Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cox TD Crankshaft

Some actual metalworking:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/TD09_crank_pin.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...ront_valve.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/TD09_two_cranks.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...nk_in_case.jpg

This is a Cox TD 09 that came to me with a warped cylinder and a bent
connecting rod. Since I have ambitions to build my own engines, and
since engine parts are hard to find for these, I figured I'd just build a
cylinder, piston, and rod, and be happy. Then I found out the crank
shaft was bent, too.

In a moment of supreme shade-tree mechanic-itis, I whacked the crank pin
trying to straighten it (on the grounds that the thing was trashed
anyway). It broke, which is what you see in the shot of the two cranks.

Next item on the agenda: a prop driver. Then I can get back to making a
piston for this critter.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 22:29:52 -0600, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Some actual metalworking:

WHAT?, this group is for all sort of BS now. I just looked. Downloaded
nine new topics. Only this one had any swarf in it. You're out of step
VBG

In a moment of supreme shade-tree mechanic-itis, I whacked the crank pin
trying to straighten it (on the grounds that the thing was trashed
anyway). It broke, which is what you see in the shot of the two cranks.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Next item on the agenda: a prop driver. Then I can get back to making a
piston for this critter.

What are your plans for the driver?

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Tim Wescott wrote:

[...]

Just a thought... while parts may be difficult to find, they aren't
impossible. I haven't looked recently, they show up on eBay once in a
while, as does everything else.

I'd try setting up a bunch of 'saved searches' in/on your 'my ebay'
page... there by letting it notify you whenever anything of interest is
listed.

I well remember those TD's... they really scream! Seems I remember
reading that cox hand selected part combinations for each individual
engine build-up... IIRC, the piston/cylinder selection was aided by an
air leakage test of some sort; similar to a differential compression
test I suppose.

Anyway, Good Luck!

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Some actual metalworking:

WHAT?, this group is for all sort of BS now. I just looked. Downloaded
nine new topics. Only this one had any swarf in it. You're out of step
VBG

In a moment of supreme shade-tree mechanic-itis, I whacked the crank
pin trying to straighten it (on the grounds that the thing was trashed
anyway). It broke, which is what you see in the shot of the two
cranks.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Next item on the agenda: a prop driver. Then I can get back to making
a piston for this critter.

What are your plans for the driver?

Karl

Since you folks are interested in them and might have an idea, What
would an Allyn Sea Fury Outboard be worth? I have one that is missing a
few pieces (prop driver disc, the toothed spring strip for directional
control and one of the clamping screws. Also have a Cox .074 and a .049
as well as an odd car motor with a 4 screw case and large gear flywheel
with fan.

The Sea Fury runs, so does the .074. The other two are probably parts
motors.

I'm not up on prices, other than if the Sea Fury were complete it would
probably be worth $20 to $50 just for what it does, not as a Valuable
Antique. Whether it's worth $5 or $500 as a Valuable Antique -- I dunno.

I'd look on eBay, and be sensitive to the subtleties that make these
things collector's items. Or, I'd give them to a friend that cared.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 06:03:55 -0800, Erik wrote:

In article ,
Tim Wescott wrote:

[...]

The primary goal of this exercise is to learn to build engines without
doing the whole damn thing all at once. This ambition took a severe blow
with the discovery of the bent crankshaft -- but hey, I'm learning more.

If I just wanted a working TD 09, I could buy one complete on the Bay.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Some actual metalworking:

WHAT?, this group is for all sort of BS now. I just looked. Downloaded
nine new topics. Only this one had any swarf in it. You're out of step
VBG

In a moment of supreme shade-tree mechanic-itis, I whacked the crank pin
trying to straighten it (on the grounds that the thing was trashed
anyway). It broke, which is what you see in the shot of the two cranks.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Next item on the agenda: a prop driver. Then I can get back to making a
piston for this critter.

What are your plans for the driver?

Conical on the outside, out to about 5/8" at the prop. Conical on the
inside, to match the crankshaft. A circle of spotted holes in lieu of
knurling, because Santa has adamantly refused to bring me machine tools
for Christmas.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com