Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Taking a pintle ring out of a military trailer

I am trying to flip the lunette ring down on a military generator
trailer.

I got the nut unscrewed, and I am using the same nut to push the
lunette adaptor out. You see the nut pushing against two steel blocks:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

The damned lunette ring, however, would not budge.

How is it supposed to come out?

My next step, unless I get some great idea, is to retry the same
thing, except that this time I will use Shell Alvania EP grease on the
threads and where the nut touches the steel blocks. I am hoping that
it would increase the force somewhat.

It is probably tapered and rusted in place.

See http://ef.algebra.com/e/380323035195 for how the lunette ring
looks like.

Any great ideas?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Well, it did come out, it took all tension on that nut, plus a force
of a 30 lb sledgehammer.

Before reinserting it upside down, I wonder if, perhaps, I should
grease the conical, tapered surfaces? It will prevent further rust,
but perhaps it would be unsafe due to less friction?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 17:44:24 -0500, Ignoramus25197
wrote:

Well, it did come out, it took all tension on that nut, plus a force
of a 30 lb sledgehammer.

Man o man..and here I was thinking that my 16lb sledge was an utter
bitch.....

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CEoQ8wIwAg#

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...qhTtdxO3bjAhN7...

The damned lunette ring, however, would not budge.

How is it supposed to come out?

My next step, unless I get some great idea, is to retry the same
thing, except that this time I will use Shell Alvania EP grease on the
threads and where the nut touches the steel blocks. I am hoping that
it would increase the force somewhat.

It is probably tapered and rusted in place.

Seehttp://ef.algebra.com/e/380323035195for how the lunette ring
looks like.

Any great ideas?

You probably could have compounded the force a bit by making 2 blocks
with a slight taper to each that you could adjust with a bolt so that
the two parallel faces get farther apart as you tighten the screw.
With this assembly substituting for the large steel block in your
first picture, you could have coaxed a whole lot of force in the
direction you needed. After all with a locking taper all you need do
is to get it to move just a little bit.

Also looking at the photo, you might have been flexing the plate that
the blocks were against. If you could have shored that up a bit it
might have gone a bit easier also.

Roger Shoaf