nthng2snet

Default diy banter

i think this might have been posted befor but this and other news
groups are appearing an a comercial website. www.diybanter.com. Its
seems a bit cheekey to bypass news groups rules and poach newsgroups
to sustain an indepedant site with commercial advertiseing.Am I wrong
on this?
John Rumm

nthng2snet wrote:

i think this might have been posted befor but this and other news
groups are appearing an a comercial website. www.diybanter.com. Its
seems a bit cheekey to bypass news groups rules and poach newsgroups
to sustain an indepedant site with commercial advertiseing.Am I wrong
on this?

Don't know.... do you mind google doing it?

It probably is a little cheeky, but then again it adds an alternate
access method that may be useful for some.

--
Cheers,

John.

Mike

"John Rumm" wrote in message
nthng2snet wrote:

i think this might have been posted befor but this and other news
groups are appearing an a comercial website. www.diybanter.com. Its
seems a bit cheekey to bypass news groups rules and poach newsgroups
to sustain an indepedant site with commercial advertiseing.Am I wrong
on this?

Don't know.... do you mind google doing it?

If you do you can set to no archive. But these smaller web sites seem to
ignore this.

fred

In article ,
John Rumm writes
nthng2snet wrote:

i think this might have been posted befor but this and other news
groups are appearing an a comercial website. www.diybanter.com. Its
seems a bit cheekey to bypass news groups rules and poach newsgroups
to sustain an indepedant site with commercial advertiseing.Am I wrong
on this?

Don't know.... do you mind google doing it?

It probably is a little cheeky, but then again it adds an alternate
access method that may be useful for some.

Yeah, but the broken threads are a PITA, hence I kill everything with
diybanter in the message id or ref. At least some google posters know how
to post without breaking threads.
--
fred
John Rumm

Mike wrote:

If you do you can set to no archive. But these smaller web sites seem to
ignore this.

They quite often don't archive for long either though - once the message
has scrolled off its cache its gone. That is not really any different
from standard ISP newsfeeds (which also ignore "no archive").

With google it is there for good unless you tell it otherwise.

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Stanton

Hear Hear
raden

In message , nthng2snet
writes
i think this might have been posted befor but this and other news
groups are appearing an a comercial website. www.diybanter.com. Its
seems a bit cheekey to bypass news groups rules and poach newsgroups
to sustain an indepedant site with commercial advertiseing.Am I wrong
on this?

Time to start putting copyright notices at the end of postings again ?

--
geoff
Guy Dawson

nthng2snet wrote:
i think this might have been posted befor but this and other news
groups are appearing an a comercial website. www.diybanter.com. Its
seems a bit cheekey to bypass news groups rules and poach newsgroups
to sustain an indepedant site with commercial advertiseing.Am I wrong
on this?

A poster has copyright control of their posts. If you wanted you could
put a copyright notice on your posts stating who can and cannot copy or
reproduce your posting.

Guy
-- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy Dawson @ SMTP - // ICBM - 6.15.16W 57.12.23N 986M
4.45.4 4.45.4 4.45.4 The Reality Check's in the Post! 4.45.4 4.45.4
Bob Eager

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:33:15 UTC, raden wrote:

In message , nthng2snet
writes
i think this might have been posted befor but this and other news
groups are appearing an a comercial website. www.diybanter.com. Its
seems a bit cheekey to bypass news groups rules and poach newsgroups
to sustain an indepedant site with commercial advertiseing.Am I wrong
on this?

Time to start putting copyright notices at the end of postings again ?

Like this?

http://www.diybanter.com
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
fred writes:
In article ,
John Rumm writes
nthng2snet wrote:

i think this might have been posted befor but this and other news
groups are appearing an a comercial website. www.diybanter.com. Its
seems a bit cheekey to bypass news groups rules and poach newsgroups
to sustain an indepedant site with commercial advertiseing.Am I wrong
on this?

Don't know.... do you mind google doing it?

It probably is a little cheeky, but then again it adds an alternate
access method that may be useful for some.

Yeah, but the broken threads are a PITA, hence I kill everything with
diybanter in the message id or ref. At least some google posters know how
to post without breaking threads.

I don't see any broken threads due to diybanter.com
at the moment.

I just went and had a look at diybanter.com, and it
seems to be explaining quite clearly what it's doing
and how it links to the usenet newsgroups:
http://www.diybanter.com/showthread.php?t=59112
A pointer to the FAQ would be good to add though.
I can't see any harm at the moment. If it started to
become a source of noise or other abuse and the admin
didn't respond to reports, then it would clearly be
appropriate to take action.

--
Andrew Gabriel

raden

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:33:15 UTC, raden wrote:

In message , nthng2snet
writes
i think this might have been posted befor but this and other news
groups are appearing an a comercial website. www.diybanter.com. Its
seems a bit cheekey to bypass news groups rules and poach newsgroups
to sustain an indepedant site with commercial advertiseing.Am I wrong
on this?

Time to start putting copyright notices at the end of postings again ?

Like this?

http://www.diybanter.com

Something like that

Let's wait and see as Andrew says

--
geoff
chris French

In message , raden
writes
In message , nthng2snet
writes
i think this might have been posted befor but this and other news
groups are appearing an a comercial website. www.diybanter.com. Its
seems a bit cheekey to bypass news groups rules and poach newsgroups
to sustain an indepedant site with commercial advertiseing.Am I wrong
on this?

Time to start putting copyright notices at the end of postings again ?

TBH, I really can be bothered to worry about this.

however I assume this is run by the same outfit that runs the
gardenbanter forums (which use uk.rec.gardening in the same way)

According to recent thread, they do now respect the X-no-archive header
--
Chris French, Leeds
chris French

In message , chris French
writes

TBH, I really can be bothered to worry about this.

Should be - can't
--
Chris French, Leeds