Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Made a new, larger milling enclosure

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...rge-Enclosure/

This one is much bigger than my old one, made of 1/4" Lexan
(polycarbonate), glued and the front piece locks in place, by
interlocking with sides (see pictures).

Tomorrow, I will receive 1" square polycarbonate tubing and will glue
those pieces into the rear corners of the enclosure, for extra
stiffness. This would help prevent the glued joints from breaking when
I take the enclosure out or put it back in.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 00:46:32 -0500, Ignoramus24811
wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...rge-Enclosure/

This one is much bigger than my old one, made of 1/4" Lexan
(polycarbonate), glued and the front piece locks in place, by
interlocking with sides (see pictures).

Tomorrow, I will receive 1" square polycarbonate tubing and will glue
those pieces into the rear corners of the enclosure, for extra
stiffness. This would help prevent the glued joints from breaking when
I take the enclosure out or put it back in.

Very nicely done! Bravo!

Im curious..will you be posting a picture of the enclosure after the
first part gets away from you and leaves the vise at high speed as well?

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Im curious..will you be posting a picture of the enclosure after the
first part gets away from you and leaves the vise at high speed as well

He's already taken care of that Gunner.

If you read the sign on the wall, it says, "THINK! This machine has no
brain. Use your own."

I'm just wondering... how often should one expect properly mounted and
fixtured parts to "leave the vise at high speed"?

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...rge-Enclosure/

This one is much bigger than my old one, made of 1/4" Lexan
(polycarbonate), glued and the front piece locks in place, by
interlocking with sides (see pictures).

Tomorrow, I will receive 1" square polycarbonate tubing and will glue
those pieces into the rear corners of the enclosure, for extra
stiffness. This would help prevent the glued joints from breaking when
I take the enclosure out or put it back in.

Very nicely done! Bravo!

Im curious..will you be posting a picture of the enclosure after the
first part gets away from you and leaves the vise at high speed as well?

Thanks. I actually tried beating a leftover 1/4" thick piece with a
steel bar. The piece would not shatter. This is a good enough test.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-05, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Im curious..will you be posting a picture of the enclosure after the
first part gets away from you and leaves the vise at high speed as well

He's already taken care of that Gunner.

If you read the sign on the wall, it says, "THINK! This machine has no
brain. Use your own."

I'm just wondering... how often should one expect properly mounted and
fixtured parts to "leave the vise at high speed"?

It happened to me, once. It was a aluminum sheet, held horizontally.
My CNC program removed most of its inside area, and the vise no longer
held the piece well. It came out of the vise, partially IIRC. A lesson
learned. I was able to E-stop the machine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...rge-Enclosure/

This one is much bigger than my old one, made of 1/4" Lexan
(polycarbonate), glued and the front piece locks in place, by
interlocking with sides (see pictures).

Tomorrow, I will receive 1" square polycarbonate tubing and will glue
those pieces into the rear corners of the enclosure, for extra
stiffness. This would help prevent the glued joints from breaking when
I take the enclosure out or put it back in.

Very nicely done! Bravo!

Im curious..will you be posting a picture of the enclosure after the
first part gets away from you and leaves the vise at high speed as well?

Thanks. I actually tried beating a leftover 1/4" thick piece with a
steel bar. The piece would not shatter. This is a good enough test.

Polycarbonate is susceptible to environmental stress cracking. Keep
the solvents away, and keep an eye on it. It can go brittle in a
hurry.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus8111 fired this volley in
:

It happened to me, once. It was a aluminum sheet, held horizontally.
My CNC program removed most of its inside area, and the vise no longer
held the piece well. It came out of the vise, partially IIRC. A lesson
learned. I was able to E-stop the machine.

Not for nothin', Ig, but 1)vises aren't for sheet metal, unless you're
only doing small ops on them that won't weaken the sheet AND they're
properly squared-up to the jaws and backed up with a waste block; and 2)
such "flatwork" should ordinarily be mounted on a waste sheet with bed
clamping, not a vise, AND holding tabs should be part of the layout, so
loose pieces don't climb the bit.

Neither your recollection nor Gunner's dig at all convinces me that a
properly thought out clamping of work is conducive to sending pieces
flying.

About the only "clamping" method I've been disappointed in was the highly
touted double-stick mounting tape made for the purpose. It often lets go
of pieces that have been cut free when up-flute tooling is used on small
parts.

BTW... I made a Lexan splatter box, too, only mine seats via slots in the
bottom edges to headed fasteners around the bed (inside the coolant
channels, but outside the machined area of the bed). The four walls are
held together by just two threaded rods with speednuts on the ends facing
the operator. I have a really big vise that is much longer than the Y
axis of the bed when fully open. So, the front sheet has a cutout and
adjustable inserts so that the vise can protrude all the way through the
front sheet without allowing coolant and chips to come through.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Keillor fired this volley in
:

Polycarbonate is susceptible to environmental stress cracking. Keep
the solvents away, and keep an eye on it. It can go brittle in a
hurry.

Most lubes won't hurt it, but _anything_ with a chlorinated component can
cause it collapse into "kibbles" in seconds.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-05, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Pete Keillor fired this volley in
:

Polycarbonate is susceptible to environmental stress cracking. Keep
the solvents away, and keep an eye on it. It can go brittle in a
hurry.

Most lubes won't hurt it, but _anything_ with a chlorinated component can
cause it collapse into "kibbles" in seconds.

What about chlorinated tapping lubricants?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-05, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus8111 fired this volley in
:

It happened to me, once. It was a aluminum sheet, held horizontally.
My CNC program removed most of its inside area, and the vise no longer
held the piece well. It came out of the vise, partially IIRC. A lesson
learned. I was able to E-stop the machine.

Not for nothin', Ig, but 1)vises aren't for sheet metal, unless you're
only doing small ops on them that won't weaken the sheet AND they're
properly squared-up to the jaws and backed up with a waste block; and 2)
such "flatwork" should ordinarily be mounted on a waste sheet with bed
clamping, not a vise, AND holding tabs should be part of the layout, so
loose pieces don't climb the bit.

I agree 100%. I learned my lesson.

Neither your recollection nor Gunner's dig at all convinces me that a
properly thought out clamping of work is conducive to sending pieces
flying.

I agree.

About the only "clamping" method I've been disappointed in was the highly
touted double-stick mounting tape made for the purpose. It often lets go
of pieces that have been cut free when up-flute tooling is used on small
parts.

BTW... I made a Lexan splatter box, too, only mine seats via slots in the
bottom edges to headed fasteners around the bed (inside the coolant
channels, but outside the machined area of the bed). The four walls are
held together by just two threaded rods with speednuts on the ends facing
the operator. I have a really big vise that is much longer than the Y
axis of the bed when fully open. So, the front sheet has a cutout and
adjustable inserts so that the vise can protrude all the way through the
front sheet without allowing coolant and chips to come through.

I am happy with what I have, it is easy to open and easy to close. It
contains the vise 100%. My old enclosure was fine too, but it was
smaller and did not contain the rotary table.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus8111 fired this volley in
:

What about chlorinated tapping lubricants?

I can't tell you which ones won't affect it, but I know that
trichlorethylene will destroy it faster than you can say "whoops!".

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 06:22:46 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Im curious..will you be posting a picture of the enclosure after the
first part gets away from you and leaves the vise at high speed as well

He's already taken care of that Gunner.

If you read the sign on the wall, it says, "THINK! This machine has no
brain. Use your own."

I'm just wondering... how often should one expect properly mounted and
fixtured parts to "leave the vise at high speed"?

Just often enough to wish you'd listened to Scotty when he specced
1/16" transparent aluminum instead of that 1/4" lexan?

--
You do not need a parachute to skydive.
You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-05, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus8111 fired this volley in
:

What about chlorinated tapping lubricants?

I can't tell you which ones won't affect it, but I know that
trichlorethylene will destroy it faster than you can say "whoops!".

Interesting. It seems to be bad, carcinogenic stuff anyway.

I can rigid tap just fine with regular flood coolant (tried tapping
both steel and aluminum), so I do not need any chlorine based tapping
fluid on my mill.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-05, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus8111 fired this volley in
:

What about chlorinated tapping lubricants?

I can't tell you which ones won't affect it, but I know that
trichlorethylene will destroy it faster than you can say "whoops!".

Interesting. It seems to be bad, carcinogenic stuff anyway.

I can rigid tap just fine with regular flood coolant (tried tapping
both steel and aluminum), so I do not need any chlorine based tapping
fluid on my mill.

It should be easy enough to keep scraps of the Lexan on hand to test any
new fluids on before letting them near the big enclosure.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 06:22:46 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Im curious..will you be posting a picture of the enclosure after the
first part gets away from you and leaves the vise at high speed as well

He's already taken care of that Gunner.

If you read the sign on the wall, it says, "THINK! This machine has no
brain. Use your own."

I'm just wondering... how often should one expect properly mounted and
fixtured parts to "leave the vise at high speed"?

LLoyd

Never seen Gunner at the controls have you? I stood back, could have
sworn that I saw the whole knee lift up to the reciprocal backlash on
a vertical mill.

Someday, I'll get around to fixing and putting back together the free
surface grinder he gave me so I can make a clear coolant catcher also.
I would think plexie glass would be dangerous compared to lexan, you'd
get hit with the part, the bit, and shrapnel.

Need a sign like that also.

SW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-05, Sunworshipper SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote:
Never seen Gunner at the controls have you? I stood back, could have
sworn that I saw the whole knee lift up to the reciprocal backlash on
a vertical mill.

Someday, I'll get around to fixing and putting back together the free
surface grinder he gave me so I can make a clear coolant catcher also.
I would think plexie glass would be dangerous compared to lexan, you'd
get hit with the part, the bit, and shrapnel.

Need a sign like that also.

You do not really need 1/4" thick Lexan. It is an overkill for a
typical milling application on a knee mill. I used 1/4" Lexan for
pretty much one reason, it is easier to glue. 1/8" should work quite
well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 06:22:46 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Im curious..will you be posting a picture of the enclosure after the
first part gets away from you and leaves the vise at high speed as well

He's already taken care of that Gunner.

If you read the sign on the wall, it says, "THINK! This machine has no
brain. Use your own."

I'm just wondering... how often should one expect properly mounted and
fixtured parts to "leave the vise at high speed"?

LLoyd

Once or twice in a lifetime, based on experiences Ive had in commercial
machine shops.

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 07:44:43 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Neither your recollection nor Gunner's dig at all convinces me that a
properly thought out clamping of work is conducive to sending pieces
flying.

It wasnt really a dig at Iggy. Just a heads up.

It really IS a very nice enclosure, as well done as most commerical ones
Ive seen.

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 08:53:31 -0500, Sunworshipper SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote:

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 06:22:46 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
m:

[...]

You still have that beast????

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...rge-Enclosure/

This one is much bigger than my old one, made of 1/4" Lexan
(polycarbonate), glued and the front piece locks in place, by
interlocking with sides (see pictures).

Tomorrow, I will receive 1" square polycarbonate tubing and will glue
those pieces into the rear corners of the enclosure, for extra
stiffness. This would help prevent the glued joints from breaking when
I take the enclosure out or put it back in.

Very nicely done! Bravo!

Im curious..will you be posting a picture of the enclosure after the
first part gets away from you and leaves the vise at high speed as well?

Thanks. I actually tried beating a leftover 1/4" thick piece with a
steel bar. The piece would not shatter. This is a good enough test.

Very good! Lets see what the future holds.

I know I busted my nice and expensive Acrylic splash guard 8 months
after I put mine together. I was tapping a steel 1" bar..and something
happened..I still dont know what..and the work piece came UP out of the
jaws, spun and broke the tap and then hurled it through the back wall of
the splash guard in the blink of an eye. Thank Crom it went through the
back..not the front where I was standing. I tend to tap a bit faster
than most folks...it wasnt pretty.

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 07:45:59 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Pete Keillor fired this volley in
:

Polycarbonate is susceptible to environmental stress cracking. Keep
the solvents away, and keep an eye on it. It can go brittle in a
hurry.

Most lubes won't hurt it, but _anything_ with a chlorinated component can
cause it collapse into "kibbles" in seconds.

LLoyd

Like..tapping fluid?

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 08:12:43 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[...]

Saw it up close the day before yesterday and it's rusting!
I got a huge amount of wheels, would be cool if it was up and running.
The arbor is worn and the brass double fine threaded bearings needs
boring... Needs help. 80% cleaned and painted, but got a better toy at
the moment to burn time.

Surfaced to treading water? Been there done that.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 09:39:22 -0500, Ignoramus8111

On 2011-04-05, Sunworshipper SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote:
Never seen Gunner at the controls have you? I stood back, could have
sworn that I saw the whole knee lift up to the reciprocal backlash on
a vertical mill.

Someday, I'll get around to fixing and putting back together the free
surface grinder he gave me so I can make a clear coolant catcher also.
I would think plexie glass would be dangerous compared to lexan, you'd
get hit with the part, the bit, and shrapnel.

Need a sign like that also.

You do not really need 1/4" thick Lexan. It is an overkill for a
typical milling application on a knee mill. I used 1/4" Lexan for
pretty much one reason, it is easier to glue. 1/8" should work quite
well.

Yeap, they make cubes, triangles like you mentioned. I had to do that
for protecting LCD monitors from the public pushing their fingers and
pens into them, like 'Look funny colors.'

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Like..tapping fluid?

Gunner

You skipped a whole series of posts and replies about just that. (in this
thread).

As I told Ig, I don't know what chlorinated solvents WON'T affect Lexan,
but I know that trichlorethylene will destroy it in under a minute.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Tue, 05 Apr 2011 08:09:53 -0700
On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 06:22:46 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
m:

Im curious..will you be posting a picture of the enclosure after the
first part gets away from you and leaves the vise at high speed as well

He's already taken care of that Gunner.

If you read the sign on the wall, it says, "THINK! This machine has no
brain. Use your own."

I'm just wondering... how often should one expect properly mounted and
fixtured parts to "leave the vise at high speed"?

LLoyd

Once or twice in a lifetime, based on experiences Ive had in commercial
machine shops.

try a two inch thick aluminum plate, twenty inches in diameter.
Out of the lathe chuck - fortunately CNC and all enclosed, but it was
not "a day when not a single **** was given".

Gunner

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...rge-Enclosure/

This one is much bigger than my old one, made of 1/4" Lexan
(polycarbonate), glued and the front piece locks in place, by
interlocking with sides (see pictures).

Tomorrow, I will receive 1" square polycarbonate tubing and will glue
those pieces into the rear corners of the enclosure, for extra
stiffness. This would help prevent the glued joints from breaking when
I take the enclosure out or put it back in.

Very nicely done! Bravo!

Im curious..will you be posting a picture of the enclosure after the
first part gets away from you and leaves the vise at high speed as well?

Thanks. I actually tried beating a leftover 1/4" thick piece with a
steel bar. The piece would not shatter. This is a good enough test.

1/4 Lexan should be way more than adequate. I know first hand it will stop
a .22 magnum out of a wheel gun with a 7" barrel. It also delivers them
back to you. Thank goodness it absorbs most of the energy on impact first.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus24811" wrote in message
news
I like it. Very similar to what I want to do with the Hurco table. Well,
actually I will probably go aluminum sheet on three sides because I have
some aluminum sheet laying out back, but basically that same lay out. Very
nice stuff Iggy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-06, Bob La Londe wrote:
1/4 Lexan should be way more than adequate. I know first hand it will stop
a .22 magnum out of a wheel gun with a 7" barrel. It also delivers them
back to you. Thank goodness it absorbs most of the energy on impact first.

1/4 is thick beyond nececcity, but what is nice about thick Lexan is
that it is stiffer and easier to glue.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-06, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ignoramus24811" wrote in message
news
I like it. Very similar to what I want to do with the Hurco table. Well,
actually I will probably go aluminum sheet on three sides because I have
some aluminum sheet laying out back, but basically that same lay out. Very
nice stuff Iggy.

You know Bob, I think that even if I had free aluminum sheets lying
around, I would still make the enclosure from polycarbonate. It is
very nice to be able to see through all sides of the enclosure. Well,
the rear is, perhaps, not so important, but the three sides are.

I am now finally able to use the rotary table!

Today I have last pieces to glue to it -- 1 inch square tubing pieces
to the back corners -- and I will be fully done.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

On 2011-04-05, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus8111 fired this volley in
:

What about chlorinated tapping lubricants?

I can't tell you which ones won't affect it, but I know that
trichlorethylene will destroy it faster than you can say "whoops!".

Interesting. It seems to be bad, carcinogenic stuff anyway.

I can rigid tap just fine with regular flood coolant (tried tapping
both steel and aluminum), so I do not need any chlorine based tapping
fluid on my mill.

The effect of chlorinated compounds depends on molecular weight.
Solvents have small light molecules, and so can worm their way into
solid plastics.

Chlorinated paraffin, used in for instance Rustlick WS-5050, has very
large molecules which cannot penetrate solid plastics at temperatures
below melting.

I have been using WS-5050 on my lathe, and the lexan guard (made of
3/16" thick heat-bent sheet) shows no ill effects.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-07, Steve Ackman wrote:
In , on Tue, 5 Apr 2011 17:13:18 -0700, Bob La
Londe, wrote:

"Ignoramus8111" wrote in message

Thanks. I actually tried beating a leftover 1/4" thick piece with a
steel bar. The piece would not shatter. This is a good enough test.

1/4 Lexan should be way more than adequate. I know first hand it will stop
a .22 magnum out of a wheel gun with a 7" barrel. It also delivers them
back to you. Thank goodness it absorbs most of the energy on impact first.

After a guy had a 2" grinding wheel spin up to
50,000 rpm on a jig grinder, and it exploded and
sent him right onto the Workman's Comp roles, the
safety guys were trying to figure out what thickness
of Lexan they'd need to surround the machine.

I don't remember the thicknesses, but we took an
afternoon and went to my place to shoot a bunch up.
I do remember that the thickness that stopped a .38
allowed a .22LR through. When you're trying to
penetrate Lexan, velocity counts way more than mass.
The 44mag did amazingly poor at penetration. I
*almost* want to say that the thickness that stopped
the .44 was the same that stopped the .38 but didn't
stop the 22LR, but it was a long time ago, and I didn't
get to keep any of the targets.

Yes indeedy on the delivering back at you. I shot
*a* round of 22LR snake shot at it from too close, and
ended up drawing blood from one of the fingers around
the grip. Good thing the safety guy was there...
;-)

So, what was the magic thickness?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In , on Wed, 06 Apr 2011

On 2011-04-07, Steve Ackman wrote:

but it was a long time ago, and I didn't
get to keep any of the targets.

So, what was the magic thickness?

I really don't recall. Would have been about two
decades ago.

Here's a canopy birdstrike test on an F-16:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibJ3aXrvaCs

Somewhere in there, the thickness they use for the
F/A-18 canopy was involved. If that's one we shot, or
what they ended up using, I just don't recall.

In the end, they went way overkill and surrounded the
jig grinder with thicker than we shot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Im curious..will you be posting a picture of the enclosure after the
first part gets away from you and leaves the vise at high speed as
well

He's already taken care of that Gunner.

If you read the sign on the wall, it says, "THINK! This machine has no
brain. Use your own."

I'm just wondering... how often should one expect properly mounted and
fixtured parts to "leave the vise at high speed"?

LLoyd

If they leave the vise they weren't "properly mounted" .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" fired this volley in news:_c9np.3936$8U5.2637
@newsfe20.iad:

f they leave the vise they weren't "properly mounted" .

Um... yeah... I think that's what I said. G

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-07, Steve Ackman wrote:

but it was a long time ago, and I didn't
get to keep any of the targets.

So, what was the magic thickness?

I really don't recall. Would have been about two
decades ago.

Here's a canopy birdstrike test on an F-16:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibJ3aXrvaCs

Somewhere in there, the thickness they use for the
F/A-18 canopy was involved. If that's one we shot, or
what they ended up using, I just don't recall.

In the end, they went way overkill and surrounded the
jig grinder with thicker than we shot.

That reminds me of the lesson the Brits learned from us.

Those Clever Americans!

The FAA has a device for testing the strength of windshields
on airplanes. They point this thing at the windshield of the
aircraft and shoot a dead chicken at about the speed the air-
craft normally flies at it. If the windshield doesn't break,
it's likely to survive a real collision with a bird during
flight.

The British had recently built a new locomotive that could
pull a train faster than any before it. They were not sure
that its windshield was strong enough so they borrowed the
testing device from the FAA, reset it to approximate the
maximum speed of the locomotive, loaded in the dead chicken,
and fired. The bird went through the windshield, broke the
engineer's chair, and made a major dent in the back wall of
the engine cab.

They were quite surprised with this result, so they asked the
FAA to check the test to see if everything was done correctly.
The FAA checked everything and suggested that they might want
to repeat the test using a thawed chicken.

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-07, Steve Ackman wrote:

[...]

g That story may be apocryphal, but Pratt & Whitney *did* have a turkey
cannon at their Middletown, CT plant. I used to visit P&W in East Hartford
about once a month, and it was a frequent source of cafeteria conversation.

They used it for the "bird ingestion test" on P&W turbines. And they did use
frozen Butterballs, IIRC. I was told not to eat the turkey hash at the
cafeteria. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress