Henry Q. Bibb

Default HF TIG welder

I was in ye olde Harbor Fright the other day, and spied this little
item, identified as a 220 Volt, 130 TIG/90 Arc Welder Inverter.
Item number 91811-1VGA, url:

Could such a thing be useful for welding sheet steel, perhaps?
Aluminum sheet?

Yeah, I know: "if it sounds to good to be true..."

Still, I'd like to hear what some real welders have to say about it.

Thanks,
Henry
Jim Stewart

Henry Q. Bibb wrote:
I was in ye olde Harbor Fright the other day, and spied this little
item, identified as a 220 Volt, 130 TIG/90 Arc Welder Inverter.
Item number 91811-1VGA, url:

Could such a thing be useful for welding sheet steel, perhaps?
Aluminum sheet?

Yeah, I know: "if it sounds to good to be true..."

Still, I'd like to hear what some real welders have to say about it.

I'm not a TIG welder, but I've been reading
up and looking for a machine.

It's DC only so probably no aluminum. It also
looks like no HF so it's scratch-start. No gas
regulator so you have to buy one.

All in all, about 1/3 of a real TIG welder at
about 1/3 the price of the cheapest real inverter
welder.

Dixon

"Henry Q. Bibb" wrote in message
k.net...
I was in ye olde Harbor Fright the other day, and spied this little
item, identified as a 220 Volt, 130 TIG/90 Arc Welder Inverter.
Item number 91811-1VGA, url:

Could such a thing be useful for welding sheet steel, perhaps?
Aluminum sheet?

Yeah, I know: "if it sounds to good to be true..."

Still, I'd like to hear what some real welders have to say about it.

Thanks,
Henry

As a weldor, I say run from harbor freight. Look for a deal on an older
Miller or Lincoln. A tig can be bought for a couple hundred bucks if you are
patient. It's worth the wait. A friend bought a harbor freight arc welder
(110v), we tease him if it says "just like dad's" anywhere on the box or for
ages 5 to 9. He would have been better off to have spent the same money on a
case of JB two part epoxy.
Dixon

Jon Elson

Dixon wrote:

"Henry Q. Bibb" wrote in message
nk.net...

I was in ye olde Harbor Fright the other day, and spied this little
item, identified as a 220 Volt, 130 TIG/90 Arc Welder Inverter.
Item number 91811-1VGA, url:

Could such a thing be useful for welding sheet steel, perhaps?
Aluminum sheet?

Yeah, I know: "if it sounds to good to be true..."

Still, I'd like to hear what some real welders have to say about it.

Thanks,
Henry

As a weldor, I say run from harbor freight. Look for a deal on an older
Miller or Lincoln. A tig can be bought for a couple hundred bucks if you are
patient.

I paid a LOT more than that for a Lincoln Square Wave TIG 300, but it
was WORTH
it. I'm a crummy welder, have never taken any training whatsoever, and
was barely
able to fix stuff with a buzz box. I also hated the stick fumes, which
really did stuff
to me. I got the hang of TIG'ing steel in a couple of hours, and can
make pretty
decent weld beads on steel and stainless now. I REALLY like the
control, and the
ability to use TINY arcs to make fine welds on small parts. Like I had
an $80
collet nut for a Procunier tapping head that had cracked in two. It had
a tapered,
square-profile thread that would be fantastically difficult to
reproduce. So, I
TIG'ed it, and only had the slightest hint of melt-through to the
internal thread side.
It is still holding just fine! YEAH!

Of course, this is a total MONSTER of a machine, 800 Lbs, the size of a
refrigerator,
needs a water-cooled torch at full power, etc. But an AC Square Wave
machine with
an arc balance control is REALLY the thing if you want to TIG aluminum.

Jon

Dixon

"Jon Elson" wrote in message

Dixon wrote:

"Henry Q. Bibb" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Gotta agree with Jon, once you have a good tig welder you wonder how anybody
could get by without one.
Dixon

wallster

snipped
Gotta agree with Jon, once you have a good tig welder you wonder how
anybody could get by without one.
Dixon

most definiatly. I used to grab my mig welder for almost everything, now i
grab the tig about 75% of time. It's relaxing.

walt
http://www.wallysspeedshop.com
c'mon... sign the guestbook!