Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Forming metal caps

Recently I've taken to making fuel tanks for model airplanes out of old
Dole pineapple cans (because they're tinned on both sides). The
construction is fairly simple: you make a tube, usually pentagonal,
that's the main body of the fuel tank. Then you make end caps for the
tube, you poke a few holes for the brass fuel lines, then you solder
everything up.

Right now I'm making the end caps the same way you'd make a box: I'm
cutting pie-shaped sections out of the corners, so that everything folds
nicely with no excess material.

But I'd like to do this the way the "big boys" do: I'd like to have an
end cap with no seams or slits or whatever. Is there a way to accomplish
this with hand tools? Somehow I think if I just made a female die out of
oak or whatever, and whacked a flat sheet into it with a male die, that
I'd end up with something either ripped or wrinkled.

So: How? Or, what terms should I be searching on?

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Copper/metal gate post caps Richard UK diy 9 July 8th 08 09:16 PM
A different kind of metal forming Stupendous Man Metalworking 6 May 28th 08 07:03 PM
Metal Forming Rob[_14_] Metalworking 2 May 26th 08 07:53 PM
Can I use raw oak to make soft-metal forming blocks ? Jman[_2_] Woodworking 2 February 27th 08 08:08 AM
sheet metal forming pressures Steve Schlaifer Metalworking 5 September 21st 07 06:15 PM