Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Oily waste and used oil disposal

I am seeking input mostly from business owners and people with direct
experience on the matter of oily stuff.

My business produces some oily stuff small quantities (say 3 gallons
per month), such as

1) Used oil, like hydraulic, engine oil, etc
2) Oily rags
3) Oily cat litter
4) Miscellaneous non-oil petroleum stuff, like dirty kerosene,
cleaning solvent etc.

I want to make sure that I do not go to prison.

I think that I can take used oil to Autozone and the like, without big
problems.

As far as I understand, oily rags can be disposed of in
landfills. Petroleum oil is perfectly bidegradable. Same probably
applies to cat litter.

The question is what can I legally do with item 4. Should I just save
it in a barrel and have some disposal company empty it out every
couple years?

What do you do with oily stuff?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus29401" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.epa.state.il.us/

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus29401 wrote:
[...]

Used oil goes to my neighbors shop, he has a waste oil furnace to heat
the place. Takes pretty much anything from used 90 weight down to
turbine oil and kerosene isn't a problem.

Oily cat litter gets sent to him as well, he uses it in the filter for
the furnace, then sends it out.

Oily rags go to the local industrial laundry that I have a contract
with. I'll drop by and drop off 200 and P/U 200 about once a month.
That way they get to deal with it.

BUT your place will be a business, in a different state and that puts
you under a different set of laws.
As such you had better get everything done legally. OSHA, DOT, and the
DOH all cover portions of your question.
Fines are VERY large for "OOPS, I didn't know that" violations.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 19:56:34 -0600, Ignoramus29401
wrote:

I am seeking input mostly from business owners and people with direct
experience on the matter of oily stuff.

My business produces some oily stuff small quantities (say 3 gallons
per month), such as

1) Used oil, like hydraulic, engine oil, etc
2) Oily rags
3) Oily cat litter
4) Miscellaneous non-oil petroleum stuff, like dirty kerosene,
cleaning solvent etc.

I want to make sure that I do not go to prison.

Try the state epa laws:

http://www.epa.state.il.us/small-business/used-oil/

I think that I can take used oil to Autozone and the like, without big
problems.

Right.

As far as I understand, oily rags can be disposed of in
landfills. Petroleum oil is perfectly bidegradable. Same probably
applies to cat litter.

Check with the site above.

The question is what can I legally do with item 4. Should I just save
it in a barrel and have some disposal company empty it out every
couple years?

No, it can be more heavily regulated if you keep it around, both for
storage and for quantity.

What do you do with oily stuff?

Oil: Recycle it at the lube places.

Chemicals and paint: free disposal days at the local Sanitation
company lot.

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Small quantities of solvents like that in #4 can usually be disposed of at
local household hazardous waste collection centers. Naperville has one that
is open at least one day a month but you might be able to find one closer to
you or the warehouse. Be very sure that you don't inappropriately dispose
of oil containing PCBs (polychloro biphenyls). The fines for dumping that
illegally can really ruin your day. With the amount of scrounging and
auction buying you do that is always a possibility. It used to be used in
transformers so watch out for it in any of those you collect.

will we use a waste disposal unit???? misterroy UK diy 6 March 6th 09 03:45 PM
waste disposal units gazz UK diy 9 October 1st 08 09:16 AM
Waste disposal units. Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk UK diy 4 December 5th 04 01:11 PM
Waste Disposal Kevin UK diy 7 July 29th 04 01:27 PM
FS: Waste disposal unit Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 0 April 2nd 04 10:36 AM