David Shepherd

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 18:09:58 +0100, AlexW
wrote:

Any one else care to share some bodges found?

A few years ago, my then partner had a faulty dimmer switch which I
offered to replace. She didn't know where the Cu was, but the meter
was in the playroom (converted by the previous owner from a garage).
Playroom had wood panelled walls and the meter was behind a door in
the panelling. Meter tails disappeared behind the panelling. I removed
some of the panelling to find the tails connected to find now Cu - all
the circuits were connected direct to the tails with connecting
blocks.
Best part was that the previous owner had told her he was an
electrician!

Dave
David Shepherd

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 22:43:12 GMT, David Shepherd
wrote:

oops..

I removed
some of the panelling to find the tails connected to find now Cu - all
the circuits were connected direct to the tails with connecting
blocks.

should read ....I removed some of the panelling to find no CU - all
the circuits were connected direct to the tails with connecting
blocks.
Doctor Evil

"raden" wrote in message
In message , AlexW
writes

Any one else care to share some bodges found?

How about my brother's house ?

the cooker was connected to the gas pipe with a length of garden hose

Maxie, how else are you going to cook in the garden?

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Doctor Evil

"John Rumm" wrote in message
AlexW wrote:

Any one else care to share some bodges found?

Yup, a friend of mine was tasked to fit a new bathroom for one of his
customers. The owner also wanted to know why the existing shower area
was always damp.

So after demolishing the existing shower (tiled dry lining), it revealed
rather damp walls behind. This was technically speaking in a basement
but, on a section at the front of the house that was fully exposed
rather than underground. So it was not penetrating dampness.

The first good one was where whoever had built it had simply rendered
over a lead pipe with a gate valve on the end. It turns out the valve
valve was dripping slowly and hence soaking the wall. (I helped him
trace the pipe and found it hidden in a ceiling connected to the
incoming water main!).

The other nice one was the previous builder had fitted an extrator fan
in the shower. It was mounted on the dry lining, and ducted through the
inner course of brickwork. But there was no matching hole in the outer
course - so it was simply filling the wall cavity with wet air!

(If you want an example of dodgy electrics, find the thread above about
Dr. Drivels garrage CU ;-)

Being in Essex, the bodgers paradise, you know about electrics. It is in
your blood to bodge.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Doctor Evil

"raden" wrote in message
In message , John
Rumm writes
AlexW wrote:

Any one else care to share some bodges found?

(If you want an example of dodgy electrics, find the thread above about
Dr. Drivels garrage CU ;-)

Or, in fact, any of his posts where his reply is other than "snip
drivel"

Maxie, do you bodge your frocks? I hope not. What colours do you wear?

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , wounded horse
wrote:

Not sure whats wrong with putting another stopcock in line with the seized
one.

But then you post upside down and don't trim to context.

QED

** Would you like to learn to post effectively? **
** http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post **

doozer

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Capitol" wrote in message

The big lead overflow pipe on our bath had been hammered together so that no
water could flow through it.

It was no problem until someone left a bath tap running and water went over
the wall side of the bath, down the wall and down the kitchen wall too.

Still, the kitchen walls needed cleaning and painting ...

Mary

We had exactly this situation as well. I can't say it was a pleasant job
to remove it either; 20+ years of very smelly gunk came out of it.

In my previous house the owner had installed a 2 kw heater in the
conservatory. As there was not socket he had dropped a feed down from
the lighting circuit. I only found out when I plugged in my rcd in
order to use the lawn mower and it kept tripping. This was because the
lighting circuit had no earth. I am assuming he didn't use the heater
very often, or maybe he just put in a larger fuse!

He also built a retaining wall, 6 feet high from a single skin of
bricks, not tied in to anything and with no drain holes. Unsurprisingly
this had started cracking and bowing and I was able to knock it down
with a kick.

He also built an arch of single bricks by the side entrance. This was
not tied into the house wall, but was just sort of wedged against it.
It had cracked and I thought it unsafe, so when investigating it gave
it a little rocking and it fell down onto the path below causing a
massive crack in the concrete.

There were numerous other bodges, but these were the 3 most serious,
all of which could easily have led to death or serious injury.

So although new building regulations (such as Part P) are annoying, I
can see the point. Not sure whether they will deter people like this
though.

Mary Fisher

"doozer" wrote in message
The big lead overflow pipe on our bath had been hammered together so that
no water could flow through it.

It was no problem until someone left a bath tap running and water went
over the wall side of the bath, down the wall and down the kitchen wall
too.

Still, the kitchen walls needed cleaning and painting ...

Mary

We had exactly this situation as well. I can't say it was a pleasant job
to remove it either; 20+ years of very smelly gunk came out of it.

I wouldn't know. I was too big to get into the space to do it.

Well, that was my story and I'm sticking to it!

Mary

Andrew McKay

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:11:54 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Yup. Its like speed cameras. Gets all the basically law abiding
motorissts with licences, taxed and insured and traceable vehicles, and
fails to get the odd hooligan in a stolen car wih no licence, insurance
or MOT....who represent a far far greater risk.

Good analysis. It's the same with the congestion charge in London I
imagine. Honest people get penalised, those who habitually break the
law.....

Andrew

Please note that the email address used for posting
usenet messages is configured such that my antispam
filter will automatically update itself so that the
senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do
need to contact me please visit my web site and
submit an enquiry - http://www.kazmax.co.uk