Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Small Progress on the 8.5 x 18 Lathe

I took the cross slide and saddle all apart yesterday. I probably knocked
out about 1/4 cup of sawdust. Then I cleaned, oiled and re-assembled
adjusting everything as I went.

Its pretty stiff now, but its also pretty rigid. It's a LOT better than the
7 x 10 on the other work bench. I did some thread cutting with it this
morning, and its not bad. I may not use a die on some types of jobs ever
again. I won't be making precision lead screws with it, but for rough work
like screw on rod handles it's the bomb. Takes about the same amount of
time, and no stress.

It might even be able to turn out a passable bushing or two if I squint just
right when I measure the work piece.