tempus fugit

Default Lazy Man's PC microphone adapter

I would say that a PC mic is putting out a mic, not a line level. Line
levels are about 500 - 2000 mV, while a mic level is more like 10 - 100mV.
Your scheme won't work without a mic preamp. Also, I may be wrong here, but
I'm pretty sure that a PC mic is a condenser, which means it needs some
power (1.5-12V) to work, which it is probably getting from the mic input on
the soundcard.

You can verify this by putting a DC voltmeter on the output of your
soundcard, and you can verify the input level problem by plugging your PC
mic into the line input of your card.

"JURB6006" wrote in message
Hi;

I think I know what's going on with my failing soundcards, the last victim

was
an AWE64 , but I saw corrosion in some on the IC pins. How it got there

still don't know, but that's not the topic of this post..

I would like to record more than one microphone channel on my PC and I

think I
got a hassle free way to do it.

What I need to know is what level the mike puts out to the soundcard. I'm
assuming (that's why I thought I better ask) that the microphone's

internal
preamp puts out approximately line level. I think this because if you

design
some standards for this system, and you have a powered preamp, why not
eliminate extra stages on the card right ?

To be lazy as possible I want to take a Y adapter from the mic input,

stereo
adapters to two other adapters that will distribute the power to all three

mics
and send the outputs 1.to the orig mic input, 2 left and right each to the

line
input. There would be three mics, but I'm pretty sure power wouldn't be a
problem with these flea power preamps.

Can anyone confirm that PC mics put out approx. line level to the

soundcard ?
If so all I need is some adapters and I can get this done without

soldering.
Three channels, it would be great, even though I can't post-mix.

Thanks in advance

JURB

---

Michael Black

JURB6006 ) writes:
Hi;

I think I know what's going on with my failing soundcards, the last victim was
an AWE64 , but I saw corrosion in some on the IC pins. How it got there I
[...]

You misunderstand what the "preamp"in the microphone is for. It's merely
as single stage source follower to match the very high impedance of
the actual electret microphone to much lower output impedance.

You can actually open up an electret capsule and see this. At least when I
took one apart, there was an identifiable FET in a small package, and if
that wasn't all there was then there was also a resistor.

Since that FET is only there for impedance matching, theoretically
a transformer could be used there. But it would be much bulkier,
and prone to pick up hum. So they use a solid state device, and hence
need a very tiny amount of power to run it.

There is no way that this stage with no voltage amplification could provide
a line level voltage. It's merely what comes out of the microphone, and
that will need to be amplified.

So you will need external preamps for thos project.

Micahel

JURB6006

Thank for setting me straight here guys. I guess I'll have to figure out
something else.

JURB

AC Adapter Vic Electronics Repair 0 November 25th 04 10:26 AM
lazy susans Steve Schefter Woodworking 12 October 21st 04 02:26 PM
Morse Taper Adapter Issue Lorin Woodturning 3 June 8th 04 05:51 AM
Help with collet adapter for Logan lathe? Geo. Anderson Metalworking 8 May 5th 04 11:58 PM