Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Atten: Iggy grinders

My brother in MA is looking for a used non Chinese grinder. Probably
Baldor or possible a low speed Tormek, You got anything that could be
shipped to MA?
You can respond here or to my email. It's valid.
Thanks
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 10, 4:27*pm, Ignoramus4595
On 2012-02-10, wrote:

My brother in MA is looking for a used non Chinese grinder. Probably
Baldor or possible a low speed Tormek, You got anything that could be
shipped to MA?
You can respond here or to my email. It's valid.
Thanks
Karl

I have one, a 3/4 HP grinder. Looks USA made.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 10, 5:27*am, Ignoramus4595
On 2012-02-10, wrote:

My brother in MA is looking for a used non Chinese grinder. Probably
Baldor or possible a low speed Tormek, You got anything that could be
shipped to MA?
You can respond here or to my email. It's valid.
Thanks
Karl

I have one, a 3/4 HP grinder. Looks USA made.

I send my brother an email to see if he's interested. Does your
business have a website?
Thanks
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"The Kid" just burned up his horrible fright grinder...

Iggy, if you get another, contact me.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 17:37:42 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 18:36:43 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

"The Kid" just burned up his horrible fright grinder...

Karl, no offense intended, but does he know how to use one?

I've seen grown men go at them as if they were 30hp, filling up the
wheel with molten metal, and then pushing the workpiece in so hard it
slowed the motor down to a crawl. The result is that the magic smoke
is released.

Its a safe bet he pushed it too hard. He always pushed my stuff too
hard when he was at home. Just part of being young.

He still needs a better one.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"The Kid" just burned up his horrible fright grinder...

Karl, no offense intended, but does he know how to use one?

I've seen grown men go at them as if they were 30hp, filling up the
wheel with molten metal, and then pushing the workpiece in so hard it
slowed the motor down to a crawl. The result is that the magic smoke
is released.

Does The Kid use the proper grit wheel for the type of material he's
grinding, 8" for heavier work, etc.?

I think I've seen more abuse done to grinders than any other tool in
the shop. Shoving large pieces into the side of the wheel, dousing
the workpiece and wheel with a gallon of water while the grinder was
running, never dress the wheel, etc. It has never ceased to amaze me.

I switched to a belt sander for most of my grinding work which can't
be down with an angle grinder or air body grinder, so I don't even own
a regular grinder any more.

--
To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves...
We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"The Kid" just burned up his horrible fright grinder...

Karl, no offense intended, but does he know how to use one?

I've seen grown men go at them as if they were 30hp, filling up the
wheel with molten metal, and then pushing the workpiece in so hard it
slowed the motor down to a crawl. The result is that the magic smoke
is released.

Its a safe bet he pushed it too hard. He always pushed my stuff too
hard when he was at home. Just part of being young.

BTDT, got the tee.

He still needs a better one.

And perhaps a bit of fatherly advice and instruction.

--
To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves...
We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is
here--with its gift of energy and heightened awareness--so we can do our
best and learn the most in the new situation.
Peter McWilliams, Life 101
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"The Kid" just burned up his horrible fright grinder...

Karl, no offense intended, but does he know how to use one?

I've seen grown men go at them as if they were 30hp, filling up the
wheel with molten metal, and then pushing the workpiece in so hard it
slowed the motor down to a crawl. The result is that the magic smoke
is released.

Its a safe bet he pushed it too hard. He always pushed my stuff too
hard when he was at home. Just part of being young.

BTDT, got the tee.

He still needs a better one.

And perhaps a bit of fatherly advice and instruction.

and then there are unstoppable grinders, 3 to 5 hp. very dangerous.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote

Its a safe bet he pushed it too hard. He always pushed my stuff too
hard when he was at home. Just part of being young.

He still needs a better one.

Karl

I don't push tools, but my import angle grinders overheat within 5 minutes.
They are good only for details that the USA grinder's 7" disk can't reach.
Usually I have them set up to dig out flux pockets, wire-brush beads for
inspection, get closer into corners, etc.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 11, 9:29*pm, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:

I don't push tools, but my import angle grinders overheat within 5 minutes.
They are good only for details that the USA grinder's 7" disk can't reach..
Usually I have them set up to dig out flux pockets, wire-brush beads for
inspection, get closer into corners, etc.

jsw

On the other hand the import grinders are cheap enough that you can
afford to have two. And switch to a cool one after several minutes of
grinding. I personally like having a 9 inch grinder and a 4 1/2 inch
grinder and using the big grinder to get things close and the small
grinder too get things right.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote
On Feb 11, 9:29 pm, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:

I don't push tools, but my import angle grinders overheat within 5
minutes.
They are good only for details that the USA grinder's 7" disk can't reach.
Usually I have them set up to dig out flux pockets, wire-brush beads for
inspection, get closer into corners, etc.
jsw

-On the other hand the import grinders are cheap enough that you can
-afford to have two. And switch to a cool one after several minutes of
-grinding. I personally like having a 9 inch grinder and a 4 1/2 inch
-grinder and using the big grinder to get things close and the small
-grinder too get things right.
-Dan

Me, too, and they are both US brands that don't heat up in continuous use. I
also have a cheapo Makita-clone electric die grinder to grind inside
corners.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 06:16:57 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Feb 11, 9:29*pm, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:

I don't push tools, but my import angle grinders overheat within 5 minutes.
They are good only for details that the USA grinder's 7" disk can't reach.
Usually I have them set up to dig out flux pockets, wire-brush beads for
inspection, get closer into corners, etc.

jsw

On the other hand the import grinders are cheap enough that you can
afford to have two. And switch to a cool one after several minutes of
grinding. I personally like having a 9 inch grinder and a 4 1/2 inch
grinder and using the big grinder to get things close and the small
grinder too get things right.

Dan

On the third hand..there are Import Grinders..and then there are import
grinders. Ive got 7 grinders in my shop. 2 are American made, 4 are
Japanese/Taiwanese..only one is mainland China..a true "import grinder"
and is only suitable for polishing

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote

-On the other hand the import grinders are cheap enough that you can
-afford to have two. And switch to a cool one after several minutes of
-grinding. I personally like having a 9 inch grinder and a 4 1/2 inch
-grinder and using the big grinder to get things close and the small
-grinder too get things right.
-Dan

You must be strong. I had a 9" grinder for awhile. Too heavy. I
went to a 7".

Sine Bar for setting lathe tapers -Atten Nick Mueller Leon Fisk Metalworking 8 March 10th 19 05:11 PM
Atten: Gunner and anyone else with info need suggestions for a matchgrade air rifle [email protected] Metalworking 2 February 27th 09 08:56 AM
Atten Tom Gardner Turnkey,.. XY positioning with motors and controllers. Gunner[_2_] Metalworking 7 May 9th 08 08:42 PM
die grinders SteveB Metalworking 9 October 3rd 05 03:02 PM
grinders Vrstull Metalworking 6 December 29th 04 02:39 AM