Default joint replacement

For several years now I have been having trouble with my left knee.
It's swollen and painful. The doc tells me all the cartilage is gone in
between the bones. Until the last few months I could get around pretty
well once I got moving. Now it's painful most of the time and I find
that I get too tired of dealing with the pain to work in my shop more
than 1-1/2 hrs at a time. I'm scheduled to go in for a metal joint
replacement on Jan 18.
The doc has only given me vague info about this. He says I'll be able
to walk the next day but no climbing stairs.
My shop is in a building about 200 ft away and down 7 steps.(no
wheelchair acess).
I'm wondering if any of you have gone through with this and any ideas
about how long I'll be laid up?
Engineman1

Randy Zimmerman

My Mother in her eighties had one knee replaced just before Christmas. She
had the operation Monday and was home Thursday. Before they let her go home
she had to climb stairs. She is now off the walker and just using a cane to
steady herself. She is still getting regular physio and doing daily
exercises on her own.
They had her use a cold cuff around the knee. It is like a water bottle
only you feed ice water into it from an insulated container. It keeps the
swelling down.
I had a foreman who had both knees done. Before he had trouble climbing
scaffold stairs... Not afterward though.
Randy
wrote in message
oups.com...
For several years now I have been having trouble with my left knee.
It's swollen and painful. The doc tells me all the cartilage is gone in
between the bones. Until the last few months I could get around pretty
well once I got moving. Now it's painful most of the time and I find
that I get too tired of dealing with the pain to work in my shop more
than 1-1/2 hrs at a time. I'm scheduled to go in for a metal joint
replacement on Jan 18.
The doc has only given me vague info about this. He says I'll be able
to walk the next day but no climbing stairs.
My shop is in a building about 200 ft away and down 7 steps.(no
wheelchair acess).
I'm wondering if any of you have gone through with this and any ideas
about how long I'll be laid up?
Engineman1

Roger Shoaf

wrote in message
oups.com...
For several years now I have been having trouble with my left knee.
It's swollen and painful. The doc tells me all the cartilage is gone in
between the bones. Until the last few months I could get around pretty
well once I got moving. Now it's painful most of the time and I find
that I get too tired of dealing with the pain to work in my shop more
than 1-1/2 hrs at a time. I'm scheduled to go in for a metal joint
replacement on Jan 18.
The doc has only given me vague info about this. He says I'll be able
to walk the next day but no climbing stairs.
My shop is in a building about 200 ft away and down 7 steps.(no
wheelchair acess).
I'm wondering if any of you have gone through with this and any ideas
about how long I'll be laid up?
Engineman1

It probably depends on the person, but my stepmother had this done and two
weeks later she and my dad were dancing on a cruise ship. I suspect that
since it's only 7 steps it won't be too long before you are back in the
shop.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Leo Lichtman

"RoyJ" (clip) He says I'll be able to walk the next day but no climbing
stairs. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I guess knees are different from hips. I had my right hip done a little
over a year ago, and I was out of the hospital in four days, and climbed a
flight of stairs (with crutches) to get into the house. It is done by using
the good leg to do the weight bearing and lifting. I don't see why a knee
would be that much different, unless it has to do with range of motion. I
would certainly do what the doctors say. I have been told that knee surgery
recovery is more rapid than hip, but the therapy to full recovery is longer
and more painful.

So far, I have never met anyone who has been disappointed with either kind.
They usually say, "I only wish I had done it sooner."

Metal content: My surgeon gave me the ball part of the hip joint, and I
made him a cane, using it as the head. He uses it as a pointer when he
lectures other doctors on the process, and I guess it's good for a laugh.

Phants

wrote in message
oups.com...
For several years now I have been having trouble with my left knee.
It's swollen and painful. The doc tells me all the cartilage is gone

in
between the bones. Until the last few months I could get around pretty
well once I got moving. Now it's painful most of the time and I find
that I get too tired of dealing with the pain to work in my shop more
than 1-1/2 hrs at a time. I'm scheduled to go in for a metal joint
replacement on Jan 18.
The doc has only given me vague info about this. He says I'll be able
to walk the next day but no climbing stairs.
My shop is in a building about 200 ft away and down 7 steps.(no
wheelchair acess).
I'm wondering if any of you have gone through with this and any ideas
about how long I'll be laid up?
Engineman1

A close friend had both knees done about ten years ago. They were redone
about a year ago... He loves them... lost the pain and gained the
mobility...

I had a hip pinned with three six-inch screws when I broke it. They are
surgical stainless steel, and do not set off the airport metal
detectors... I tried and actually leaned my hip against the frame as
well as walking through.

I asked the doctor that removed them if I could have them, and after
they went through cleaning, they gave them to me. They are hollow with a
flat topped thread and quite unusual looking. I originally thought it
might be worth making a .170 caliber pistol or a pellet gun but the hole
would have to be reamed up some and the wall thickness would not be
enough.
JHbs

Randy H.

My mom (87) has had 3 hip replacements and both knees. My two older brothers
have both had a hip and knee replacements. (60 & 65 years old) One did both
knees at once when he was 55, and he recommends it). I am patently waiting
my turn ( as I sit here rubbing my knee! )

They make you walk the next day. You will spends hours on a stretching
machine the first few days.

If you do one at a time you should be able to manage stairs with crutches.
But it still can be scary.

While still on crutches from her third hip, my mom fell trying to make her
bed. She broke her leg and arm going down. Even though she had live in
helper, she was to proud to ask for help.

Don't let pride, ego, or deadlines make you attempt something that you may
not be ready for. Listen to your doc's advise.

In all cases, everyone was sorry they waited so long. They went through a
lot of suffering they didn't have to. But I can't relate, It's going take a
lot more pain before I beg them cut my knees off. However, I know it's
coming soon....DAMN IT

Good luck, and take it easy,

Randy

"Anthony" wrote in message
wrote in news:1105147472.636355.160030
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Both at once?

Engineman1

Yes, both knees the same day.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

SteveB

My, my. What one can find in a newsgroup. I love it.

I am getting ready to consult with my doctor about dysbaric osteonecritis in
my hips. (Look that up in your Funk & Google ...) I was dreading it, but
now, it doesn't seem such a hill to climb.

I had major heart reconstructive surgery two and a half years ago. (CABG X
5, AVR)* I was dreading it, but was only off work three months. A shoulder
surgery kept me out two years previously. It is amazing what can be done
now with hearts, hips, and knees. And with a high 90s degree of success.

If metal would just cooperate as well as flesh ..........

Steve

* Coronary Artery Bypass Graft of 5 arteries, Aortic Valve Replacement

Don Foreman

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 21:26:29 -0800, "Randy H."
wrote:

My mom (87) has had 3 hip replacements and both knees.

My good friend Bernie had two hip joints replaced.

Bern had a deburring business. They deburred everything from
snowmobile skids to heart valve parts -- including the stainless steel
hip joint devices. When the surgeon came around to see how he was
doing, Bern said, "oh, I'm doing fine -- but I found this thing under
the covers, what the hell is it?" and showed the doc a hip joint
device he'd brought or had someone bring from his shop.

Life is far too short to be taken seriously!
Martin H. Eastburn

Anthony wrote:

wrote in news:1105140045.899072.152000
:

[...]

Personally, I haven't yet, although it is in my future also it seems.

do have a co-worker who had this done year before last, in both

knees.

Both at once?

Engineman1

We have friends in So. Ca. that the husband was a coach. His knees went out
a long time ago and fix after fix - finally do both the right way...
He figured, well if I'm laid up for xx days - might be just one set.

I think he was a glutton also - and had a fix in a wrist done at the same time.
Tough guy for sure. Now he and his wife are retired in the snow way down south!

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

NRA LOH, NRA Life

Don Foreman

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 00:37:24 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

My good friend Bernie had two hip joints replaced.

Forgot to mention that all turned out well. He was back to
speed-skating at Aldrich Arena before long. When he checked out it
was sudden lights-out while riding his pretty-fast sled (snowmobile)
about 100 miles north of the Canadian border. Riding a fast sled
thru frozen wilderness ain't quite like riding an eldercare scooter.
It can be one hell of a ride. He went out with a wind-smeared grin.

I'm not a sledder but I rode one of Bern's sleds, him en pointe on his
sled while he was checking me out as suitor for his daughter. Oh
Son, that was one hell of a ride! Character check: he punched his
sled and shot out of sight while going downhill on an approach to a
frozen lake. He knew the terrain, I didn't, thought that being
tossed into a tree would not be cool so I carefully crept that
terrain at a sedate and careful 50 mph.

Shot out onto the frozen lake, yee haw, time to ditch wimp and go
fast -- but where the hell is Bern? Uh oh. Chop throttle, do a
findyerbuddy 360. That sneaky devious alert cunning and sly old
******* was hiding behind a point. I found him. He grinned big. I
didn't know that ride was a test, but I guess I passed.

Daughters do what daughters will do, but a Dad does enjoy discovering
that the man who seems to be winning his daughter isn't a complete
asshole.

We should all be so lucky, checking out while doing what we enjoy
doing. His buds had to smuggle his bod back into the US, easy peasy
with fast sleds. Many miles of snow-covered border between
Rainy Lake and northern Idaho. I suspect they did the body-smuggle
into Montana but they never said and it doesn't matter.
Roger Shoaf

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
His buds had to smuggle his bod back into the US, easy peasy
with fast sleds. Many miles of snow-covered border between
Rainy Lake and northern Idaho. I suspect they did the body-smuggle
into Montana but they never said and it doesn't matter.

Why would they have to smuggle him?

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Spehro Pefhany

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 00:44:42 -0800, the renowned "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
.. .
His buds had to smuggle his bod back into the US, easy peasy
with fast sleds. Many miles of snow-covered border between
Rainy Lake and northern Idaho. I suspect they did the body-smuggle
into Montana but they never said and it doesn't matter.

Why would they have to smuggle him?

There was a guy a couple years back who did the same thing in the
opposite direction (his mom died enroute back to Toronto from
Florida). He just drove back, didn't say anything about i to the
border guy, and pulled up outside a funeral home when he hit town.
Made a bit of a fuss in the papers; but there wasn't really much they
could or should have done to him.

You wouldn't *have* to, but the police would have to get involved in
order to determine that it wasn't foul play, they'd have to find a
doctor to produce a death certificate and then the body would have to
be shipped back by some officially sanctioned means. Probably
insurance (if they had it) would cover the costs, but they'd be tied
up for a day or two waiting for all the formalities, for no real
benefit to anyone.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
B.B.

In article Y9KDd.79224$QR1.22660@fed1read04,
"Randy H." wrote:

My mom (87) has had 3 hip replacements and both knees.

Wait, hold on. How many legs does your mom have? (:

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Dan

wrote in message
oups.com...
For several years now I have been having trouble with my left knee.
It's swollen and painful. The doc tells me all the cartilage is gone in
between the bones. Until the last few months I could get around pretty
well once I got moving. Now it's painful most of the time and I find
that I get too tired of dealing with the pain to work in my shop more
than 1-1/2 hrs at a time. I'm scheduled to go in for a metal joint
replacement on Jan 18.
The doc has only given me vague info about this. He says I'll be able
to walk the next day but no climbing stairs.
My shop is in a building about 200 ft away and down 7 steps.(no
wheelchair acess).
I'm wondering if any of you have gone through with this and any ideas
about how long I'll be laid up?
Engineman1

I've worked with several orthopedic companies over the years. First off, not
all knee replacements are created equal. I would do a little research and
find the replacement that best suits your needs. Some knee replacements only
flex like a hinge. Your real knee both flexes and rotates, so an implant
that does both may be the better choice, take a look at Depuy, Wright, Smith
& Nephew, Zimmer, etc. they all have web sites with a lot of good info. Of
course, not being an orthopedic surgeon I can't say for sure which type is
better for you. Which brings up another point, you need to get a second
opinion. This is a major and very intrusive operation. If you have bad
results, often nothing can be done to reverse the damage. There is also the
issue of your age. Total knee replacement is to be avoided in younger
patients. Artificial knees wear out over time, and often can not be replaced
once installed.
I know several people who have had knee replacement surgery, and you are
lucky that the technology is better today than it was even ten years ago.
But you need to be prepared for a fairly long recovery time, and some real
pain. Again this is very invasive surgery. Be tough and stick with the
physical therapy post op. It will shorten your recovery and give you a
greater degree of flexibility in the end. I'd be a little concerned about
your doc being vague. I would want to know everything, from what type and
brand knee he'll be using, recovery time, pain management, etc. I would also
check him out as much as possible. Remember, somewhere out there, the worlds
worst orthopedic surgeon is operating on someone, so is the best. I know
which one I would want. Anyway good luck and do a little research this
weekend. There is a ton of info on the internet, write down any questions
you have, then call your doc and grill him like a hamburger.

Dan

Randy

My mom (87) has had 3 hip replacements and both knees.

Wait, hold on. How many legs does your mom have? (:

She came equipped as we all do. When she had her first hip replacement she
was in her sixties. They say the replacement will last about 10 years and
they do it again. She stretched hers for 20 years. That was a big mistake.

Her hip bone had came lose from the implant. She could feel it move a
little. But there wasn't much pain with it. She ignored it as long as
possible.

It wore out the hole from the bone rubbing against metal until her hip bone
actually split. When the doc went in he found that she had multiple
fractures. Her hip bone was disintegrating. He said it was the worst hip he
had ever done. He had to cut bone for elsewhere to patch it up.

She has pretty much been in a wheel chair since. She can stand and take a
couple steps, but she will never do a polka again.

I have just turned 50. My turn is just around the corner. I'm just thrilled
about it!

Randy H

jim rozen

In article , Don Foreman says...

Bern had a deburring business. They deburred everything from
snowmobile skids to heart valve parts -- including the stainless steel
hip joint devices. When the surgeon came around to see how he was
doing, Bern said, "oh, I'm doing fine -- but I found this thing under
the covers, what the hell is it?" and showed the doc a hip joint
device he'd brought or had someone bring from his shop.

That's actually pretty funny. I'm sure they billed him
for the joint. He should have asked for a discount if
he supplied his own!

My mom is getting one knee done next week. She's 76 and
has no cartilege left at all.

Jim

please reply to:
Mike

I have had a case of bad knees. They got real swollen and painful. My Doc
had it also. He said to take Flax-seed oil. It takes about two months for it
to start working. Well it worked great! I take two pills a day. It's all
natural and is available at Wal-Mart and vitamin stores. The Doc said is was
like grease for your joints.

Martin H. Eastburn

wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

And like Howard Hughes - where the death occurred rules the law of who inherits what.

It can be a real big problem if caught in the wrong place.
Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life
Pete Bergstrom

wrote in message
oups.com...
For several years now I have been having trouble with my left knee.
It's swollen and painful. The doc tells me all the cartilage is gone in
between the bones. Until the last few months I could get around pretty
well once I got moving. Now it's painful most of the time and I find
that I get too tired of dealing with the pain to work in my shop more
than 1-1/2 hrs at a time. I'm scheduled to go in for a metal joint
replacement on Jan 18.
The doc has only given me vague info about this. He says I'll be able
to walk the next day but no climbing stairs.

Ooh, do you trust your doctor completely?

My mother (62) had her knee replaced last summer just after school let out
(she teaches 3 year olds, so there's lots of up and down all day long).
There is a new way of replacing the knee joint that dramatically reduces the
damage done by the surgery; it's basically just a teeny tiny cut rather than
the traditional 'flay the leg open, peel the patella back and start
hacking'. I don't know where you're located, but it's only done at two or
three hospitals in Minnesota, one of which is the Mayo Clinic. She had hers
done in Woodbury, on the east side of the Twin Cities. Blue Shield was only
too happy to pay for this procedure at this specialty hospital a long way
from her home; my guess is that it's very cost-effective even though the
procedure probably cost more than what she could have gotten elsewhere.

The upshot is that she came to my house the very next day, walking mostly on
her own. She pretty much stayed off stairs for a week (only enough to get in
and out of my house, 3-4 at a time). A total of two weeks of staying with my
family, physical therapy at my house, and she drove home (4+ hour trip).
Another month and she was claiming to be pretty mobile.

Based on seeing these results, I'm going to be extremely diligent in
tracking down surgeons in the future. It really can be a huge difference!

My shop is in a building about 200 ft away and down 7 steps.(no
wheelchair acess).
I'm wondering if any of you have gone through with this and any ideas
about how long I'll be laid up?

Since I don't know you, I can't predict much, but if my mom had wanted to do
this as a hobby, I'd guess she could have been going at a few things within
a week and resting less frequently after 4. I wouldn't recommend any heavy
lifting in the first period, of course.

Pete

Gunluvver2

Engineman,
I had my left hip replaced Oct.24th, 1997 and the left knee on Jan. 6th, 1998.
I was just 51 at that time. If I remember right it was three or four days after
the hip replacement before I did any walking without a walker. It was at least
a week before I could handle the 12 stairs from my upstairs to my basement shop
and even then I used the handrails for the first few weeks. The knee PT and
recovery was a lot faster. I was in excellent physical shape before I had these
surgeries from a daily bicycle commute of ten miles plus recreational riding
and swimming every day. The instant relief from the chronic hip & knee pain was
worth it. Now if they could just relieve the back pain. LOL.
Dennis