DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Suitable Extractor fan + chipboard floors (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/107720-suitable-extractor-fan-chipboard-floors.html)

Gaffar May 29th 05 02:13 PM

Suitable Extractor fan + chipboard floors

Hi, hoping this has probably been done many times and someone will have
a quick answer

I am just finishing off an extension which has left me with a
bathroom in the middle of the house with no external walls, so no
windows.

Can anyone suggest an extractor fan that would be suitable and upto the
job
of keeping the bathroom relatively dry from the steam.

Extractor will be vented through the roof

The other qestion is, are 18mm water resisitant Tongue & Cheek chipboard
panels
suitable for 1st flooring (especially in a shower room)

Thanks in advance for your responses

Gaffar

PhilÅ May 29th 05 03:42 PM

"Gaffar" wrote in message
Hi, hoping this has probably been done many times and someone will have
a quick answer

I am just finishing off an extension which has left me with a
bathroom in the middle of the house with no external walls, so no
windows.

Can anyone suggest an extractor fan that would be suitable and upto the
job
of keeping the bathroom relatively dry from the steam.

Extractor will be vented through the roof

The other qestion is, are 18mm water resisitant Tongue & Cheek chipboard
panels
suitable for 1st flooring (especially in a shower room)

Thanks in advance for your responses

Gaffar

Water resistant chipboard!!. Interesting.

I after a leak or two and replaced with 18mm Marine ply flooring, will take
a soaking apparently.

[email protected] May 29th 05 03:58 PM

Gaffar wrote:
Hi, hoping this has probably been done many times and someone will have
a quick answer

I am just finishing off an extension which has left me with a
bathroom in the middle of the house with no external walls, so no
windows.

Can anyone suggest an extractor fan that would be suitable and upto the
job
of keeping the bathroom relatively dry from the steam.

Extractor will be vented through the roof

any tangential fan designed to be used with ducting. See screwfix or
toolstation .com
4" will give you garbage flow rate, 6" has real use.

The other qestion is, are 18mm water resisitant Tongue & Cheek chipboard
panels
suitable for 1st flooring (especially in a shower room)

no way Jose. Use WBP ply

NT

JoeJoe May 29th 05 06:47 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Gaffar wrote:
Hi, hoping this has probably been done many times and someone will have
a quick answer

I am just finishing off an extension which has left me with a
bathroom in the middle of the house with no external walls, so no
windows.

Can anyone suggest an extractor fan that would be suitable and upto the
job
of keeping the bathroom relatively dry from the steam.

Extractor will be vented through the roof

any tangential fan designed to be used with ducting. See screwfix or
toolstation .com
4" will give you garbage flow rate, 6" has real use.

TLC also do a 5" wall mounted one - installed two of those in the past. The
one in our shower room works like a dream - never a trace of any steam in
the room (timer set to 10 minutes or so).

Gaffar May 29th 05 08:55 PM

wrote:

Gaffar wrote:
Hi, hoping this has probably been done many times and someone will have
a quick answer

I am just finishing off an extension which has left me with a
bathroom in the middle of the house with no external walls, so no
windows.

Can anyone suggest an extractor fan that would be suitable and upto the
job
of keeping the bathroom relatively dry from the steam.

Extractor will be vented through the roof

any tangential fan designed to be used with ducting. See screwfix or
toolstation .com
4" will give you garbage flow rate, 6" has real use.

The other qestion is, are 18mm water resisitant Tongue & Cheek chipboard
panels
suitable for 1st flooring (especially in a shower room)

no way Jose. Use WBP ply

NT

Thanks for the replies

Looks like my options are either 18mm wbp plywood or aqua panels over
the top of the chipboard that
has already been laid.

BTW, is the chipboard ok for other rooms like bedrooms, or a definite
no-no and just stick to 12mm
wbp plywood for these.

Thanks
Gaffar

Pete C May 29th 05 09:51 PM

On Sun, 29 May 2005 13:13:48 +0000 (UTC), Gaffar
wrote:

The other qestion is, are 18mm water resisitant Tongue & Cheek chipboard
panels
suitable for 1st flooring (especially in a shower room)

According to building regs it is:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&c2coff=1&q=water+resistant+chipboard+ odpm&spell=1

Still, I'd seal it with a couple of coats of something decent like
marine varnish and tape the joins with aluminium tape. If you can
seal the edges too and a border round the underside before laying even
better.

Whatever you use if it stays wet for a long time it will rot unless
treated, so sealing is a good way to go.

If tiling on it check with adhesive manufacturer for compatiblity with
your sealer of choice.

cheers,
Pete.

[email protected] May 30th 05 01:22 AM

Gaffar wrote:
wrote:

Thanks for the replies

Looks like my options are either 18mm wbp plywood

yup

or aqua panels over
the top of the chipboard that
has already been laid.

no no no

BTW, is the chipboard ok for other rooms like bedrooms, or a definite
no-no and just stick to 12mm
wbp plywood for these.

chip is fine where theres no chance of it getting wet. Water only needs
to sit on it once and its a gonner, so quite uselses for bathroom
floors.

NT

Andrew Gabriel May 30th 05 01:36 AM

In article .com,
writes:

chip is fine where theres no chance of it getting wet. Water only needs
to sit on it once and its a gonner, so quite uselses for bathroom
floors.

The water resistant chipboard for bathrooms survives wet for ages,
much to my surprise. Things like the carpet grippers had all rotted
away, but the chipboard was still rock solid, in spite of being wet
possibly for a year or more, and supporting an internal thermal
block wall (also wet right through).

Standard chipboard flooring disintegrates as you suggests.

--
Andrew Gabriel

[email protected] May 30th 05 12:24 PM

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article .com,
writes:

chip is fine where theres no chance of it getting wet. Water only needs
to sit on it once and its a gonner, so quite uselses for bathroom
floors.

The water resistant chipboard for bathrooms survives wet for ages,
much to my surprise. Things like the carpet grippers had all rotted
away, but the chipboard was still rock solid, in spite of being wet
possibly for a year or more, and supporting an internal thermal
block wall (also wet right through).

Standard chipboard flooring disintegrates as you suggests.

Ooh. This sounds like what I've been looking for for ages. Well, it
would if it comes in a melamine finished version, but I dont suppose
flooring does.

NT

Pete C May 30th 05 03:43 PM

On 30 May 2005 00:36:42 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article .com,
writes:

chip is fine where theres no chance of it getting wet. Water only needs
to sit on it once and its a gonner, so quite uselses for bathroom
floors.

The water resistant chipboard for bathrooms survives wet for ages,
much to my surprise. Things like the carpet grippers had all rotted
away, but the chipboard was still rock solid, in spite of being wet
possibly for a year or more, and supporting an internal thermal
block wall (also wet right through).

Sounds good, did it warp or expand much?

I suppose a good test for flooring chipboard is to boil a sample or
give it a cycle in an old dishwasher.

cheers,
Pete.

Andrew Gabriel May 30th 05 04:25 PM

Gabriel) wrote:
The water resistant chipboard for bathrooms survives wet for ages,
much to my surprise. Things like the carpet grippers had all rotted
away, but the chipboard was still rock solid, in spite of being wet
possibly for a year or more, and supporting an internal thermal
block wall (also wet right through).

Sounds good, did it warp or expand much?

Not at all. I was worried about the wall built on it dropping,
but it hadn't. I don't know if there are different qualities
of waterproof chipboard. I think the whole upstairs floor of
this house (about 15 years old) is built with it.

I suppose a good test for flooring chipboard is to boil a sample or
give it a cycle in an old dishwasher.

That sort of heat might have other effects.
Just leave a piece outdoors and see what happens.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Pete C May 30th 05 07:43 PM

On 30 May 2005 15:25:18 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

I suppose a good test for flooring chipboard is to boil a sample or
give it a cycle in an old dishwasher.

That sort of heat might have other effects.
Just leave a piece outdoors and see what happens.

Seems to be a valid way of testing moisture resistance:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&c2coff=1&q=particleboard+boil+test&bt nG=Search

If using it for a project then a quick test would be helpful, though
buying it from a reputable source should be a good start.

cheers,
Pete.

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk May 31st 05 04:27 PM

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

The water resistant chipboard for bathrooms survives wet for ages,
much to my surprise.

I agree.
Just out of laziness I have had an old sheet of green 18mm chip outside
for the last 3 weeks Of which one weekend was the wettest I have seen
for years. It's resting between the angled drive and the flat flag
stones, and gets used as a spring board on a daily basis.

So far it is holding it's own. has a slight curvature, but no more than
the new stuff I got off Wicks shelves last weekend!

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk May 31st 05 04:28 PM

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Just leave a piece outdoors and see what happens.

See my previous post.

3 weeks and still going strong!

:¬)

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)