Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best deals on aluminum cutting end mills

I need to get some 1/4" and 3/8" shank aluminum end mills. I looked
at Enco and I have a feeling they used to be cheaper before! Would
anyone suggest a good online place to buy them. Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim jim is offline

Ignoramus15698 wrote:

I need to get some 1/4" and 3/8" shank aluminum end mills. I looked
at Enco and I have a feeling they used to be cheaper before! Would
anyone suggest a good online place to buy them. Thanks

I would think an aluminum end mill would have trouble
cutting butter.

Have you tried ebay search for HSS "2 Flute" Tin Coated endmill?

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 07:51:16 -0600, Ignoramus15698
wrote:

I need to get some 1/4" and 3/8" shank aluminum end mills. I looked
at Enco and I have a feeling they used to be cheaper before! Would
anyone suggest a good online place to buy them. Thanks

I'll share my eBay search with you
http://www.ebay.com/dsc/End-Mills-/2...=garr+aluminum

it notifies me on new listings. Got quite a pile of deals this way.

Garr is top quality, replace with another vendor if you'd rather.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 8:51:16 AM UTC-5, Ignoramus15698 wrote:
I need to get some 1/4" and 3/8" shank aluminum end mills.

You might look at Shars.com On the website they add more postage for each part, but if you call them, they will use a flat rate box and charge accordingly.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15698 wrote:

I need to get some 1/4" and 3/8" shank aluminum end mills. I looked
at Enco and I have a feeling they used to be cheaper before! Would
anyone suggest a good online place to buy them. Thanks

Travers Tool just sent me a flyer yesterday. I can't say the prices
are really good, but they aren't horrible. Of course, you don't
want end mills made of aluminum, but for cutting aluminum. I use
1/8" solid carbide because thay can be had cheaply. For larger
sizes, I usually use cobalt-containing HSS, such as M42. Thses are
only a dollar or so more than plain HSS, but last 3X longer, or more.
Avoid the Chinese crap in blue plastic tubes, they are the worst stuff
I've ever seen.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus15698" wrote in message
I need to get some 1/4" and 3/8" shank aluminum end mills. I looked
at Enco and I have a feeling they used to be cheaper before! Would
anyone suggest a good online place to buy them. Thanks

I've had pretty good luck and can get pretty good material removal rates
with 3 Flute Alu-Power end mills. I buy them on Ebay usually.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I need to get some 1/4" and 3/8" shank aluminum end mills. I looked
at Enco and I have a feeling they used to be cheaper before! Would
anyone suggest a good online place to buy them. Thanks

Mari-Tool sells some nice carbide end mills and they are located
fairly local to you. If the IL state tax bothers you, try Lakeshore
Carbide.

http://www.maritool.com/

http://www.lakeshorecarbide.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 3:51:16 PM UTC+2, Ignoramus15698 wrote:
I need to get some 1/4" and 3/8" shank aluminum end mills. I looked

at Enco and I have a feeling they used to be cheaper before! Would

anyone suggest a good online place to buy them. Thanks

Now you could get all in one from Hello World Magazine. The Hello World Magazine is a free online magazine which deals with fashion, beauty, homemade craft, recipe, entertainment, study, traveling and much more only for you. It would change your lifestyle. http://www.helloworldmagazine.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I need to get some 1/4" and 3/8" shank aluminum end mills. I looked
at Enco and I have a feeling they used to be cheaper before! Would
anyone suggest a good online place to buy them. Thanks

Mari-Tool sells some nice carbide end mills and they are located
fairly local to you. If the IL state tax bothers you, try Lakeshore
Carbide.

Speaking of buying new tools, I stopped by HF for a couple of
multifunction tools. One was for my spare, the other for my sister. I
took it over to her and gave it to her, then was going to use it to
install her rain barrel set. Those SOCK CUCKERS are shipping them
with no blades whatsoever now. The box shows all that it can do with
the 6 various blades, but all that's in the package is the machine,
the allen wrench, the holddown bolt and washer, a manual, and a set of
brushes for the motor. Talk about embarrassing. There is a small
block on the box which says "! Accessories sold separately." in half
the size print that the ads use. *******s.

Caveat Emptor.

How are the tools themselves? One of my summer projects is replacing
the bottom ends of a few corner boards that have rotted near the
ground. I'd rather trim a foot or two from the bottom than pull off an
entire 16 foot 1x5. A Fein seems like overkill for something I'll
probably only use a few times, even if I find a used one on
Craigslist.

What about the HF blades?

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You could buy 25 sets of tool/blades for the price of 1 Fein. The only
difference is that the Fein vibrates your hand less. That's nice, but
not 25x nice, knowwhatImean,Vern?

I've used this HF multifunction tool for about 3 years now and it has
never skipped a beat. I bought a spare because of the price, but this
one may last forever. (My cheap HF 4-1/2" angle grinders seem to.)
And the cheap little TIG purrs nicely every time I fire it up. I only
wish it had a hi freq section to start the arc. It's a scratch start,
or "lift start", as I just heard someone say here.

What about the HF blades?

Very good on wood, iffy on metal, but I've cut nails holding cabinets
together with them. They have a new bimetal blade, but I just picked
it up and don't yet know its longevity. Expect to lose teeth within
inches of cutting concrete siding. BTDT and it cost me, but it did
cut the crap.

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I bought a Genesis (Princes Auto - Canadian version of HF) brand that
had been used to the extent that one of the sandpaper sheets showed
some use, for $5 a couple years ago. Second son complained that the
mostly round saw blade was starting to get a bit dull so I shelled out
the ten bucks to replace it!
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You talked me into it. Do you have a preference among the three corded
models HF sells? The two single-speed units are on sale for $20.
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ing-tools.html

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I haven't tried the variable speed models, but that's just something
else to go wrong with them. I have the basic 68861 corded unit. The
cordless looks interesting, but I'm seldom without 120v power.

Weight differences make me think the heavier 68861 has a more powerful
motor and/or transmission/housing than the 60428, but that's just a
guess. If it's possible to get a few extra windings on a Chiwanese
motor, I want 'em.

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.
-- John Quincy Adams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 09:06:27 -0400
Ned Simmons wrote:

snip
You talked me into it. Do you have a preference among the three corded
models HF sells? The two single-speed units are on sale for $20.
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ing-tools.html

Make sure you check through all the plethora of coupons available from
HF. Maybe able to save a few more $

http://slickdeals.net/f/1276399-harb...coupon-thread?

If nothing else use one of the 25% or 20% off one item...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I don't think I trust the listed weights - the shipping weight shown
is less than the weight of the tool g. I could visit an HF store and
hope they have both in stock to compare. But for what the trip would
cost in gas, time and aggravation I could buy both online.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message

I don't think I trust the listed weights - the shipping weight shown
is less than the weight of the tool g. I could visit an HF store
and
hope they have both in stock to compare. But for what the trip would
cost in gas, time and aggravation I could buy both online.

--
Ned Simmons

What do you have up (down?) there for tool suppliers now?

I've visited Liberty Tool and the hardware store / antique shop east
of the top of Penobscot Bay, but not found much else.

Doesn't matter, I suppose. The relatives left Deer Isle.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

And that would be giving yourself a backup -plus- still being 10.8x
cheaper than buying a Fein.

--
Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act,
the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 10:39:57 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
.. .

I don't think I trust the listed weights - the shipping weight shown
is less than the weight of the tool g. I could visit an HF store
and
hope they have both in stock to compare. But for what the trip would
cost in gas, time and aggravation I could buy both online.

--
Ned Simmons

What do you have up (down?) there for tool suppliers now?

I've visited Liberty Tool and the hardware store / antique shop east
of the top of Penobscot Bay, but not found much else.

Doesn't matter, I suppose. The relatives left Deer Isle.
jsw

Liberty Tool is the closest good place for used tools, about 1-1/4 hr
away. I'm not familiar with the other place. East of the top of
Penobscot Bay would be somewhere between Bucksport and Elllsworth, no?
The only place that comes to mind is the Big Chicken Barn books and
antiques place.

On the other side of the bay, in Searsport, is another place owned by
Skip Brack, the guy who owns Liberty Tool. I'd love to know how much
of my money he's pocketed over the years. The first thing I bought
from him was a Wilton machinist's vise circa 1976. He was in Jonesport
back then. I hitchiked home from Bar Harbor to Boston with that vise
in my duffle bag.

Have you been to Young Engineering in Salem MA? It was a wonderful
place until the mid 80s or so, when the original Mr. Young's son took
over. I don't know if it even exists anymore. BTW, Mrs. Young was from
Deer Isle.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Pretty much my reasoning.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I think I've visited every second-hand machinery dealer within the
distance I trust my old truck, and talked to the owner of Plaza
Machinery in central Vermont. Young had a great selection of larger
machines but nothing hobby-sized. I got my South Bend 10L from Rison's
in Plaistow NH and the rest from auctions and individual sales.
http://www.brentwoodmachine.com/
http://www.breakhearttool.com/
http://www.tools4cheap.net/
http://brassandtool.com/index.html
http://plazamachinery.com/

jsw

Cutting steel w/ a circular saw.... Cutting Aluminum Stock Larry Jaques[_2_] Metalworking 0 April 18th 10 10:04 PM
Cutting Aluminum SMS Home Repair 14 April 6th 08 08:09 AM
Cutting aluminum with carbide wood cutting blade on tablesaw mc Metalworking 16 March 1st 06 06:20 AM
Cutting aluminum with carbide wood cutting blade on tablesaw mc Woodworking 17 March 1st 06 06:20 AM
Cheep Face Mills / Indexable End Mills? Hari Seldon Metalworking 8 January 28th 06 04:21 AM