Mike

Default Boiler-attic, condensate into vent pipe from soil stack.

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
The boiler is at the moment in the toilet (no bath, small).
As some time in the dim and distant future, I'd like to make this a wet

room,
so having the boiler in would be awkward.

As a new boiler is to be fitted, is there any reason or legislation
(scotland) why moving it to the attic would cause a problem?

The building regs do limit where the flue can go (part J diagram 3.4 in
England) but nothing too restrictive.

Ian Stirling

Mike wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
The boiler is at the moment in the toilet (no bath, small).
As some time in the dim and distant future, I'd like to make this a wet

room,
so having the boiler in would be awkward.

As a new boiler is to be fitted, is there any reason or legislation
(scotland) why moving it to the attic would cause a problem?

The building regs do limit where the flue can go (part J diagram 3.4 in
England) but nothing too restrictive.

I'm fairly sure it's fine. It'd be a couple of meters higher than the
existing one, which is not over a path, or anywhere close to a boundary,
and further from windows/openings than existing ones.
I was more wondering about routing the condensate.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Ian Stirling writes:

I'm fairly sure it's fine. It'd be a couple of meters higher than the
existing one, which is not over a path, or anywhere close to a boundary,
and further from windows/openings than existing ones.
I was more wondering about routing the condensate.

Sounds OK to me. IIRC, mine required 21mm (overflow pipe) indoors,
and 32mm minimum outdoors where it might be subject to freezing.
I guess the loft might get cold even when boiler is on, so you
might want to take precautions. You could probably put 22mm pipe
insulation over the 21mm overflow pipe in the loft. Might want to
keep the length of run to the 110mm soil stack as short as possible,
particulary the outdoor part of it. Condensate is still slightly
warm on mine when it runs into the pipe, so it would probably be
quite difficult to get it to freeze inside the loft area.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Set Square

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

. Might want to
keep the length of run to the 110mm soil stack as short as possible,
particulary the outdoor part of it. Condensate is still slightly
warm on mine when it runs into the pipe, so it would probably be
quite difficult to get it to freeze inside the loft area.

I think it's an *internal* soil stack - so there wouldn't be an outdoor
part.

Presumably the condensate isn't hot enough to damage the plastic soil stack?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Set Square" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

. Might want to
keep the length of run to the 110mm soil stack as short as possible,
particulary the outdoor part of it. Condensate is still slightly
warm on mine when it runs into the pipe, so it would probably be
quite difficult to get it to freeze inside the loft area.

I think it's an *internal* soil stack - so there wouldn't be an outdoor
part.

Oh yes, missed that bit.

Presumably the condensate isn't hot enough to damage the plastic soil stack?

Well, you would expect to be able to pour boiling water down a
soil stack without damaging it, and the condensate doesn't get
that hot. Actually, it probably can't exceed 55C in theory,
although some boiler designs might conceivably be able to heat
it up slightly as an unintended side effect after it's been
condensed out by passing the slightly hotter flue gases over it.
(In the Keston, the flue gas is only 5C hotter than the boiler's
flow temperature, so this is a negligable effect, if you manage
to see it at all.)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Ian Stirling

Set Square wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

. Might want to
keep the length of run to the 110mm soil stack as short as possible,
particulary the outdoor part of it. Condensate is still slightly
warm on mine when it runs into the pipe, so it would probably be
quite difficult to get it to freeze inside the loft area.

I think it's an *internal* soil stack - so there wouldn't be an outdoor
part.

Indeed it is, and the walls are 50cm stone, so it's very unlikely to freeze
in sharp snaps.
Thanks all.
Now, the question remains - will the plumber consent to installing it this
way (it's being done free under the auspices of EAGA)

Why is a vent pipe necessary? Richard Tobin UK diy 23 February 5th 05 12:41 AM
gable vent (bats!) - Attic ventilation Rich Home Repair 9 December 15th 04 04:16 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Another heating problem question! David Hearn UK diy 9 December 12th 03 08:29 PM