DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Worst Tool Abuse / Misuse (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/103726-worst-tool-abuse-misuse.html)

Mary Fisher April 25th 05 08:32 PM

"Ian Johnston" wrote in message
news:cCUlhtvFIYkV-pn2-I4q5wuVg7BNV@localhost...
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:25:21 UTC, wrote:

: Ian Johnston wrote:
:
: That's why I have RA (respiratory analgesia) and not GA (general
: anaesthetic). I do not anaesthetise at all well - my record is five
: syringes of local for one tooth and still not numb.
:
: So what is RA?

Respiratory: breathing
Analgesia: pain killing

They normally give you enough to keep you a bit woozy, but not
unconscious. And even if you are (just) asleep with NO, you can still
feel pain. Not as much, but it's still there.

A bit like gas and airwhich used to be used in childbirth in my time. No
longer. I didn't mind it then but wouldn't want it for dental surgery. My
record for local anaesthetics isn't good, it takes at least half an hour for
one to work for me but it's on my records and is allowed for. I'd still
rather have GA but not RA thanks very much.

Each to his own. We're all different.

Mary

Ian

Mary Fisher April 25th 05 08:33 PM

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message

I had half a tooth break off and didn't do anything about it for
several months because it wasn't painful and I was busy. I
eventually had it repaired and now it's fine - no infection, no need
for root canal or extraction. Don't be so alarmist.

"I smoked 100 a day, and lived to be 140"

Ah yes, but are you still breathing???

Mary

Mary Fisher April 25th 05 08:34 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Mary Fisher wrote:

Oh! I've never thought about a tens for toothache relief, thanks.

I'll try
to remember that.

Mary

applying tens to the head is not advised. The electrical anaesthetic is
fine as long as its applied across a tooth, but apply it across the
whole head by mistake, which is easily done, and you could have some
real problems.

I do kinow that ... :-)

I used a lot more than 1v. Whatever you use it must be current
controlled.

Still worth a go I reckon. not that I want to have the condition to test it

Mary

NT

Rod April 25th 05 09:03 PM

"Ian Johnston" wrote in

: I suppose. I still don't like the idea of not being in control of my
: faculties, though. Or limbs. Etc.

Indeed. But if the choice is that or feeling every twist of the root
canal file ...

Pah! Root canals are nothing!!! (Bravado. I have had a few but luckily they
were not too bad.)

Wisdom teeth under local, now that is fun. Especially when the tooth
shatters and the jawbone is being ground away. But it wasn't bravado that
made me choose that - it was sheer fear of GA. Since a bad gas experience
as a child I have never had a GA, and don't want to. The surgeon did
afterwards admit that he would have preferred to take mine out under GA,
though he had fully supported me in choosing a lcoal atthe consultation.

Thankfully, I will never have them out again.

--
Rod

dmc April 25th 05 09:15 PM

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

A bit like gas and airwhich used to be used in childbirth in my time. No
longer.

Eh? Still in use down here in Kent for childbirth. Midwife wouldn't let me
try it though :(

Darren

raden April 25th 05 09:37 PM

In message cCUlhtvFIYkV-pn2-yHt3WmHxm7y1@localhost, Ian Johnston
writes
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 09:06:09 UTC, (Sam Nelson) wrote:

: Reaching the point of complacency with this sort of business that you can
: actually fall asleep in a dentist's chair during treatment is not necessarily
: a skill you want to acquire.

Find a dentist who uses NO. I look forward to my visits - an hour and
a half of root canal work last week and I was sorry when it was over.
Mind you, the ******* won't give me gas for my check ups, no matter
how much I plead.

I had an injection once, it made me feel like I looked like I was
slobbering all over the place. That was for a crown, never again - I
just tell them to get on and drill away

--
geoff

raden April 25th 05 09:42 PM

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
Derek Geldard writes:
Whatever you put in it'll have to come out in the surgery. Nothing you
have access to is proof against a high speed air rotor turbine handpiece

Last time I went (piece of filling had come out), there was no
drill, but what the dentist called "air abrasion", which is
actually aluminium oxide powder propelled by compressed air.

Oral shot blasting ?

cool trick

--
geoff

raden April 25th 05 09:42 PM

In message , Rob Morley
writes

Whatever you put in it'll have to come out in the surgery. Nothing you
have access to is proof against a high speed air rotor turbine handpiece

I had half a tooth break off and didn't do anything about it for
several months because it wasn't painful and I was busy. I
eventually had it repaired and now it's fine - no infection, no need
for root canal or extraction. Don't be so alarmist.

Well I did break a tooth before (stone in some rice at Jakarta airport)

I left it for several months until I got back to the UK, same
experience, but somewhat silly, as I could have got it done over there
for a fraction of the price it cost in the UK

--
geoff

Bob Eager April 25th 05 09:51 PM

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:32:20 UTC, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

A bit like gas and airwhich used to be used in childbirth in my time. No
longer.

Oh, yes it is.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

Owain April 25th 05 11:30 PM

Rod wrote:
Wisdom teeth under local, now that is fun. Especially when the tooth
shatters and the jawbone is being ground away. But it wasn't bravado that
made me choose that - it was sheer fear of GA. Since a bad gas experience
as a child I have never had a GA, and don't want to.

I used to *like* having gas as a child. Gas and a pulled tooth (and
money from the tooth fairy) was much nicer than scraping and fillings. I
am not sure this is the best possible model of dental care for a child
to get accustomed to, however ;-(

The surgeon did
afterwards admit that he would have preferred to take mine out under GA,
though he had fully supported me in choosing a lcoal atthe consultation.

On the one hand, with a general, the patient knows nothing about it and
it's less traumatic (and he can't hear the dentist swearing); on the
other, the surgeon is under greater pressure to do the job quickly to
minimise the time spent 'under'.

Owain

Mary Fisher April 25th 05 11:45 PM

wrote:

A bit like gas and airwhich used to be used in childbirth in my time. No
longer.

Oh, yes it is.

Good Heavens! I've stirred something up there.

I know that none of my grandchildren's mothers were given it. The oldest was
20 yesterday.

Perhaps The North isn't as far behind as others imagine us to be!

Mary

--
Bob Eager

Bob Eager April 25th 05 11:55 PM

wrote:

A bit like gas and airwhich used to be used in childbirth in my time. No
longer.

Oh, yes it is.

Good Heavens! I've stirred something up there.

I know that none of my grandchildren's mothers were given it. The oldest was
20 yesterday.

It was used at the birth of our 8 year old (I think Darren's SO had hers
more recently).

It's the principal (only?) thing used for that purpose on
ambulances...the cylinder ran out after about 3 contractions and they
had to rush back to the vehicle for another...

Andrew McKay April 26th 05 02:12 AM

Mary Fisher wrote:
A bit like gas and airwhich used to be used in childbirth in my time.

Must admit that when my wife was giving birth I needed the gas & air. It
was kind of interesting with the build-up:

"Are you going to be present at the birth sir?"

"No fear - the conception was bad enough!"

Andrew

--
Please note that the email address used for posting
usenet messages is configured such that my antispam

Andrew McKay April 26th 05 02:13 AM

Bob Eager wrote:
It was used at the birth of our 8 year old

Blimey. I reckon the mum would have needed to be connected to the local
gas main if the child was born at 8 years old! ;)

Andrew

John Rumm April 26th 05 02:19 AM

Mary Fisher wrote:

A bit like gas and airwhich used to be used in childbirth in my time. No
longer. I didn't mind it then but wouldn't want it for dental surgery. My

Certainly used darn sarf... SWMBO got quite attached to it (well you
would after 40 hours of labour!). In the (newish) maternity wing of
Southend General they even have it plumbed into the building so it is
available from a wall outlet beside each bed.

--
Cheers,

John.

Bob Eager April 26th 05 07:52 AM

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 01:13:32 UTC, Andrew McKay
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
It was used at the birth of our 8 year old

Blimey. I reckon the mum would have needed to be connected to the local
gas main if the child was born at 8 years old! ;)

You may laugh - but the birth of our first one was .... protracted. 10lb
5oz, 25 inches..

Andrew McKay April 26th 05 08:19 AM

Bob Eager wrote:
You may laugh - but the birth of our first one was .... protracted. 10lb
5oz, 25 inches..

I certainly wouldn't laugh about it. I have long admitted that if our
species depended upon me going thru childbirth then I'm afraid the
powers that be would have to record another extinction in the record books.

Total respect for the ladies who go thru this exercise. And for many, to
go thru it again and again.

And I moan when I hit my thumb with a hammer....

Andrew

Sam Nelson April 26th 05 09:10 AM

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

"Sam Nelson" wrote in message

A close relative is having a replacement knee-joint this week, and getting
an epidural for it. GAs are best avoided, where possible.

Epidurals aren't foolproof.

I didn't say they are. But there's still a blind assumption that being
knocked out is a simple fix, and it isn't.

Travelling by road is best avoided.

This is also true.
--
SAm. all sweeping generalisations are false

Sam Nelson April 26th 05 09:12 AM

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:
A bit like gas and airwhich used to be used in childbirth in my time. No
longer.

Eh? As far as I'm aware, gas&air is still very much on the childbirth
analgesia menu.
--
SAm. all sweeping generalisations are false

Sam Nelson April 26th 05 09:17 AM

In article ,
Andrew McKay writes:
Bob Eager wrote:
You may laugh - but the birth of our first one was .... protracted. 10lb
5oz, 25 inches..

I certainly wouldn't laugh about it.

Total respect for the ladies who go thru this exercise. And for many, to
go thru it again and again.

I must admit, it beats me why anyone would do that more than once.
--
SAm. all sweeping generalisations are false

doozer April 26th 05 10:52 AM

raden wrote:
In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message

When I was a child we couldn't afford peanuts. Nor more than one hammer
:-(

So, having a sledgehammer to crack a nut was out on both counts then

Yes sigh

show off mode on
However, peanuts aren't nuts, they're a type of bean.
show off mode off

You mean pedant mode and /pedant mode ...

Did they teach you nothing at school ?

I know I shouldn't stick my oar in here but...

If you want your mark up to be valid XML which is what it seems to be
trying to be then you can't have a space between pedant and mode e.g. it
should be

pedant-mode
Some content
/pedant-mode

However from the point of view of making it extensible I would instead
used a tag called pickyness with a level attribute. The legal attribute
values of level of course being constrained by an XML Schema. Giving:

pickyness level="pedant"
More Content
/pickyness

Do I win the most pedantic prize?

--

.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`· Shallow Sea Aquatics .¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·
.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ http://www.shallowsea.com ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`

doozer April 26th 05 11:19 AM

A bit like gas and airwhich used to be used in childbirth in my time. No
longer. I didn't mind it then but wouldn't want it for dental surgery. My
record for local anaesthetics isn't good, it takes at least half an hour for
one to work for me but it's on my records and is allowed for. I'd still
rather have GA but not RA thanks very much.

Each to his own. We're all different.

Mary

I have / had the same problem and it has put me off going to the dentist
for life (probably). In a short space of time I had three different
dentists each one had to do a filling. They gave the me an injection. I
told them it hadn't gone numb. Rinse repeat. Eventually they gave up and
said they couldn't give me any more anaesthetic so they would have to
get on with the filling. I had three fillings with basically no
anaesthetic and it hurt like hell. About an hour after the filling the
whole of my head would go numb.

I then changed dentist again. He could see that I was pretty nervous and
asked what was up. I told him about what had happened and he immediately
knew what was wrong. Apparently there isn't a problem with the amount of
anaesthetic in the first injection it's that the other dentists were
putting it in the wrong place. The reason I was going numb an hour later
was because it was taking that long for the anaesthetic to diffuse to
the nerve. It would seem that the major nerve in some people runs in a
slightly different place. For the injection to be effective immediately
it has to be between the nerve fibre and the sheath. If they inject
outside the sheath it takes a while to diffuse in and deaden the nerve.

I decided to trust my new dentist to get it right. He had a good poke
around with some weird proddy tools, decided he knew where the nerve was
and made one small injection. I was number within 30 seconds and the
work was completely pain free.

--

.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`· Shallow Sea Aquatics .¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·
.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ http://www.shallowsea.com ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`

Mary Fisher April 26th 05 11:36 AM

"doozer" wrote in message
raden wrote:
In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message

[...]

Probably. But I wasn't being pedantic in the first place :-)

Mary

--

.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`· Shallow Sea Aquatics .¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·
.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ http://www.shallowsea.com ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`

Mary Fisher April 26th 05 11:37 AM

"Owain" wrote in message
Rod wrote:
Wisdom teeth under local, now that is fun. Especially when the tooth
shatters and the jawbone is being ground away. But it wasn't bravado that
made me choose that - it was sheer fear of GA. Since a bad gas experience
as a child I have never had a GA, and don't want to.

I used to *like* having gas as a child.

Hurrah! So did I :-)

Spouse hated it, the smell of the rubber mask made him vomit.

Gas and a pulled tooth (and money from the tooth fairy) was much nicer
than scraping and fillings. I am not sure this is the best possible model
of dental care for a child to get accustomed to, however ;-(

No, but things were different In Those Days.

I didn't know you were as old as that!

Mary

Mary Fisher April 26th 05 11:42 AM

"Bob Eager" wrote in message news:176uZD2KcidF-pn2-

It's the principal (only?) thing used for that purpose on
ambulances...the cylinder ran out after about 3 contractions and they
had to rush back to the vehicle for another...

My third (you don't really want to know this so stop reading now) was born
in the hospital bathroom because there was no room at the inn ... sorry, in
the labour wards. Women were being delivered on trolleys in the corridor and
I was left alone with cylinders and mask. The gases ran out but sucking on
the mask gave me something to do. The nurse rushed in when my waters broke,
they heard the explosion outside. She told me not to let the baby out, they
hadn't scrubbed up; it was an odd feeling, sucking it back up. As soon as I
was allowed to push I only needed two, head, body and placenta came out, all
in a big rush. Then the child urinated on me.

Mary
--
Bob Eager

Mary Fisher April 26th 05 11:42 AM

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message
Bob Eager wrote:
It was used at the birth of our 8 year old

Blimey. I reckon the mum would have needed to be connected to the local
gas main if the child was born at 8 years old! ;)

Wish I'd spotted that!

Mary

Andrew

Mary Fisher April 26th 05 11:44 AM

wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
It was used at the birth of our 8 year old

Blimey. I reckon the mum would have needed to be connected to the local
gas main if the child was born at 8 years old! ;)

You may laugh - but the birth of our first one was .... protracted. 10lb
5oz, 25 inches..

I started at 8 1/2 lbs, the fifth was almost 12lbs. Each was easier than the
previous one.

Mary

--
Bob Eager

Mary Fisher April 26th 05 11:47 AM

Bob Eager wrote:
You may laugh - but the birth of our first one was .... protracted. 10lb
5oz, 25 inches..

I certainly wouldn't laugh about it. I have long admitted that if our
species depended upon me going thru childbirth then I'm afraid the powers
that be would have to record another extinction in the record books.

Total respect for the ladies who go thru this exercise. And for many, to
go thru it again and again.

Well, we don't all choose to. I didn't want any. But lust is a powerful
urge. After five in seven years Spouse had the chop - privately because it
wasn't done on the NHS. We never paid though, I suspect that the surgeon
felt sorry for us, having seen a row of wet, muddy, miserable looking
'staircase' children on a snowy/muddy January morning. There were six, one
was a Pakistani foster child so she just might have tipped the balance ...

And I moan when I hit my thumb with a hammer....

I don't moan. I yell and have been known to say Oh Dear or even Heckythump.

Mary

Andrew

Mary Fisher April 26th 05 11:48 AM

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message

Must admit that when my wife was giving birth I needed the gas & air. It
was kind of interesting with the build-up:

"Are you going to be present at the birth sir?"

"No fear - the conception was bad enough!"

Peter Tiniswood, Tales from a Long Room.

Mary

Mary Fisher April 26th 05 11:50 AM

"doozer" wrote in message
[...]

So you weren't put off going to the dentist for life!

Mary

--

.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`· Shallow Sea Aquatics .¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·
.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ http://www.shallowsea.com ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`

doozer April 26th 05 12:10 PM

Mary Fisher wrote:
"doozer" wrote in message

[...]

I really needed to go then. I haven't been since though (about 5 years).
What I do is make sure that I keep things nice a clean so there is less
chance of ever needing to go. Not sure it's working though :o(

--

.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`· Shallow Sea Aquatics .¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·
.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ http://www.shallowsea.com ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`

The Natural Philosopher April 26th 05 01:46 PM

doozer wrote:

[...]

I had a similar experience.

Andrew McKay April 26th 05 02:13 PM

Mary Fisher wrote:
Well, we don't all choose to. I didn't want any. But lust is a powerful
urge. After five in seven years Spouse had the chop

Err, one I can understand. Two someone made a cockup (? Hmm!). Three and
beyond.....

Andrew

Andrew McKay April 26th 05 02:15 PM

Mary Fisher wrote:
My third (you don't really want to know this so stop reading now) was born
in the hospital bathroom because there was no room at the inn ... sorry, in
the labour wards. Women were being delivered on trolleys in the corridor and
I was left alone with cylinders and mask. The gases ran out but sucking on
the mask gave me something to do. The nurse rushed in when my waters broke,
they heard the explosion outside. She told me not to let the baby out, they
hadn't scrubbed up; it was an odd feeling, sucking it back up. As soon as I
was allowed to push I only needed two, head, body and placenta came out, all
in a big rush. Then the child urinated on me.

My knowledge level really does increase when I read the uk.d-i-y
newsgroup :)

Andrew

dmc April 26th 05 02:38 PM

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

Spouse hated it, the smell of the rubber mask made him vomit.

They have cured this by giving the option of a small mouth piece made of
plastic. Much like the mouth piece a diver uses. At least, that was the
option my wife was offered last year.

Darren

Mary Fisher April 26th 05 04:47 PM

"dmc" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

Spouse hated it, the smell of the rubber mask made him vomit.

They have cured this by giving the option of a small mouth piece made of
plastic. Much like the mouth piece a diver uses. At least, that was the
option my wife was offered last year.

I now can't bear anything like that in my mouth. Those horrid 'dams' they
used to use in dentistry made me retch

Mary

Darren

Sam Nelson April 26th 05 05:12 PM

In article ,
Andrew McKay writes:
Mary Fisher wrote:
Well, we don't all choose to. I didn't want any. But lust is a powerful
urge. After five in seven years Spouse had the chop

Err, one I can understand. Two someone made a cockup (? Hmm!). Three and
beyond.....

I went to the vet's when #2 was 11 days old. 10 years ago. Smartest thing
I ever did.

ObDIY: no, I didn't even consider doing that for myself, although I hear
there are cases of it in the literature.
--
SAm. all sweeping generalisations are false

Sam Nelson April 26th 05 05:13 PM

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

"dmc" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

Spouse hated it, the smell of the rubber mask made him vomit.

They have cured this by giving the option of a small mouth piece made of
plastic. Much like the mouth piece a diver uses. At least, that was the
option my wife was offered last year.

I now can't bear anything like that in my mouth. Those horrid 'dams' they
used to use in dentistry made me retch

Preferable to a gutful of iodine potassium iodide, I reckon.
--
SAm. all sweeping generalisations are false

Owain April 26th 05 09:55 PM

John Rumm wrote:
... In the (newish) maternity wing of
Southend General they even have it plumbed into the building so it is
available from a wall outlet beside each bed.

Does it cost extra, like television?

Owain