Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default WAY OT [OT] Speak Landscaper

It is all my fault because I am a lousy communicator.

I say:
"At the end of the project, the soil must be no higher than
it is right now. Same or lower grade at the end.
If that means we lose a couple of inches of height,
that's fine. Err on the side of lower rather than greater height."

He hears:
"I would like you to use a mattock to break up the clay and
leave 3" diameter clumps on the top of the existing grade.
Bring in a ton of dirty fill rock and dump it on top, raising
the grade three inches."

I say:
We need this area to direct runoff into the french drain
along here. A gentle slope will do it. If we have interference
with the top of the drainage rock, use a shallow step to
accommodate it.

He hears:
I want the runoff to flow back over the top of the new pavers, so
slope the soil away from the drainage system.

I say:
Here is a sketch of the new landing in front of the sliding
glass door. It is 5" wider than the door on the left side
and 14" wider on the 'opening' side.

He hears:
Let's think *really tiny* here.
I want this landing to be as small as possible because I have really
microscopic feet. Think 'Barbie and Ken', only *small*. Ignore the
sketch. I don't even know why I spent so much time on it.

Grrrr.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
[...]

I learned long ago that verbal communication with a contractor is just
****ing in the wind even you are on site every minute that his crew is.
Written is better but still no guarantee,
Last landscape job we hired out was terracing our sloping lot. My wife
made a scale model out of styrofoam and clay. 10 days and 100 tons
of boulders later the Spanish (only) speaking crew had it done to our
satisfaction.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/17/2010 7:41 PM, Artemus wrote:
wrote in message

(...)

Ignore the sketch. I don't even know why I spent so much time on it.

Grrrr.

--Winston

I learned long ago that verbal communication with a contractor is just
****ing in the wind even you are on site every minute that his crew is.
Written is better but still no guarantee,
Last landscape job we hired out was terracing our sloping lot. My wife
made a scale model out of styrofoam and clay. 10 days and 100 tons
of boulders later the Spanish (only) speaking crew had it done to our
satisfaction.

A scale model. Why didn't I think of that?

I'm set for next time.

Thanks, Art.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:47:45 -0700, Winston
wrote:

[...]

Unless you have a signed contract stating differently, you will get
your payment after you have finished the job to my satisfaction.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:47:45 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

It is all my fault because I am a lousy communicator.

See? You should have taken -Spanish- in high school, suckah.
As a Vietnamese lady cow-orker once said "I speak very English!"

I say:
"At the end of the project, the soil must be no higher than
it is right now. Same or lower grade at the end.
If that means we lose a couple of inches of height,
that's fine. Err on the side of lower rather than greater height."

He hears:
"I would like you to use a mattock to break up the clay and
leave 3" diameter clumps on the top of the existing grade.
Bring in a ton of dirty fill rock and dump it on top, raising
the grade three inches."

Oy vay!

I say:
We need this area to direct runoff into the french drain
along here. A gentle slope will do it. If we have interference
with the top of the drainage rock, use a shallow step to
accommodate it.

He hears:
I want the runoff to flow back over the top of the new pavers, so
slope the soil away from the drainage system.

Buy the idiot a LEVEL, Winnie.

I say:
Here is a sketch of the new landing in front of the sliding
glass door. It is 5" wider than the door on the left side
and 14" wider on the 'opening' side.

He hears:
Let's think *really tiny* here.
I want this landing to be as small as possible because I have really
microscopic feet. Think 'Barbie and Ken', only *small*. Ignore the
sketch. I don't even know why I spent so much time on it.

Did he match it to the actual openable width, at least?

Grrrr.

But he's licensed and insured, right? Take him up on it and/or don't
finish paying him.

And now a word about going with the lowest bidder...
(insert implied wisdom of not doing so HERE)

P.S: You could always take him back to HD and get a refund.

--
No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up.
--Lily Tomlin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 17, 7:47*pm, Winston wrote:
[...]

Reputation counts too. My wife uses Angie’s list and I like to hear
the “word of mouth” recommendations. I also try to judge people on
how they answer open-ended questions before saying what I’d like
done. What would you do here? Have you come across a job like this
one before? Etc. http://www.boingboing.net/200709201036.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
It is all my fault because I am a lousy communicator.

snip

Winston, you're probably one of the two people here (the other being Larry)
who is going to recognize an obscure literary reference to Vladimir
Nabokov's memoir. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

snip funny incident...
Grrrr.

--Winston

Coulda been worse, how would you like it if your
house builder did this?

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

technomaNge
--
Due to anticipated high turnout in 2010's election,
the Electorial College has scheduled:

Nov. 1, 2010 All Independents vote.
Nov. 2, 2010 All Republicans vote.
Nov. 3, 2010 All Democrats vote.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/18/2010 5:46 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Buy the idiot a LEVEL, Winnie.

He's got a very nice 4' level.
It worked real well on support posts but somehow
has a problem with grades.

It took me only 3 hours to shovel the overburden
off the original grade. It's gonna work much
better, now.

Did he match it to the actual openable width, at least?

I recovered from that. Walked outside with the sketch.
Looked at the forms. Looked at the sketch.
Looked at landscaper with quizzical grin.

He says "Oh, you want it like *that*?
I smile and nod.

(Remind me: Why did I give him a print to begin with?)

Forms come apart and get reset into nearly proper
position. I now have a place for all my feet and
the landings look very nice.

Grrrr.

But he's licensed and insured, right? Take him up on it and/or don't
finish paying him.

Well, it's all recovered now and very near to plan.
I'm about as happy as I can be.

And now a word about going with the lowest bidder...
(insert implied wisdom of not doing so HERE)

This guy cost me 30% more than the lowest bidder would've.

P.S: You could always take him back to HD and get a refund.

Naah that would have been the *lowest* bidder.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/18/2010 8:27 AM, Denis G. wrote:

(...)

Reputation counts too. My wife uses Angie’s list and I like to hear
the “word of mouth” recommendations. I also try to judge people on
how they answer open-ended questions before saying what I’d like
done. What would you do here? Have you come across a job like this
one before? Etc. http://www.boingboing.net/200709201036.jpg

All the while watching for the schmoozer that repeats
stuff back to you so you think he's understanding.

Grrr.

That Russell guy was brilliant!
http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Bertrand_Russell/

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/18/2010 11:27 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message
It is all my fault because I am a lousy communicator.

snip

Winston, you're probably one of the two people here (the other being Larry)
who is going to recognize an obscure literary reference to Vladimir
Nabokov's memoir.g

You think too much of me Ed.

"Imagination, the supreme delight of the immortal and the immature,
should be limited. In order to enjoy life, we should not enjoy it too much."
-Vladimir Nabokov

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/18/2010 6:42 PM, technomaNge wrote:
Winston wrote:

snip funny incident...
Grrrr.

--Winston

Coulda been worse, how would you like it if your
house builder did this?

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Those are hysterical!

I would've been, too.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
It is all my fault because I am a lousy communicator.

snip

Winston, you're probably one of the two people here (the other being
Larry)
who is going to recognize an obscure literary reference to Vladimir
Nabokov's memoir.g

You think too much of me Ed.

I don't think so. Speak, Memory. d8-)

"Imagination, the supreme delight of the immortal and the immature,
should be limited. In order to enjoy life, we should not enjoy it too
much."
-Vladimir Nabokov

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/18/2010 9:58 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

(...)

I don't think so. Speak, Memory. d8-)

I claim it's completely inadvertent.

Like the time I was invited to a retrospective of
Indian Couture but had a prior commitment and was
heard to observe "Sari".

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
On 3/18/2010 9:58 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

(...)

I don't think so. Speak, Memory. d8-)

I claim it's completely inadvertent.

OK, I believe.

Like the time I was invited to a retrospective of
Indian Couture but had a prior commitment and was
heard to observe "Sari".

--Winston

Something deep inside is controlling you. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:14:10 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

On 3/18/2010 3:58 AM, Joe wrote:
(...)

Grrrr.

--Winston

I say:
Unless you have a signed contract stating differently, you will get
your payment after you have finished the job to my satisfaction.

Good idea!

That's why you always get a written agreement and only pay half the
money as a downpayment--unless the materials cost is more than half
the job price.

If you draw up sketches or computerized plans, have the contractor
initial them as having seen the copy. If he screws the pooch as badly
as this guy did, you'll have something with which to go after him
since he saw what you were after. If he's licensed and bonded,
repayment is immediate. Small Claims Court takes time. (I'm
claim-free and hope to remain that way for as long as I own the
business.)

--
Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:29:21 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

On 3/18/2010 8:27 AM, Denis G. wrote:

(...)

Reputation counts too. My wife uses Angie’s list and I like to hear
the “word of mouth” recommendations. I also try to judge people on
how they answer open-ended questions before saying what I’d like
done. What would you do here? Have you come across a job like this
one before? Etc. http://www.boingboing.net/200709201036.jpg

All the while watching for the schmoozer that repeats
stuff back to you so you think he's understanding.

Grrr.

Those are the worst type, but I thought all of them were busy selling
their special driveway sealant.

That Russell guy was brilliant!
http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Bertrand_Russell/

Ah, a lovely and cynical curmudgeon. I can relate.

--
Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:44:12 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

wrote in message
It is all my fault because I am a lousy communicator.

snip

Winston, you're probably one of the two people here (the other being Larry)
who is going to recognize an obscure literary reference to Vladimir
Nabokov's memoir.g

You think too much of me Ed.

"Imagination, the supreme delight of the immortal and the immature,
should be limited. In order to enjoy life, we should not enjoy it too much."
-Vladimir Nabokov

Don't stand.
Don't stand so.
Don't stand so close to me...
(Sting's words regarding that -other- book by Nabokov)

--
Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/19/2010 9:23 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:14:10 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

(...)

Good idea!

That's why you always get a written agreement and only pay half the
money as a downpayment--unless the materials cost is more than half
the job price.

If you draw up sketches or computerized plans, have the contractor
initial them as having seen the copy. If he screws the pooch as badly
as this guy did, you'll have something with which to go after him
since he saw what you were after. If he's licensed and bonded,
repayment is immediate. Small Claims Court takes time. (I'm
claim-free and hope to remain that way for as long as I own the
business.)

Yeah, this was a little weird but I *am* pleased with the results.

The guy was very good inside his area of expertise, though
someday I'm going to remember that one does not ask a
landscaper to do anything other than landscaping.
(Smacks forehead)

Note to self: No carpentry! No electrical!
But mostly No Plumbing! Dayum.

--Winston

--
Today's retailer is in an awkward position.
He must assuage his visceral need to anger
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/19/2010 9:21 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Something deep inside is controlling you. d8-)

Imagine everyone's confusion at hearing that!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/19/2010 9:30 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:29:21 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

On 3/18/2010 8:27 AM, Denis G. wrote:

(...)

Reputation counts too. My wife uses Angie’s list and I like to hear
the “word of mouth” recommendations. I also try to judge people on
how they answer open-ended questions before saying what I’d like
done. What would you do here? Have you come across a job like this
one before? Etc. http://www.boingboing.net/200709201036.jpg

All the while watching for the schmoozer that repeats
stuff back to you so you think he's understanding.

Grrr.

Those are the worst type, but I thought all of them were busy selling
their special driveway sealant.

This one told me he would work off my .DXFs

I handed him a CD with my sketches.

It totally puzzled me when he called and asked me to measure
some stuff he forgot. (..That was shown on the prints!)

During the middle of the job, he showed up with hardcopies
that had obviously been FAXed to him by someone who could
actually open and print the files.

With some folks, the truth is just a happy coincidence.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/19/2010 2:31 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:30:31 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

(...)

Yup. It happens and you might not find out about it
at a convenient time.

In many states now, if the contractor can put a lien on a house, he
has to first present you with the pamphlet or sheet stating that fact
_before_ starting the work. It's usually work valued at $2,000 or
more. You can also have the contractor sign a lien waiver, but only
if he wants to. Check your state for current practices.

It'd be very convenient to do a lien search on the web occasionally.
I'll have to look into that sometime.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/19/2010 2:36 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Don't stand.
Don't stand so.
Don't stand so close to me...
(Sting's words regarding that -other- book by Nabokov)

The book must be great because the song it inspired is too, IMHO.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:00:15 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

[...]

And this one didn't believe in coincidences, huh? So solly.

--
Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:05:39 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

On 3/19/2010 2:36 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Don't stand.
Don't stand so.
Don't stand so close to me...
(Sting's words regarding that -other- book by Nabokov)

The book must be great because the song it inspired is too, IMHO.

The movie didn't take enough advantage of the subject matter.
domg

--
Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/19/2010 7:51 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:00:15 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

(...)

With some folks, the truth is just a happy coincidence.

And this one didn't believe in coincidences, huh? So solly.

It's a transcendent shock when I catch someone telling the
truth, lately. Present company excepted of course.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:48:28 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

[...]

Some are more capable than others. Get references, go online to check
their licensing and insurance/bond validity, and THEN talk to 'em.
IOW, do your homework, suckah.

Note to self: No carpentry! No electrical!
But mostly No Plumbing! Dayum.

A good landscape company should be well versed and capable in _all_ of
the above. shrug

--
Today's retailer is in an awkward position.
He must assuage his visceral need to anger
some of his clients while having to delight
them sufficiently to guarantee repeat business.

bseg

--
Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/19/2010 7:59 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:05:39 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

On 3/19/2010 2:36 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Don't stand.
Don't stand so.
Don't stand so close to me...
(Sting's words regarding that -other- book by Nabokov)

The book must be great because the song it inspired is too, IMHO.

The movie didn't take enough advantage of the subject matter.
domg

I suspect the subject matter doesn't want to be taken advantage of.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/19/2010 9:07 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:48:28 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

(...)

Note to self: No carpentry! No electrical!
But mostly No Plumbing! Dayum.

A good landscape company should be well versed and capable in _all_ of
the above.shrug

A week after the completion of hardscape in the front yard,
the doorbell rang. A very nice lady pointed at various plants,
fresh potting soil and a *lot* of water that were proceeding
down the driveway.

She indicated that one normally expects to see these items
remaining fixed in relation to one other and implied
that I might investigate why they insisted on an eastbound
trajectory instead of the more traditional stasis.

I thanked her and shut off the main house valve.

The plants, soil and water continued their journey.

I zipped into the garage and snapped up the street valve
wrench. After shutting off the street valve, the
mini tsunami subsided at last.

My dear landscaper friends had placed a compression tee
in the main water line to the house, upstream
of the shutoff.
Naturally, their joint failed, causing the gusher.

Only a week later, I replaced the plastic pipe running
underneath all the very expensive hard scape to the
street valve and spliced the irrigation system into the
*irrigation feed valve the landscapers had ignored*.

It's worked well for about 7 years but you can bet I wonder
what other surprises lurk.

(Shudder)

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 21:04:28 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

On 3/19/2010 7:51 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:00:15 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

(...)

With some folks, the truth is just a happy coincidence.

And this one didn't believe in coincidences, huh? So solly.

It's a transcendent shock when I catch someone telling the
truth, lately. Present company excepted of course.

I go through periods like that (thinking that everyone's lying),
usually after reading about our CONgresscritters (both sides of the
aisle), Democrats, or reading almost any newspaper or internet story.
sigh The feelings instantly lessened when I quit watching TV 3
years ago.

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 21:54:17 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

[...]

It's a good thing that you had one. Um, why DID you have one?

My dear landscaper friends had placed a compression tee
in the main water line to the house, upstream
of the shutoff.
Naturally, their joint failed, causing the gusher.

Oh, crap!

Only a week later, I replaced the plastic pipe running
underneath all the very expensive hard scape to the
street valve and spliced the irrigation system into the
*irrigation feed valve the landscapers had ignored*.

It's worked well for about 7 years but you can bet I wonder
what other surprises lurk.

(Shudder)

Well, at least it hasn't interrupted your Easter egg hunts...yet.

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.
-- Samuel Butler
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/20/2010 6:00 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

The feelings instantly lessened when I quit watching TV 3
years ago.

I want the patience and moral strength necessary to stop
watching television and I want them RIGHT NOW!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/20/2010 6:04 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 21:54:17 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

(...)

I zipped into the garage and snapped up the street valve
wrench. After shutting off the street valve, the
mini tsunami subsided at last.

It's a good thing that you had one. Um, why DID you have one?

Larry, I'm shocked. It is a tool, so why wouldn't I have one?

(Side story: During the repairs to the back patio, the
contractor parked his skid steer between my house and the
next door neighbor who is a great guy that I help with
mechanical stuff occasionally. So I'm talking with my
neighbor and he looks at the skid steer and says "Did you
buy that for your project? It wouldn't surprise me."

That still cracks me up!

I can stop lusting after tools any time I want, though.

And no, the contractor wouldn't let me drive the loader
around. Grr.

(...)

It's worked well for about 7 years but you can bet I wonder
what other surprises lurk.

(Shudder)

Well, at least it hasn't interrupted your Easter egg hunts...yet.

Watch This Space.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston writes:

On 3/20/2010 6:00 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

The feelings instantly lessened when I quit watching TV 3
years ago.

I want the patience and moral strength necessary to stop
watching television and I want them RIGHT NOW!

What patience? What moral strength? There just isn't anything to
watch...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques writes:

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 21:54:17 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

I zipped into the garage and snapped up the street valve
wrench. After shutting off the street valve, the
mini tsunami subsided at last.

It's a good thing that you had one. Um, why DID you have one?

Doesn't everyone? Heck, my house doesn't even have a main valve apart
from the one at the meter. I need to shut it off there to replace a
faucet.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/20/2010 9:41 PM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
writes:

On 3/20/2010 6:00 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

The feelings instantly lessened when I quit watching TV 3
years ago.

I want the patience and moral strength necessary to stop
watching television and I want them RIGHT NOW!

What patience? What moral strength? There just isn't anything to
watch...

Yup, I shake myself awake after a 3 hour marathon and
decide that there really *wasn't* anything to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5scpDev1qps

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 21:23:56 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

On 3/20/2010 6:04 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 21:54:17 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

(...)

I zipped into the garage and snapped up the street valve
wrench. After shutting off the street valve, the
mini tsunami subsided at last.

It's a good thing that you had one. Um, why DID you have one?

Larry, I'm shocked. It is a tool, so why wouldn't I have one?

Easy answer: Because you're not a landscaper or city Public Works
"worker" (must use that term loosely around govvy jobs.)

(Side story: During the repairs to the back patio, the
contractor parked his skid steer between my house and the
next door neighbor who is a great guy that I help with
mechanical stuff occasionally. So I'm talking with my
neighbor and he looks at the skid steer and says "Did you
buy that for your project? It wouldn't surprise me."

That still cracks me up!

I can stop lusting after tools any time I want, though.

And no, the contractor wouldn't let me drive the loader
around. Grr.

I'm going to rent one for myself some day. They're only $150 a day,
so it's cheaper than a pair of fresh HD trabajadors, who might be able
to do the same amount of work in one day.

oh****...