Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stop spamming bolt heads!

No, this isn't a message to the spammers in this group. I just wish
they made carriage and step bolts without markings on the heads. A
bolt in Home Depot looked like it was marked with the initials of the
company. Is it so weird for someone to want it to look nice? Like
maybe for an outdoor bench, or the shelves I'm trying to build, where
a smooth, round headed bolt would work if not for the markings. I
found smooth headed grommet nuts, intended as door hardware, that work
for part of my shelves (after I go through the trouble of counter
boring the holes somehow, with a hand drill), but I may end up buying
step bolts for another part, and I'll have to remove the number that's
on the head. I guess with a file. I'm not sure a rotary wire brush
would work. I can keep track of the product number without having my
bolt heads defaced!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 22:43:54 -0800 (PST), Barry
wrote:

No, this isn't a message to the spammers in this group. I just wish
they made carriage and step bolts without markings on the heads. A
bolt in Home Depot looked like it was marked with the initials of the
company. Is it so weird for someone to want it to look nice? Like
maybe for an outdoor bench, or the shelves I'm trying to build, where
a smooth, round headed bolt would work if not for the markings. I
found smooth headed grommet nuts, intended as door hardware, that work
for part of my shelves (after I go through the trouble of counter
boring the holes somehow, with a hand drill), but I may end up buying
step bolts for another part, and I'll have to remove the number that's
on the head. I guess with a file. I'm not sure a rotary wire brush
would work. I can keep track of the product number without having my
bolt heads defaced!

The bolt head markings will protect you in the event of a serious bench
collapse and injuries of the passengers.

Gunner
VBG

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

No, this isn't a message to the spammers in this group. I just wish
they made carriage and step bolts without markings on the heads. A
bolt in Home Depot looked like it was marked with the initials of the
company. Is it so weird for someone to want it to look nice? Like
maybe for an outdoor bench, or the shelves I'm trying to build, where
a smooth, round headed bolt would work if not for the markings. I
found smooth headed grommet nuts, intended as door hardware, that work
for part of my shelves (after I go through the trouble of counter
boring the holes somehow, with a hand drill), but I may end up buying
step bolts for another part, and I'll have to remove the number that's
on the head. I guess with a file. I'm not sure a rotary wire brush
would work. I can keep track of the product number without having my
bolt heads defaced!

I believe it is federal law that all bolts need identifiying markings.

Remove 333 to reply