Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anyone needs a military M105A2 trailer

I won a great condition M105A2 trailer (judged by pictures, sight
unseen but the wheels look inflated and it looked good). I bought it,
because it was cheap to me (really, I bought by accident) and has nice
stake sides and top, which is what I want. I bid only for the sides
and top.

I do not need the trailer itself. I can sell it very cheap, especially
if you can pick up on short notice. I am not sure when I will get it
becaue I need to get approval of EUC.

It looks somewhat like this.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/m...364/m101-2.jpg

I can take $250 for it.

You may need to do some military paperwork to get proper title.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-10, Steve Lusardi wrote:
I'm curious. Did you buy this directly from DRMO or did somebody else make the initial government purchase?
Steve

I am the initial buyer. Prior to this, govt was the owner.

That's why I am filling out EUC paperwork (sucks big time). This EUC
is done so that our enemies, like North Korea, cannot lay their hands
on this beautiful trailer.

"Ignoramus13544" wrote in message ...
I won a great condition M105A2 trailer (judged by pictures, sight
unseen but the wheels look inflated and it looked good). I bought it,
because it was cheap to me (really, I bought by accident) and has nice
stake sides and top, which is what I want. I bid only for the sides
and top.

I do not need the trailer itself. I can sell it very cheap, especially
if you can pick up on short notice. I am not sure when I will get it
becaue I need to get approval of EUC.

It looks somewhat like this.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/m...364/m101-2.jpg

I can take $250 for it.

You may need to do some military paperwork to get proper title.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-10, Ignoramus13544 wrote:
I won a great condition M105A2 trailer (judged by pictures, sight
unseen but the wheels look inflated and it looked good). I bought it,
because it was cheap to me (really, I bought by accident) and has nice
stake sides and top, which is what I want. I bid only for the sides
and top.

I was able to rescue the pictures from the govliquidation
website. Here they are.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/M105A2/

As you can see, it is in great condition.

The specs on it is 1.5 ton load, while driving under enemy fire in the
jungles of Viet Nam.

As it is, it is too tall to be used with a pickup truck (good for a
full size truck). You either need to make a tow bar adapter, or to get
a new drop axle. I would recommend the latter, as that would also let
you use regular electric brake that you can buy with the drop axle.
The cost of that sort of axle is $200 from Dexter.

Again, stakes are not included in what I am selling -- I want the
stakes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-10, Ignoramus13544 wrote:
I won a great condition M105A2 trailer (judged by pictures, sight
unseen but the wheels look inflated and it looked good). I bought it,
because it was cheap to me (really, I bought by accident) and has nice
stake sides and top, which is what I want. I bid only for the sides
and top.

I was able to rescue the pictures from the govliquidation
website. Here they are.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/M105A2/

As you can see, it is in great condition.

Except for the mostly unreadable weight and dimension data plate...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-10, Ignoramus13544 wrote:
I won a great condition M105A2 trailer (judged by pictures, sight
unseen but the wheels look inflated and it looked good). I bought it,
because it was cheap to me (really, I bought by accident) and has nice
stake sides and top, which is what I want. I bid only for the sides
and top.

I was able to rescue the pictures from the govliquidation
website. Here they are.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/M105A2/

As you can see, it is in great condition.

Except for the mostly unreadable weight and dimension data plate...

The label sucks. I added some info to that webpage with NSN
information. It is 166 inches long and 83 inches wide. I would guess
that it weighs 1,700 lbs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-10, Ignoramus13544 wrote:
I won a great condition M105A2 trailer (judged by pictures, sight
unseen but the wheels look inflated and it looked good). I bought it,
because it was cheap to me (really, I bought by accident) and has nice
stake sides and top, which is what I want. I bid only for the sides
and top.

I was able to rescue the pictures from the govliquidation
website. Here they are.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/M105A2/

As you can see, it is in great condition.

Except for the mostly unreadable weight and dimension data plate...

The label sucks. I added some info to that webpage with NSN
information. It is 166 inches long and 83 inches wide. I would guess
that it weighs 1,700 lbs.

The plate and your data seem to indicate a coupler height range of 20
1/4" - 34 1/2", and a GVWR of ~4,700# which would make the trailer
suitable for use with any full sized pickup.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4779 wrote:

On 2010-09-10, Ignoramus13544 wrote:
[...]

Hm, that would be cool if true. I will see when I pick it up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4779 wrote:

On 2010-09-10, Ignoramus13544 wrote:
[...]

Brakes, the air-hydraulic drum brakes on the trailer should be able
to be converted with the addition of a hydraulic brake actuator ($140 at
Northern Tool), to provide self contained hydraulic surge braking and a
normal 2" ball hitch, without any modifications to the existing axle or
suspension.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-10, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus4779 wrote:

On 2010-09-10, Ignoramus13544 wrote:
[...]

This is pretty cool. I now wonder if I took the optimal approach to
making my own trailer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-10, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus4779 wrote:

On 2010-09-10, Ignoramus13544 wrote:
[...]

Multiple approaches, each has benefits / drawbacks.

I've not personally seen one of these trailers up close, so I'm making
some educated assumptions on the brake system. Since your spec indicates
air-hydraulic brakes, and from the pictures I don't see any sort of air
brake cylinders on the axle, I'm assuming that the axle has hydraulic
drum brakes and there is an air-over-hydraulic actuator buried under the
trailer somewhere. The assumption is you can ditch the air-hydraulic
actuator, and plumb the brakes to the noted $140 hydraulic brake
actuator coupler, and of course mount the actuator coupler in place of
the pintle / lunette eye.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 00:33:14 -0500, Ignoramus13544
wrote:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/m...364/m101-2.jpg

Oh man...I wish I was closer!!!!

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 09:09:27 -0500, "Pete C."

On 2010-09-10, Ignoramus13544 wrote:
I won a great condition M105A2 trailer (judged by pictures, sight
unseen but the wheels look inflated and it looked good). I bought it,
because it was cheap to me (really, I bought by accident) and has nice
stake sides and top, which is what I want. I bid only for the sides
and top.

I was able to rescue the pictures from the govliquidation
website. Here they are.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/M105A2/

As you can see, it is in great condition.

Except for the mostly unreadable weight and dimension data plate...

Use a good photographic program such as Irfanview and work it up.
Changing it to black and white often helps and increase contrast a bit.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This is pretty cool. I now wonder if I took the optimal approach to
making my own trailer.

Yours sits quite a bit lower, which I'm sure helps it tow better,
especially with topheavy machine tools...
--Glenn Lyford