Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

Default Explain pump motor start switch

Hi all,
I helped my neighbor disassemble a pump motor, we had to remove the
centrifugal assembly from the shaft. The centrifugal assembly opens a
switch when it gets up to speed. Opposite of what I thought would
happen. The motor has a start capacitor.

I just did a Google search thinking I might just answer my own question,
but all I did was confirm what I thought I knew.

So, why does the switch open when the motor gets up to speed?

What is the circuit before the switch closes vs. after the switch closes.

Yes, I'm sure the switch is closed at stall and is pushed open when the
weight swings.
Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

amdx wrote:

Hi all,
I helped my neighbor disassemble a pump motor, we had to remove the
centrifugal assembly from the shaft. The centrifugal assembly opens a
switch when it gets up to speed. Opposite of what I thought would
happen. The motor has a start capacitor.

I just did a Google search thinking I might just answer my own question,
but all I did was confirm what I thought I knew.

So, why does the switch open when the motor gets up to speed?

What is the circuit before the switch closes vs. after the switch closes.

Yes, I'm sure the switch is closed at stall and is pushed open when the
weight swings.

The start winding draws a lot of current, and is only needed to get
the motor started. That start capacitor is a non-polar electrolytic. It
can only take intermittent service without blowing the vent. The start
capacitor causes a phase shift to the run winding, which provides the
torque required to start the motor. At least it isn't using a potential
relay.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

On 17/07/14 20:59, amdx wrote:
Hi all,
I helped my neighbor disassemble a pump motor, we had to remove the
centrifugal assembly from the shaft. The centrifugal assembly opens a
switch when it gets up to speed. Opposite of what I thought would
happen. The motor has a start capacitor.

I just did a Google search thinking I might just answer my own question,
but all I did was confirm what I thought I knew.

So, why does the switch open when the motor gets up to speed?

What is the circuit before the switch closes vs. after the switch closes.

Yes, I'm sure the switch is closed at stall and is pushed open when the
weight swings.
Mikek

Why did you think the switch should close at speed ??
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

On 7/17/2014 8:22 AM, Rheilly Phoull wrote:
On 17/07/14 20:59, amdx wrote:
Hi all,
I helped my neighbor disassemble a pump motor, we had to remove the
centrifugal assembly from the shaft. The centrifugal assembly opens a
switch when it gets up to speed. Opposite of what I thought would
happen. The motor has a start capacitor.

I just did a Google search thinking I might just answer my own question,
but all I did was confirm what I thought I knew.

So, why does the switch open when the motor gets up to speed?

What is the circuit before the switch closes vs. after the switch closes.

Yes, I'm sure the switch is closed at stall and is pushed open when the
weight swings.
Mikek

Why did you think the switch should close at speed ??

Never mind.
I don't know how I got my logic mixed up.
Thanks, Mikek

---