Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Oxy cutting a 8" steel shaft

On 4/24/2014 5:33 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 4/23/2014 8:13 PM, Ignoramus18845 wrote:
We need to cut a 8" steel shaft (crankshaft on a punch press) to
safely take off the flywheel before dropping down the whole press.

Can't you take it apart? I've had the flywheels off of all my presses,
granted none are that big but the process is the same.

I'd sure give it a go, first, methinks...bound to be quite a bit cheaper
in materials and likely faster, besides...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 19:03:00 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 4/24/2014 5:33 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 4/23/2014 8:13 PM, Ignoramus18845 wrote:
We need to cut a 8" steel shaft (crankshaft on a punch press) to
safely take off the flywheel before dropping down the whole press.

Can't you take it apart? I've had the flywheels off of all my presses,
granted none are that big but the process is the same.

I'd sure give it a go, first, methinks...bound to be quite a bit cheaper
in materials and likely faster, besides...

Indeed!

Gunner

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/24/2014 9:53 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 19:03:00 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 4/24/2014 5:33 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 4/23/2014 8:13 PM, Ignoramus18845 wrote:
We need to cut a 8" steel shaft (crankshaft on a punch press) to
safely take off the flywheel before dropping down the whole press.

Can't you take it apart? I've had the flywheels off of all my presses,
granted none are that big but the process is the same.

I'd sure give it a go, first, methinks...bound to be quite a bit cheaper
in materials and likely faster, besides...

Indeed!

Gunner

--

Is it harder to remove a flywheel from an 8" shaft? My 60t is about 4"
and we pull it at least every 2 years. Next time the bush will have to

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 01:54:29 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 4/24/2014 9:53 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 19:03:00 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 4/24/2014 5:33 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 4/23/2014 8:13 PM, Ignoramus18845 wrote:
We need to cut a 8" steel shaft (crankshaft on a punch press) to
safely take off the flywheel before dropping down the whole press.

Can't you take it apart? I've had the flywheels off of all my presses,
granted none are that big but the process is the same.

I'd sure give it a go, first, methinks...bound to be quite a bit cheaper
in materials and likely faster, besides...

Indeed!

Gunner

--

Is it harder to remove a flywheel from an 8" shaft? My 60t is about 4"
and we pull it at least every 2 years. Next time the bush will have to
be replaced.

Its not hard at all if you have a forklift capable of lifting the
flywheel and a coupe hydraulic jacks..or even a couple simple screw
jacks

Its far harder to put the ******* back on unless you put your gum in
the proper corner of your mouth

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties
that he favored total civilian firearms confiscation.
Only the military and police should have weapons he averred and what did I think about that?

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/25/2014 4:42 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

We just get a forklift near and Robert's your father's brother.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It worked with a #5 acetylene tip, took 20 min of hard work

http://goo.gl/eG6X7v
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus29722 wrote:

It worked with a #5 acetylene tip, took 20 min of hard work

http://goo.gl/eG6X7v

It sure is handy having a big forklift...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/26/2014 8:28 AM, Ignoramus29722 wrote:
It worked with a #5 acetylene tip, took 20 min of hard work

http://goo.gl/eG6X7v

Kewl...much quicker than I'd have expected, truthfully...