Richard

Default Who cuts your wood?

Was it the Do It All chain of shops where they would cut your timber
purchases on a big cutting machine? I think it was, but I think they
went bust. Anyway, where can I go to that will cut my hardboard and
contiboard purchases? I live near Wakefeld in West Yorkshire BTW.

Frank Erskine

On Tue, 10 May 2005 10:37:55 +0100, "Richard" wrote:

Was it the Do It All chain of shops where they would cut your timber
purchases on a big cutting machine? I think it was, but I think they
went bust. Anyway, where can I go to that will cut my hardboard and
contiboard purchases? I live near Wakefeld in West Yorkshire BTW.

I don't know Wakefield, but Homebase have a cutting service.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Stuart

On Tue, 10 May 2005 10:21:32 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine
wrote:

On Tue, 10 May 2005 10:37:55 +0100, "Richard" wrote:

Was it the Do It All chain of shops where they would cut your timber
purchases on a big cutting machine? I think it was, but I think they
went bust. Anyway, where can I go to that will cut my hardboard and
contiboard purchases? I live near Wakefeld in West Yorkshire BTW.

I don't know Wakefield, but Homebase have a cutting service.

So do B+Q and some Timber Merchants will do so as well.
Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.
Homer2911

Was it the Do It All chain of shops where they would cut your timber
purchases on a big cutting machine? I think it was, but I think they
went bust. Anyway, where can I go to that will cut my hardboard and
contiboard purchases? I live near Wakefeld in West Yorkshire BTW.

Homebase is absolutely ace for cutting to a list from sheet material

The Natural Philosopher

Richard wrote:

Was it the Do It All chain of shops where they would cut your timber
purchases on a big cutting machine? I think it was, but I think they
went bust. Anyway, where can I go to that will cut my hardboard and
contiboard purchases? I live near Wakefeld in West Yorkshire BTW.

Any decent timber mercahnt will do this for you.

Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 10 May 2005 10:37:55 +0100, Richard wrote:

Anyway, where can I go to that will cut my hardboard and
contiboard purchases?

Buy a cheapo circular saw and DIY... Only the bigger sheds seem to
have a cutting service these days. I'd expect any other place to
charge for cutting timber not purchased at that store.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Owain

Steve Firth wrote:
Richard wrote:
Was it the Do It All chain of shops

Err no, it was me, in the garden with a circular saw...
Or was it Professor Plum in the Study with the lead pipe?

Didn't think lead pipe was legal any more.

And a bounce on the bonce with a length of polypipe doesn't have the
same effect.

Owain

dale hammond

chain saw more fun

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
Richard wrote:

Was it the Do It All chain of shops

Err no, it was me, in the garden with a circular saw...

Or was it Professor Plum in the Study with the lead pipe?

-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

s--p--o--n--i--x

On Tue, 10 May 2005 13:29:21 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Buy a cheapo circular saw and DIY... Only the bigger sheds seem to
have a cutting service these days. I'd expect any other place to
charge for cutting timber not purchased at that store.

Most big B&Q warehouses will do it for free.

sponix
AlexW

Richard wrote:
Was it the Do It All chain of shops where they would cut your timber
purchases on a big cutting machine? I think it was, but I think they
went bust. Anyway, where can I go to that will cut my hardboard and
contiboard purchases? I live near Wakefeld in West Yorkshire BTW.

I like to support my local timber merchants rather than big sheds for
timber.

The quality is usually better and all I have been to recently have
cutting facilties.

Alex.

Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 10 May 2005 16:01:39 +0100, AlexW wrote:

I like to support my local timber merchants rather than big sheds
for timber.

The quality is usually better and all I have been to recently have
cutting facilties.

Agree, cheaper in many cases, with a wider range of sizes and decent
lengths, up to 5m+. The builders merchant I use also does free
delivery. We are 20+ miles from *any* BM or shed, so for big things
that is quite a plus. Not sure that the B&Q Superstore (at 20miles
ish) does delivery, even for a fee. The nearest B&Q Warehouse is about
40 miles away, I bet they charge an arm, if not a leg as well, for
delivery that far.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 10 May 2005 14:53:40 GMT, s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:

Most big B&Q warehouses will do it for free.

Even for timber/boards not bought there?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

[news]

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 10 May 2005 16:01:39 +0100, AlexW wrote:

I like to support my local timber merchants rather than big sheds
for timber.

The quality is usually better and all I have been to recently have
cutting facilties.

Agree, cheaper in many cases, with a wider range of sizes and decent
lengths, up to 5m+. The builders merchant I use also does free
delivery.

I have a TP account for those same reasons

RT

David Lang

Homebase is absolutely ace for cutting to a list from sheet material

Don't know about 'ace'! IMO you have to watch them like a hawk!

Last 40mm worktop I had cut was put on the machine the wrong way round and
so the top surface chipped badly and they cut it half an inch too short.
Guy doing it didn't even comprehend he had done anything wrong.

Dave

Christian McArdle

I like to support my local timber merchants rather than big sheds for
timber.

Whilst I'd like to, when I needed a load of floorboards for my conservatory,
the timber merchant would only supply random lengths. The construction of
the floor required full length boards and was just shy of 3m across the
joists, so I only wanted 3m boards (which needed about 50mm cut off each.
When I asked them, they looked at me as though I was mad and said it simply
wasn't possible to have fixed length boards and that they weren't commonly
available.

Fortunately, no-one told B&Q, who had 3m fixed length boards at half the
price of the timber merchant's random length ones. The wood wasn't even that
bad. I think I've noticed a substantial increase in B&Q wood quality over
the last few years.

Christian.

AlexW

Christian McArdle wrote:
I like to support my local timber merchants rather than big sheds for
timber.

Whilst I'd like to, when I needed a load of floorboards for my conservatory,
the timber merchant would only supply random lengths. The construction of
the floor required full length boards and was just shy of 3m across the
joists, so I only wanted 3m boards (which needed about 50mm cut off each.
When I asked them, they looked at me as though I was mad and said it simply
wasn't possible to have fixed length boards and that they weren't commonly
available.

Did they mention how the lengths got random? It seems a bit of a bizarre
statement for them to make, next time I'm down the yard I'll do a bit of
a survey... maybe I just never noticed this!

Fortunately, no-one told B&Q, who had 3m fixed length boards at half the
price of the timber merchant's random length ones. The wood wasn't even that
bad. I think I've noticed a substantial increase in B&Q wood quality over
the last few years.

Christian.

I have not been shopping for bulk timber for long enough to comment on
what B&Q used to be like (c 3years).

It seems to me the quality is often variable though. If the timber is
loose you can hand pick the good (looking) stuff and leave the crap behind.

I have used B&Q in the past for scant and spent quite some time doing
just that, similar stuff I got from builders merchants and timber yards
hand a few dodgy lengths in but not the 50% I was 'deselecting' at B&Q.

Of course if its Sunday then your choice is made for you ;-)

Alex.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
I think I've noticed a substantial increase in B&Q wood quality over
the last few years.

Does that mean it's now merely poor? ;-)

--
*Would a fly without wings be called a walk?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Christian McArdle

Does that mean it's now merely poor? ;-)

It varies. The stuff is often branded FinnForest now, which seems better
than the B&Q branded stuff.

Christian.

Stuart Noble

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
t...
Does that mean it's now merely poor? ;-)

It varies. The stuff is often branded FinnForest now, which seems better
than the B&Q branded stuff.

Pretty much all Finnish softwood is high quality, them being so far north
and all that.

It has removed 4558 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

Pete C

On Wed, 11 May 2005 11:24:47 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I like to support my local timber merchants rather than big sheds for
timber.

Whilst I'd like to, when I needed a load of floorboards for my conservatory,
the timber merchant would only supply random lengths. The construction of
the floor required full length boards and was just shy of 3m across the
joists, so I only wanted 3m boards (which needed about 50mm cut off each.
When I asked them, they looked at me as though I was mad and said it simply
wasn't possible to have fixed length boards and that they weren't commonly
available.

Fortunately, no-one told B&Q, who had 3m fixed length boards at half the
price of the timber merchant's random length ones. The wood wasn't even that
bad. I think I've noticed a substantial increase in B&Q wood quality over
the last few years.

Hi,

OTOH I've bought 6m 2x4s and 5m decking from a local BM, both of which
were useful lengths to me, so it works both ways.

With local TM/BMs it may be best to ring around and see what lengths
they have in stock, they might even price match B&Q as well as offer
delivery.

cheers,
Pete.