Junior Member

Default Unwarping Wooden Tiles

Hello folks,

I'm a completely hopeless amateur when it comes to these things, so I'm hoping you'll be able to give me a helping hand.

I recently suffered from a flooding which left a section of my rectangular, wooden tiles warped. The effect was to make it look like something was trying to burst up through the floor. A number of amateur solutions (i.e. standing, jumping, putting a dictionary on them...yes, I know) ended up dislodging several tiles which won't now fit back into their slots. Any suggestions as to how I could 'unwarp' the tiles and slot them back into their positions?

Cheers!

Ben
Junior Member

Location: Kent, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benpipe
Hello folks,

I'm a completely hopeless amateur when it comes to these things, so I'm hoping you'll be able to give me a helping hand.

I recently suffered from a flooding which left a section of my rectangular, wooden tiles warped. The effect was to make it look like something was trying to burst up through the floor. A number of amateur solutions (i.e. standing, jumping, putting a dictionary on them...yes, I know) ended up dislodging several tiles which won't now fit back into their slots. Any suggestions as to how I could 'unwarp' the tiles and slot them back into their positions?

Cheers!

Ben
Only time will solve your problem, sorry. What you could do the 'speed' things up a bit, without further damaging the tiles is making sure all water is gone (but I'm sure you alreayd done that), ventilate as much as possible to get the excess humidity out and hope for the best.
The wood will shrink back eventually, but if all will fit nicely flat again only time will tell.
__________________
Wood likes water as long it's a tree. After that....
www.wood-you-like-diy.co.uk

Benpipe Wrote:

Hello folks,

I'm a completely hopeless amateur when it comes to these things, so I'm
hoping you'll be able to give me a helping hand.

I recently suffered from a flooding which left a section of my
rectangular, wooden tiles warped. The effect was to make it look like
something was trying to burst up through the floor. A number of amateur
solutions (i.e. standing, jumping, putting a dictionary on them...yes, I
know) ended up dislodging several tiles which won't now fit back into
their slots. Any suggestions as to how I could 'unwarp' the tiles and
slot them back into their positions?

Cheers!

Ben

hehe. Tiles bend because one side contains more water than the other,
the wetter side swells. Let them dry out and they will more or less
flatten, but may not fully. If you want to ensure complete flatness,
wet the concave side, let all surface water evaporate, and clamp the
thing flat under serious pressure, and keep there till the wood fully
dries out. A dictionary does not constitute serious pressure, 100
dictionaries per tile might be closer.

NT

wooden tiles henk Home Repair 4 April 3rd 05 12:13 AM
Falling Tiles in the bathroom - HELP!!! [email protected] UK diy 11 March 23rd 05 02:23 PM
How to replace a shower when I don't have matching tiles Richard Hamer UK diy 7 January 9th 05 07:10 PM
How do I prepare/level an uneven wooden floor for laying ceramic tiles? Peter UK diy 2 September 4th 04 11:39 PM
Anyone advise why wall tiles are not adhering well? Mike Barnard UK diy 4 May 10th 04 07:47 PM