Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Holly in France

Default iPod photo and Windows XP (OT for uk.diy)

Hi all, I'm posting this to ie.comp and also uk.diy since folks there are a
fountain of knowledge on all sorts of issues, cut the x-post if you want
to.

My husband has just kindly given me an iPod photo for my birthday - yipee!
Problem is, we don't have a computer which will work with it. It needs XP
with SP2. Our XP computer isn't, and I don't want it to be, connected to
the internet. Even if I bring it all downstairs and connect it all up it
wouldn't hold a connection for a 260mB download. I might be able to get
someone to send me SP2 on a CD but I don't really need it for anything
other than this.

Please does anyone know what 'bits' of SP2 are needed to run iPod photo
software? ie, would it be possible to download (onto a computer running
Win98) or ask someone to send me the relevant updates?

Have searched the Apple site and discussion forums, will continue to google
and ask on the forum if necessary.

Another point, the iPod says it needs a high power USB2 port - how do we
know if ours is high power or not, and just in case it isn't, are we likely
to do any damage if we plug it in and see what happens?! If not I will try
installing the iPod software, maybe the music bit might work even if the
photo bit doesn't - or not?! Anyone ever tried it?

Any other good ideas out there?

A general whinge - why do so many products require very recent computers in
order to work? We have four perfectly good computers here, and two digital
cameras which will only work with one of them and now an iPod which won't
work with any of them!

TIA

--
Holly, in France