Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help Wanted

ATN: Occupy Deadbeats, get a job.
DENVER-Ferrie Bailey's job should be easy: hiring workers amid the worst
stretch of unemployment since the Depression.

A recruiter for Union Pacific Corp., she has openings to fill, the kind that
sometimes seem to have all but vanished: secure, well-paying jobs with good
benefits that don't require a college degree.

"There's a tremendous shortage of skilled workers," said Craig Giffi, a vice
chairman of the consulting firm Deloitte. A recent survey it did found that
83% of manufacturers reported a moderate or severe shortage of skilled
production workers to hire.

AAR Corp., a Chicago-based aviation-parts manufacturer, has 600 job
openings, mostly for skilled trade jobs like welders and maintenance
mechanics. Chief Executive David Storch said the shortage of workers has
forced the company to pass up business and delay some manufacturing work. He
said the company would like to start a third shift at its Indianapolis
aircraft maintenance facility but has been unable to do so because of worker
shortages.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...035955166.html

Bset Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

azotic wrote:
ATN: Occupy Deadbeats, get a job.
DENVER-Ferrie Bailey's job should be easy: hiring workers amid the worst
stretch of unemployment since the Depression.

A recruiter for Union Pacific Corp., she has openings to fill, the kind
that sometimes seem to have all but vanished: secure, well-paying jobs
with good benefits that don't require a college degree.

How many more skilled workers will industry
and state government have to kill off before
this problem goes away?

--Winston --Let's not over complicate this.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:07:47 -0800, azotic wrote:

[...]

SB10001424052970203707504577010080035955166.html

I watched a program a year or two ago -- I can't remember what channel, I
don't watch TV as a rule. It was a special report on how industry
couldn't get skilled workers even in this economy.

They interviewed three or four management types. There was lots of
whining about not getting the workers they needed. NOT ONE of these guys
talked about taking less-skilled young go-getters and MAKING skilled
workers out of them-- they just bitched about how mama government wasn't
flopping her tit in their faces and inviting them to suckle.

I'm sure they weren't representative of the folks who are _really_
getting the job done.

But my sympathy is very -- measured.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-30, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

My sympathy is even more measured, considering that they are looking
to fill a third shift, the worst time to be at work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 29, 7:40*pm, Ignoramus19453 ignoramus19...@NOSPAM.
On 2011-11-30, Tim Wescott wrote:

[...]

The shipyard here apprentices people.
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/29/2011 11:07 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:

They interviewed three or four management types. There was lots of
whining about not getting the workers they needed. NOT ONE of these guys
talked about taking less-skilled young go-getters and MAKING skilled
workers out of them-- they just bitched about how mama government wasn't
flopping her tit in their faces and inviting them to suckle.

Translation: "we want somebody with years of experience and a good work
history of doing this very job, but since they're new here, they'll have
to start off at the bottom wage scale."

~
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 23:40:23 -0600, Ignoramus19453
wrote:

On 2011-11-30, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

Shrug..I prefer 3rd shift..or as we call it.."morning tower"

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus19453 wrote:

My sympathy is even more measured, considering that they are looking
to fill a third shift, the worst time to be at work.

Maybe for you. Some people are at their peak efficiency at those
hours. The other benefits are that it's easier to shop or go to a
doctor without missing work. I worked second or third shift most of my
life, and I loved it. Another advantage is that there are few phone
calls and less people around to distract you from your work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 07:37:13 -0600, DougC wrote:

On 11/29/2011 11:07 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:

They interviewed three or four management types. There was lots of
whining about not getting the workers they needed. NOT ONE of these
guys talked about taking less-skilled young go-getters and MAKING
skilled workers out of them-- they just bitched about how mama
government wasn't flopping her tit in their faces and inviting them to
suckle.

Translation: "we want somebody with years of experience and a good work
history of doing this very job, but since they're new here, they'll have
to start off at the bottom wage scale."

More or less. Except for the one or two guys who were complaining that
the gov'ment wasn't shoving enough people through community colleges and
vocational schools.

I suspect that they were complaining about high taxes, too.

I also suspect that the folks who _do_ hire motivated youngsters or
career-changing retreads and train them up were too busy making money to
get interviewed. Like the shipyard that Karl mentioned.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DougC wrote:
On 11/29/2011 11:07 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:

They interviewed three or four management types. There was lots of
whining about not getting the workers they needed. NOT ONE of these guys
talked about taking less-skilled young go-getters and MAKING skilled
workers out of them-- they just bitched about how mama government wasn't
flopping her tit in their faces and inviting them to suckle.

Translation: "we want somebody (that hasn't had their 25th birthday yet)
with years of experience and a good work history of doing this very job,
(willing to commit felonies on behalf of the senior management),
but since they're new here, they'll have to start off at the bottom
wage scale."

I fixed that for you.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Wed, 30 Nov 2011 06:05:47 -0800

My sympathy is even more measured, considering that they are looking
to fill a third shift, the worst time to be at work.

Shrug..I prefer 3rd shift..or as we call it.."morning tower"

I'd like Day shift, or a "real" night shift (10 PM to six),
followed by swings. But too often, your choice is Day shift or
'Nights' and 4 tens. Which means if you are on "night" shift - you
get the worse of swings _and_ graveyard shift.
But as much as I'd like Day shift with a Six hour work day, and a
four day week - people in Hell want ice water.
Besides, on swings, you don't have the suits around.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
[...]

The same applies here in Australia. All the industries that are whining
about a lack of skilled tradesmen are the ones that laid off their
apprentices at the first sign of a downturn in their sales. Now they want to
import supposedly shilled labout from India and China. At the next slow
down, they will lay them off and the taxpayers will foot the bill for their
dole money.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:07:47 -0800, "azotic"
wrote:

snip
"There's a tremendous shortage of skilled workers," said Craig Giffi, a vice
chairman of the consulting firm Deloitte. A recent survey it did found that
83% of manufacturers reported a moderate or severe shortage of skilled
production workers to hire.

snip

So sad -- too bad. What goes around comes around...

The companies should have thought about this before they
canned all their workers.

If the companies sold all their machines and equipment for
scrap to keep the executive bonuses coming, who would have
the slightest sympathy for their problems when they could no
longer produce anything. Why is it any different when they
"scrap" their trained and experienced employees.

As a follow-on, if you could get a job somewhere else, why
would you go to work for a company that historically regards
their employees as expendable cost items?

Why are workers now expected to flock to these companies
just because they need trained and talented employees, and
why are the taxpayers now expected to pay to train/educate
another crop of suckers, er... new employees for them?

IMNSHO it would be far better for the Republic for these
fast buck exploitative and short-term oriented companies to
go out of business to make room for productive enterprises
with a long-term commitments to their stake holders and
communities.

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 13:00:40 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Ignoramus19453 wrote:

My sympathy is even more measured, considering that they are looking
to fill a third shift, the worst time to be at work.

Maybe for you. Some people are at their peak efficiency at those
hours. The other benefits are that it's easier to shop or go to a
doctor without missing work. I worked second or third shift most of my
life, and I loved it. Another advantage is that there are few phone
calls and less people around to distract you from your work.

Well said!

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus19453 wrote:

My sympathy is even more measured, considering that they are looking
to fill a third shift, the worst time to be at work.

Maybe for you. Some people are at their peak efficiency at those
hours. The other benefits are that it's easier to shop or go to a
doctor without missing work. I worked second or third shift most of my
life, and I loved it. Another advantage is that there are few phone
calls and less people around to distract you from your work.

Well said!

I was more than twice as productive without all the interuptions when
repairing CATV equipment in the '80s.

Wanted to Buy... wolfgang Metalworking 0 July 8th 10 06:35 PM
Wanted to Buy Billy[_5_] Woodworking 2 February 10th 09 03:42 PM
OT; Always wanted one... The Medway Handyman UK diy 3 September 13th 08 06:15 PM
Yew wanted moyo Woodworking 7 October 2nd 03 04:18 PM