Default Source For 4X6 8 Ohm Speakers?

This should be a simple one for you guys as many things past and
present use 8 Ohm speakers but the answer has been a bit allusive to
me.

The Ford Mustangs from the '60s used 4X6 8 Ohm door speakers for their
better radio offerings (AM/8 Track and AM/FM). These rare options have
become expensive and after sending them out for repair the owners have
a sizable chunk of change invested in them. Nobody sells 4X6 8 Ohm car
speakers anymore. Everything is 4 Ohms. The series resistor and
series speaker have been discussed and why just using a 4 Ohm speaker
is a bad idea as well.

It seems they don't care if it sounds great (the originals probably
didn't) so what's needed is any generic 4X6 8 Ohm speaker that can
handle about 15 Watts. I checked Mouser and Newark and they don't have
that size. Anyone have a source?

Someone else checked the car speaker guys and with no requirements on
sound quality I figured one of the electronics suppliers would have a
good cheap solution.

Thanks

James Sweet

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Does it have to be 4x6, or could you just make an adapter plate to put a
more common size 8 ohm speaker in it's place?

none

On 15 Mar 2005 06:46:17 -0800, "
wrote:

[...]

Try asking around at some of these links:

http://www.audioweb.com/Forum/Default.asp
http://www.magnepan.com/1-800-474-1646/index.html
http://www.speakermania.com/speak/index.html
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/discuss.cgi?
http://f16.parsimony.net/forum27133/index.htm
http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl
http://www.speakerbuilding.com/
http://www.speakerworks.net/
http://www.madisound.com/
http://www.speakercity.com/
http://www.AudioAsylum.com/audio/speakers/bbs.html

If you have the original 4x6 baskets it wouldn't be to hard to
recone/recoil them, or have a service do it.
While some charge a hefty price there are a few services that do it at
a reasonably low rate.

there is also a device, a variable tranformer that'll let you change
the load from 4 to 8. Called an autotransformer I believe.
Madisound used to sell them and I believe parts express does as well.

www.partsexpress.com

another low cost option is to simply adapt a 6inch speaker to the
hole.
A little 3/8 plywood, some felt and a few bolts. you can even use the
original 4x6 grill cover to mask the mod.