David Hearn

Default Washing machine repair and possible recommended manufacturers

Two problems with out Indesit WG1234T washing machine. Firstly the washer
has been sticking on the final step of a programme - the fabric conditioner
part. It seems to just be feeding water in, whilst pumping it out for
hours. Clicking the programme onto the next position it does a spin etc and
then finishes normally. This doesn't always happens, and it can often just
wash normally without a problem.

What might be the cause of this? I have noticed that the sump pump mount is
broken (although I know this has been like this for 2+ years, and suspect
was like it from delivery) and consequently the pump just rests on the
ground (about 1" lower than it would normally be, but slightly tilted).
Would the pump have a water level switch in it, which if tilted may affect
the level such that it keeps pumping etc and not telling the programmer that
the drum is empty? If so, making a new mount for it could solve the
problem.

The other problem is that more recently than problem 1, the machine has been
making grinding noises. It may run fine for a full cycle with no strange
sounds, but sometimes it'll start grinding and scratching noises. Whenever
we rotate the drum now by hand, it sounds grindy - but still may not make
any noise when actually washing etc. Could this be the bearings? If so,
how expensive are they to buy, and how much trouble are they to replace?
Generally okay, or a right pain sometimes? I'm okay to give most things a
go (repaired a burnt out motor controller for it a while back, see
archive) - but I'd prefer not to get into a job which could take too
long/get difficult. Any idea what an engineer would cost to do the repair?

One final thing - what is a good make of washing machine these days? From
what I've read on here, Indesit doesn't sound very good, and in the 4.5
years we've had the washer, we've had it DOA with broken washer drawer
(leaked everything onto floor first time we used it), burnt out motor
controller after 3.5 years, and now, possibly bearings + something else
(lets hope just pump tilt). I was wondering about Bosch or Zanussi - are
there any other reliable and good manufacturers now?

Thanks

David

Richard Faulkner

In message , David Hearn
writes
The other problem is that more recently than problem 1, the machine has
been making grinding noises. It may run fine for a full cycle with no
strange sounds, but sometimes it'll start grinding and scratching
noises. Whenever we rotate the drum now by hand, it sounds grindy - but
still may not make any noise when actually washing etc. Could this be
the bearings? If so, how expensive are they to buy, and how much
trouble are they to replace?

Not sure what you mean by grinding but a washing machine repair guy once
told me that he usually removed a bra underwire to cure unusual noises.

--
Richard Faulkner

David Hearn wrote:

Two problems with out Indesit WG1234T washing machine. Firstly the

washer
has been sticking on the final step of a programme - the fabric

conditioner
part. It seems to just be feeding water in, whilst pumping it out

for
hours. Clicking the programme onto the next position it does a spin

etc and
then finishes normally. This doesn't always happens, and it can

often just
wash normally without a problem.

What might be the cause of this?

the programmer

I have noticed that the sump pump mount is
broken (although I know this has been like this for 2+ years, and

suspect
was like it from delivery) and consequently the pump just rests on

the
ground (about 1" lower than it would normally be, but slightly

tilted).
Would the pump have a water level switch in it, which if tilted may

affect
the level such that it keeps pumping etc and not telling the

programmer that
the drum is empty?

no, its done by fixed timing, hence its the programmer. Theres no
no-water sensor.

If so, making a new mount for it could solve the
problem.

The other problem is that more recently than problem 1, the machine

has been
making grinding noises. It may run fine for a full cycle with no

strange
sounds, but sometimes it'll start grinding and scratching noises.

Whenever
we rotate the drum now by hand, it sounds grindy - but still may not

make
any noise when actually washing etc. Could this be the bearings?

more likely something stuck between drum and outer tub. If it runs ok
though its not the biggest of problems.

One final thing - what is a good make of washing machine these days?

From
what I've read on here, Indesit doesn't sound very good,

no. try:

http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/diy-repair-support.html

NT

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 10:49:26 +0100, Richard Faulkner
wrote:

Not sure what you mean by grinding but a washing machine repair guy once
told me that he usually removed a bra underwire to cure unusual noises.

New tiny 5p pieces are another favourite.

Andrew McKay

wrote:

Not sure what you mean by grinding but a washing machine repair guy once
told me that he usually removed a bra underwire to cure unusual noises.

What was he doing wearing a bra underwire, or shouldn't I ask?

Andrew

Please note that the email address used for posting
usenet messages is configured such that my antispam
filter will automatically update itself so that the
senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do
need to contact me please visit my web site and
submit an enquiry - http://www.kazmax.co.uk