
sink.

Don't you just love people who make helpful DIY suggestions?

My sister in law once suggested removing a 10' long x 6' deep x 4' high
raised bed and extending our
patio.............................................

Dave

Too true, Dave

On the basis that every challenge is an opportunity, I now know all about
suitable lintels for solid brick walls. And I suppose that it will make the
kitchen lighter, which was always a problem. Someone on another thread said
that one benefit of DIY is that you can change and adapt and have more time
to think things through, as you plod along, and that is definitely the case
in this project. Once it's finshed it will be a really nice room. Now, who
knows anything about built under cookers...............?

Alistair

Mary Fisher

"Ali Mac" wrote in message

Someone on another thread said that one benefit of DIY is that you can
change and adapt and have more time to think things through, as you plod
along, and that is definitely the case in this project.

I'll be reading everything you say, definitely ;-)

Mary

Alistair

Oilierthanthou

"Ali Mac" wrote in message
so now I have to put a window above the sink,
through an unused chimney breast. It'll be a small window SNIP

Why a window ?

A Periscope would give a much superior view, and you wouldn't have to knock
a hole through the wall. :-)

John

Mary Fisher

"Oilierthanthou" wrote in message

"Ali Mac" wrote in message
so now I have to put a window above the sink,
through an unused chimney breast. It'll be a small window SNIP

Why a window ?

A Periscope would give a much superior view,

Pedantically, yes.

and you wouldn't have to knock
a hole through the wall. :-)

But you need to peer at a pe(e)riscope to get the view.

Mary

John