Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT-- I speak 'shop' to auto salvage yards

After having overheard the conversations on
the 'hotline' between salvage yards, I learned
enough of the language to be understood by the
natives.

Example:

[A1 Salvage]: "A1 Salvage"

[Winston]: "For a 1980 El Camino, a driver's side
door in dark brown."

[A1 Salvage]: "No."

[Winston]: "Thanks, Bye."

The whole transaction normally takes place in
less than 15 seconds and frees everyone up to
continue their lives very nicely.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
After having overheard the conversations on
the 'hotline' between salvage yards, I learned
enough of the language to be understood by the
natives.

Example:

[A1 Salvage]: "A1 Salvage"

[Winston]: "For a 1980 El Camino, a driver's side
door in dark brown."

[A1 Salvage]: "No."

[Winston]: "Thanks, Bye."

The whole transaction normally takes place in
less than 15 seconds and frees everyone up to
continue their lives very nicely.

LOL.

Standardized "Aviation English" is about 300
words. I wonder how many words you could get
Salvage English down to?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
Winston wrote:
After having overheard the conversations on
the 'hotline' between salvage yards, I learned
enough of the language to be understood by the
natives.

Example:

[A1 Salvage]: "A1 Salvage"

[Winston]: "For a 1980 El Camino, a driver's side
door in dark brown."

[A1 Salvage]: "No."

[Winston]: "Thanks, Bye."

The whole transaction normally takes place in
less than 15 seconds and frees everyone up to
continue their lives very nicely.

LOL.

Standardized "Aviation English" is about 300
words. I wonder how many words you could get
Salvage English down to?

Not too darned many.

I should start a 'salvage yard' dictionary:

buck: noun. One hundred dollars

rear clip: noun. Includes:
rear bumper, deck lid or hatch assembly,
rear finish panel, left and right tail
lamps, trunk floor, back glass, outer
and inner roof panel and body floor pan
up to the first seam.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message

Standardized "Aviation English" is about 300
words. I wonder how many words you could get
Salvage English down to?

I think I've heard that the Army enlisted vocabulary is around 100
words. A few choice words cover a very wide range of meanings.

The Voice of America writers had a list of about 900 words to use,
excluding place names..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_English

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:12:07 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:
Winston wrote:
[...]

Your gentle server at A1 forgot the magic words: "Want me to find one
for you?" whereupon you indicate in the affirmative.

G'luck on '80 Elk parts, though.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from folly
is to fill the world with fools.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think that's excellent idea. Sounds very useful.

I got a totally strange look when I walked into a hardware store and asked
for a Weslock passage, Elegante, times five, 2 3/8 RCL. My locksmith
wholesale house counter guy woulda asked how many did I want.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Winston" wrote in message

I should start a 'salvage yard' dictionary:

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In the book "The Right Stuff" they did mention Army Creole.

One of my favorite lines is the jeep driver in the original MASH movie. The
actor who played Dr. Joe Early in Emergency! at the hospital. I think IRL,
he was married to Dixie McCall. Jack London, was his name, maybe?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

I think I've heard that the Army enlisted vocabulary is around 100
words. A few choice words cover a very wide range of meanings.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
In the book "The Right Stuff" they did mention Army Creole.

One of my favorite lines is the jeep driver in the original MASH movie.
The
actor who played Dr. Joe Early in Emergency! at the hospital. I think IRL,
he was married to Dixie McCall. Jack London, was his name, maybe?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

That was Bobby Troup. He was a musician. He wrote the song "Route 66".
He was indeed married to Julie London, aka "Dixie". She was also a
singer.She had also been married to Jack Webb.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I think that's excellent idea. Sounds very useful.

I got a totally strange look when I walked into a hardware store and asked
for a Weslock passage, Elegante, times five, 2 3/8 RCL. My locksmith
wholesale house counter guy woulda asked how many did I want.

Then why did you ask for one in a hardware store?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Your gentle server at A1 forgot the magic words: "Want me to find one
for you?" whereupon you indicate in the affirmative.

G'luck on '80 Elk parts, though.

That was just an example.

In real life, I was looking for a driver's seat for my
older Camry because I was quite tired of the way it rocked
fore and aft on deceleration and acceleration, respectively.

(I love that car, otherwise.)

It wasn't the original seat either. The original had a
coffee stain on the right side, was well worn and had
upholstery tears in two places, from the tool pouch I
carry in my right hip pocket.

--But it didn't rock to and fro.

*This* 'rocking' seat (which is quite clean, relatively
unworn and has no upholstery tears) magically appeared in
the original's place when I had a new set of tires fitted
at a local shop. (All I had to do the following day was
put the drive motor axle back in the seat frame and it
began to work fine.) (Except for the 'rocking' business.)

Shazam! How lucky can a guy get, I ask you?

But back to our Recycled Parts Monger this morning:

He didn't have a seat and didn't volunteer to locate one either.

That was lucky, because after further examination, I repaired
my present seat by tightening a loose pivot mounting bolt, on
the front port side of the seat frame.

DoH! My friends at the shop gave away a perfectly good seat
because they couldn't locate and tighten one pivot bolt!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oh, that brings back the memory. Thank you. In the places I've seen him,
seems like a nice enough fellow.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
actor who played Dr. Joe Early in Emergency! at the hospital. I think IRL,
he was married to Dixie McCall. Jack London, was his name, maybe?

That was Bobby Troup. He was a musician. He wrote the song "Route 66".
He was indeed married to Julie London, aka "Dixie". She was also a
singer.She had also been married to Jack Webb.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I figured an old hardware store was likely to have a discontinued item on a
dusty shelf. My wholesale house wasn't being very helpful.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I got a totally strange look when I walked into a hardware store and asked
for a Weslock passage, Elegante, times five, 2 3/8 RCL. My locksmith
wholesale house counter guy woulda asked how many did I want.

Then why did you ask for one in a hardware store?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Whoopie ti yi yo, rocking to and fro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6dx8AfTmQk
Back in the saddle, again.

Glad you got a seat that worked for you. So many things in life can be
repaired, given the right tools and skills.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Winston" wrote in message

In real life, I was looking for a driver's seat for my
older Camry because I was quite tired of the way it rocked
fore and aft on deceleration and acceleration, respectively.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I figured an old hardware store was likely to have a discontinued item on a
dusty shelf. My wholesale house wasn't being very helpful.

You have to wave the bad part in their face, since most don't
memorize all the stock numbers but some will remember seeing what you're
looking for.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gimmewundeez!"

(how to talk hardware in one simple word.)

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Hardware Store Language
www.Gimmewundeez.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I figured an old hardware store was likely to have a discontinued item on
dusty shelf. My wholesale house wasn't being very helpful.

You have to wave the bad part in their face, since most don't
memorize all the stock numbers but some will remember seeing what you're
looking for.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

"Gimmewundeez!"

No words are needed in a real hardware store, if you have the old
item. Unless they have multiple price ranges to chose from.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" on Tue, 21 Feb
2012 21:55:57 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
"Gimmewundeez!"

(how to talk hardware in one simple word.)

Oder "Braucht einaml" - same sort of thing in German. (That and
"anrufen meinen Chef" solve my problems.)

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Hardware Store Language
www.Gimmewundeez.org
.

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
om...

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I figured an old hardware store was likely to have a discontinued item on
a dusty shelf. My wholesale house wasn't being very helpful.

You have to wave the bad part in their face, since most don't
memorize all the stock numbers but some will remember seeing what you're
looking for.

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

(...)

You have to wave the bad part in their face,

(...)

I'm *way* too close to San Francisco to be doing that.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

(...)

The Voice of America writers had a list of about 900 words to use,
excluding place names..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_English

Can you really trust a vocabulary which does
not have words to say 'Give me the birds-eye
lowdown on this caper.'?

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

I'm *way* too close to San Francisco to be doing that.

Not my problem. I live on the other side of the country, for a
reason!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

(...)

The Voice of America writers had a list of about 900 words to use,
excluding place names..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_English

Can you really trust a vocabulary which does
not have words to say 'Give me the birds-eye
lowdown on this caper.'?

The VOA chose the words carefully, since their target was countries
where English was a second or third language.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

So true. I wonder if a NYC hardware, you'd have to say "fuggeddabouddit"?

I've wondered if I could order lunch at my favorite pizza shop, wordlessly.
After all, I've had the same order for the last ten plus years.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Stormin Mormon wrote:

"Gimmewundeez!"

No words are needed in a real hardware store, if you have the old
item. Unless they have multiple price ranges to chose from.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That could really suck. Or, you could be the butt of jokes. That could queer
the whole deal.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Winston" wrote in message
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

(...)

You have to wave the bad part in their face,

(...)

I'm *way* too close to San Francisco to be doing that.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:...
The Voice of America writers had a list of about 900 words to use,
excluding place names..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_English

Can you really trust a vocabulary which does
not have words to say 'Give me the birds-eye
lowdown on this caper.'?
--Winston

WW2 may have been prolonged because the Japanese response to the July
1945 peace feeler included an ambiguous phrase translatable as 'Think
little of [something]" or its opposite "Think nothing of it".

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 21:21:44 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

(...)

You have to wave the bad part in their face,

(...)

I'm *way* too close to San Francisco to be doing that.

I sincerely don't believe he meant for you to "wave -your- bad parts
in their face." Win.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 21:27:13 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

(...)

The Voice of America writers had a list of about 900 words to use,
excluding place names..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_English

Can you really trust a vocabulary which does
not have words to say 'Give me the birds-eye
lowdown on this caper.'?

Betty Jo Farber did, Mr. Danger.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:...
The Voice of America writers had a list of about 900 words to use,
excluding place names..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_English

Can you really trust a vocabulary which does
not have words to say 'Give me the birds-eye
lowdown on this caper.'?
--Winston

WW2 may have been prolonged because the Japanese response to the July
1945 peace feeler included an ambiguous phrase translatable as 'Think
little of [something]" or its opposite "Think nothing of it".

Communication is tricky.

In a documentary I saw last night, _Revenge of the Electric Car_ Carlos Ghosn,
CEO & President, Nissan appears to say at one point "I'm not sure I know."
From context and body language, it is much more likely that he really said
"I'm not unsure. I know."

Those two ideas differ somewhat.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

So true. I wonder if a NYC hardware, you'd have to say "fuggeddabouddit"?

I've wondered if I could order lunch at my favorite pizza shop, wordlessly.
After all, I've had the same order for the last ten plus years.

I got a pizza yesterday. The girl behind the counter saw me coming
and was smiling, then pretended she didn't know what my 'usual' was
before handing it to me. 35 years ago I worked second shift at a
defense plant A local pizza place had a buffet on night a week, and a
dozen of us would hurry there to eat and get back on our half hour
break. They would have our 'usuals' made and in the oven when we were
due. In spite of a big sign that said that you couldn't take a whole
pizza to your table, they would bring out five and put them on or table,
all without saying a word.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 21:21:44 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

(...)

You have to wave the bad part in their face,

(...)

I'm *way* too close to San Francisco to be doing that.

I sincerely don't believe he meant for you to "wave -your- bad parts
in their face." Win.

I guess that you really do have to explain E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G to
some people? ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 21:21:44 -0800,
wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

(...)

You have to wave the bad part in their face,

(...)

I'm *way* too close to San Francisco to be doing that.

I sincerely don't believe he meant for you to "wave -your- bad parts
in their face." Win.

Who are you and what have you done with Larry!?

Dood! I've been waiting for you to jump on that line!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

(...)

I guess that you really do have to explain E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G to
some people? ;-)

Explain what? You spelled it out, cheater.
Larry told you I can't read, didn't he?

Grr.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 21:27:13 -0800,
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

(...)

The Voice of America writers had a list of about 900 words to use,
excluding place names..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_English

Can you really trust a vocabulary which does
not have words to say 'Give me the birds-eye
lowdown on this caper.'?

Betty Jo Farber did, Mr. Danger.

That's Audrey Farber or Betty Jo Bialowski, rather!
http://www.madmusic.com/song_details.aspx?SongID=3932

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 21:21:44 -0800,
wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

(...)

You have to wave the bad part in their face,

(...)

I'm *way* too close to San Francisco to be doing that.

I sincerely don't believe he meant for you to "wave -your- bad parts
in their face." Win.

Who are you and what have you done with Larry!?

Dood! I've been waiting for you to jump on that line!

Apparently you didn't wave it hard enough! ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 08:04:45 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 21:21:44 -0800,
wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

(...)

You have to wave the bad part in their face,

(...)

I'm *way* too close to San Francisco to be doing that.

I sincerely don't believe he meant for you to "wave -your- bad parts
in their face." Win.

Who are you and what have you done with Larry!?

Dood! I've been waiting for you to jump on that line!

I had to wait until it was quoted. He's in my filters.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 08:14:36 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 21:27:13 -0800,
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

(...)

The Voice of America writers had a list of about 900 words to use,
excluding place names..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_English

Can you really trust a vocabulary which does
not have words to say 'Give me the birds-eye
lowdown on this caper.'?

Betty Jo Farber did, Mr. Danger.

That's Audrey Farber or Betty Jo Bialowski, rather!
http://www.madmusic.com/song_details.aspx?SongID=3932

My mistake. Egad, I know that dialog by heart. How -could- I?
whap

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/21/2012 11:27 PM, Winston wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:

(...)

The Voice of America writers had a list of about 900 words to use,
excluding place names..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_English

Can you really trust a vocabulary which does
not have words to say 'Give me the birds-eye
lowdown on this caper.'?

"...whatever that means."

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 19:38:01 -0600, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

On 2/21/2012 11:27 PM, Winston wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:

(...)

The Voice of America writers had a list of about 900 words to use,
excluding place names..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_English

Can you really trust a vocabulary which does
not have words to say 'Give me the birds-eye
lowdown on this caper.'?

"...whatever that means."

David

I made a caper sauce tonight for baked salmon. I loved it, but my wife
did not agree.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2/21/2012 11:27 PM, Winston wrote:

(...)

Can you really trust a vocabulary which does
not have words to say 'Give me the birds-eye
lowdown on this caper.'?

"...whatever that means."

Welcome, David. You may wait here in the sitting
room or you can sit here in the waiting room.

I made a caper sauce tonight for baked salmon.

Sounds like Heaven!

I loved it, but my wife did not agree.

Does she not enjoy salmon? Is that even possible?

--Winston-- Sushi me!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2/21/2012 11:27 PM, Winston wrote:

(...)

Can you really trust a vocabulary which does
not have words to say 'Give me the birds-eye
lowdown on this caper.'?

"...whatever that means."

Welcome, David. You may wait here in the sitting
room or you can sit here in the waiting room.

I made a caper sauce tonight for baked salmon.

Sounds like Heaven!

I loved it, but my wife did not agree.

Does she not enjoy salmon? Is that even possible?

She LOVES salmon. She just didn't like the sauce I made. I made the
mistake of using my own recipe -- white sauce, capers, bacon bits and
lemon juice.

The capers are too sour for her, although I use them in a mushroom
cream sauce (with balsamic vinegar) for chicken breasts and she loves
that. Too many capers, I guess.

sigh I'll never make chef, because, if it wasn't my wife, I would
have tenderized her fingers with the meat mallet.

--Winston-- Sushi me!

Come tuna season, it will be sashimi-on-the-hoof (fin?) in my garage.
Just peel back some skin and dig in.

However, I learned that the sushi chefs freeze it first, apparently to
kill parasites. Hmmm. I'l have to ask down at Fred's Bait Shoppe and
Sushi Bar.

--
Ed Huntress