Junior Member

Default Boost mains water pressure?

I have a 25mm blue plastic pipe from the mains, but the water pressure is very poor. I was thinking of installing a break tank and booster pump (http://www.arrowvalves.co.uk/productdetail.php?id=6).

The idea then is that I could replace my Worcester 24i combi with a Ferroli, Worcester, Glow Worm or Baxi condenser (as these have flow rates at 35 C of between 14-16 l/min) - advice on bolier choice would also be helpful!

Hopefully I could then run a bath in less than 15 minutes, have a mixer shower with decent pressure in the winter, have enough pressure for a greenhouse auto watering thingy and also water the garden with a sprinkler that covers a reasonable area... although not all at the same time!!

Does anyone have any experience of these booster pumps? Are they all they're cracked up to be? Are these boilers up to the job of giving me a decent shower? The water board are coming out to investigate, but I fear there is nothing they can do?

Thanks

Alan
Andrew Mawson

--
Fuoleum

Presumably you cannot get a greater flow out of this beast on average
than can flow into it's header tank using your existing mains pressure
at ground level, so your only advantage is if you need to raise the
water to some height that the mains pressure isn't enough for. With
the header tank and (one assumes) float valve in the way the pump
cannot 'suck' from the main.

AWEM

Pete C

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 00:04:05 +0100, Fuoleum
wrote:

[...]

Hi,

Well worth finding out what the maximum/minimum 'open flow' there is
at the mains inlet, and that it's not impeded by the stopcock in any
way.

cheers,
Pete.
Magician

Presumably you cannot get a greater flow out of this beast on
average
than can flow into it's header tank using your existing mains pressure

I've installed several of the Machine Mart booster pumps to supply high
volume pressure washers.

On this unit you have a 24 litre vessel and an 18 litre tank, total
capacity 42 litres.

If your boiler needs 14 litres/min and your mains flow is only 12
litres/min for example, you are short by 2 litres/min, so the pump
would only give you 21 mins of uninterrupted perfect flow.

If you fit a Machine Mart type booster (no header tank) to a large loft
based tank of say 200 litres you have a lot more leeway.

Dave

Dave

Doctor Evil

"Magician" wrote in message
ups.com...
Presumably you cannot get a greater flow out of this beast on

average
than can flow into it's header tank using your existing mains pressure

I've installed several of the Machine Mart booster pumps to supply high
volume pressure washers.

On this unit you have a 24 litre vessel and an 18 litre tank, total
capacity 42 litres.

If your boiler needs 14 litres/min and your mains flow is only 12
litres/min for example, you are short by 2 litres/min, so the pump
would only give you 21 mins of uninterrupted perfect flow.

If you fit a Machine Mart type booster (no header tank) to a large loft
based tank of say 200 litres you have a lot more leeway.

If you fit a 200 litre cold water tank in the loft, you are back to a normal
gravity system using a hot water cylinder and then use a normal power shower
pump as that is the only tap you will need hot water. The mains supply
should be OK for a hose pipe.

If a cold water tank in the loft is out of the question then fit an
accumulator.
http://www.rcmgroup.co.uk/stainless_...ster/index.htm
http://www.gah.co.uk/

These operate on mains pressure, storing the cold water at pressure. Hot
and cold are equally balanced and only non-thermostatic shower mixers are
required. If the mains fails they still operate.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download