Tim Smith

Default combi boiler thermostat connection

Hi

I think I have a faulty room thermostat connected to our boiler. I have
tried to find where it is connected to the boiler (Vaillant VCW GB240H) but
cant find the connections anywhere.

The insuatlion on the cables is quite distinctive so its easy to distinguish
between that and any other cables. The only cables I can see are the
timeswitch.

Are the timeswitch and thermstat connected together to determine whether the
boiler should come on before the signal goes to the boiler or should there
be separate connections ?

Tim

Set Square

Tim Smith wrote:

Hi

I think I have a faulty room thermostat connected to our boiler. I
have tried to find where it is connected to the boiler (Vaillant VCW
GB240H) but cant find the connections anywhere.

The insuatlion on the cables is quite distinctive so its easy to
distinguish between that and any other cables. The only cables I can
see are the timeswitch.

Are the timeswitch and thermstat connected together to determine
whether the boiler should come on before the signal goes to the
boiler or should there be separate connections ?

Tim

They may well be wired in series - with a single connection to the boiler.
In any event, you would only want the heating to be on when *both* timer
*and* stat are calling for heat.

It is, of course, an ideal application for a programmable thermostat - which
combines a timer and a stat in a single unit.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Tim Smith

Hi,

Thats the idea that Im moving towards, but Id like to know whether the
thermostat I have is faulty or not. Much easier to get the purchase req
signed off by the financial controller if there is a fault to fix !!!

Ill look again and see if I can find the thermostat cable connected to the
timeswtich rather than the boiler but I didnt find it last time I looked.

Thanks for the help,

Tim

"Set Square" wrote in message
Tim Smith wrote:

[...]

John Rumm

Tim Smith wrote:

Are the timeswitch and thermstat connected together to determine whether the
boiler should come on before the signal goes to the boiler or should there
be separate connections ?

They may be joined... depends on how it has been wired. Is is a combi or
is there a hot water cylinder? If the latter the rooms stat may be
paralleled up with the cylinder stat at a junction box somewhere before
coming back to the boiler.

--
Cheers,

John.

Set Square

Tim Smith wrote:

Hi,

Thats the idea that Im moving towards, but Id like to know whether the
thermostat I have is faulty or not. Much easier to get the purchase
req signed off by the financial controller if there is a fault to fix
!!!

Ill look again and see if I can find the thermostat cable connected
to the timeswtich rather than the boiler but I didnt find it last
time I looked.

Thanks for the help,

Tim

You can test the stat by bridging the live and switched live connections.
If the heating works when you do this - but not otherwise - (but with the
timer on, of course) that would indicate a faulty stat.

Another possibility is that the timer is duff - which may also justify
moving to a programmable stat!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Tim Smith wrote:
I think I have a faulty room thermostat connected to our boiler. I have
tried to find where it is connected to the boiler (Vaillant VCW GB240H)
but cant find the connections anywhere.

The insuatlion on the cables is quite distinctive so its easy to
distinguish between that and any other cables. The only cables I can
see are the timeswitch.

Are the timeswitch and thermstat connected together to determine whether
the boiler should come on before the signal goes to the boiler or
should there be separate connections ?

If you have an external pump, the thermostat will usually just switch
that, with the line in being taken from the boiler live - ie after the
programmer.

--
*The most common name in the world is Mohammed *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

raden

In message , Tim Smith
writes
Hi

I think I have a faulty room thermostat connected to our boiler. I have
tried to find where it is connected to the boiler (Vaillant VCW GB240H) but
cant find the connections anywhere.

Off the top of my head, between 3 and 4 on the connector block, but
check, I'm not certain

The insuatlion on the cables is quite distinctive so its easy to distinguish
between that and any other cables. The only cables I can see are the
timeswitch.

That's your only point of external control

Are the timeswitch and thermstat connected together to determine whether the
boiler should come on before the signal goes to the boiler or should there
be separate connections ?

--
geoff

combi boiler - efficiency and cost ARWadsworth UK diy 23 January 4th 05 02:12 PM
Complete new CH or just new boiler ChrisJ UK diy 4 September 15th 04 09:05 PM
Boiler Programmable Thermostat Trips RCD? Rich UK diy 1 September 16th 03 04:23 PM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM
Vaillant Combi Boiler Ed Sirett UK diy 5 July 31st 03 08:52 PM