Kal Kal is offline
Junior Member

Red face Downlight Installation Access

Hi

Can any tell me how, on a new build house, can I get access to the ground floor ceilling from the first floor(bedroom) without lifting off the large chipboard bedroom floor?

I here the best method is to route a large diameter(10in) to get access, but then buy specially made caps to fill the hole in the chipboard. Does anyone know what termonology is used to describe this cap and where I can get them from.

Thank You.
Lobster

Kal wrote:

Can any tell me how, on a new build house, can I get access to the
ground floor ceilling from the first floor(bedroom) without lifting off
the large chipboard bedroom floor?

I here the best method is to route a large diameter(10in) to get
access, but then buy specially made caps to fill the hole in the
chipboard. Does anyone know what termonology is used to describe this
cap and where I can get them from.

This is the cutting tool:
http://tinyurl.com/aczfp or
Note you need pilot drills etc also (as detailed on the above listing)

These are the plugs:
http://tinyurl.com/7vaze or

*Arguably* the best method, yes, but it's not cheapest! I'd look at
lifting boards if I were you.

David
Tim Mitchell

In article , Lobster
writes
Kal wrote:

Can any tell me how, on a new build house, can I get access to the
ground floor ceilling from the first floor(bedroom) without lifting off
the large chipboard bedroom floor?
I here the best method is to route a large diameter(10in) to get
access, but then buy specially made caps to fill the hole in the
chipboard. Does anyone know what termonology is used to describe this
cap and where I can get them from.

This is the cutting tool:
http://tinyurl.com/aczfp or
Note you need pilot drills etc also (as detailed on the above listing)

These are the plugs:
http://tinyurl.com/7vaze or

*Arguably* the best method, yes, but it's not cheapest! I'd look at
lifting boards if I were you.

You can't lift the boards, (if anything like my house) they are 8'x4',
all tightly interlocked and the upstairs walls are built on top.

I have sawn some access hatches using a circular saw with the depth set
very very carefully. If you cut 2 of the sides on top of a joist, you
can just drop the sawn out piece back in and screw it down.

Beware of central heating pipes resting against the underside of the
floor!!
--
Tim Mitchell
John Rumm

Lobster wrote:

I here the best method is to route a large diameter(10in) to get
access, but then buy specially made caps to fill the hole in the
chipboard. Does anyone know what termonology is used to describe this
cap and where I can get them from.

This is the cutting tool:
http://tinyurl.com/aczfp or
Note you need pilot drills etc also (as detailed on the above listing)

I think the OP was talking about something like the routabout:

http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/routabout/

A bit of shopping around can usually find a good deal on the insert rings.

--
Cheers,

John.