Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Graham

Default Damp problem - advice needed!

Hi,

I have a bungalow built in 1950s with a suspended floor and a pitched roof
extension. The extension measures 12ft x 15ft and is heated by a 2ft x
2.5ft single radiator (inadequate, I know). Since moving in 9 months ago, I
have noticed mould growing on curtains / carpet etc particularly in the
extension. The extension is noticably colder than the rest of the bungalow
even though it's directly off the lounge. I pulled the carpet up today and
found that there was white mould (smells mushroom-like) underneath the
underlay on the chipboard flooring - it feels damp. I removed a piece of
the flooring and got a good draught so the air bricks must be Ok. It's just
chipboard flooring - no insulation of any kind. The original part of the
lounge has floorboards and does not feel damp.

What do you reckon - is it a ventilation problem? Should I take up the
chipboard and lay floorboards and hope that improves things? Or does the
floor need insulating - how would I go about doing this? Could condensation
have built up in the chipboard due to inadequate heating?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Graham.

Circuit City ESA Brandname a problem if repair ever needed? jeff Electronics Repair 25 December 16th 04 05:00 AM
Advice Needed: Portable Air Conditioner Royler Home Repair 10 April 20th 04 03:47 PM
Advice needed Neighbours proposed extension Susan Barlow UK diy 16 December 6th 03 09:56 PM
More damp testing woes Kooky45 UK diy 22 October 21st 03 11:33 AM
Advice needed on new basement - sump hole higher than rest ofbasement Mark Leininger Home Ownership 0 September 23rd 03 07:34 PM